Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Brew day today Stone and Wood Pacific Ale Clone, hit my numbers perfectly, hydrometer reads a couple of points low. Wort with pitched yeast is in the fridge with it’s seatbelt on. The Pilsner has been taken out the fridge to make way for the ale and clean itself up at ambient temperature and will go back in later for cold crash.

765B4883-BE85-4DA1-93B7-BA0A16B5D697.png

5CCD642F-235E-4242-93DB-5E89B9E8CE59.jpeg

F1FBEE3B-699D-46F4-B057-54AFD1526DF1.jpeg

• Like 7

On 5/18/2021 at 12:56 AM, stquinto said:

could taste of kippers... 

Haha just pour and then add a few drips of this.... and you'll think you are back in Whitby with the finest smoked kippers in the world hahaha ; )

image.thumb.png.7bf010767c0ad09097f1391b6c82dcfc.png

• Haha 2

On 5/18/2021 at 12:56 AM, stquinto said:

but your one looks a decent drop 👍

On 5/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, MitchBastard said:

your version is looking great!

Haha Lads yeah mine that Rauchbier was really very very nice - sort of like my Altbier which is quite full bodied (more so than traditional Alts) and then with the super smokey tones...

One could imbibe a few in a session without too much trouble... I was inspired as years ago I did find myself in Bamberg at some Fest and slurped a few 'Halben' of the Rauchbier upon encouragement of me Bavarian Cobber.... and so with that as inspiration was keen to try.

I shouldn't talk it down but it is now for me a bit of a "been there -- done that" Beer haha... but I guess if I wanted to present an array of very different brews it would be quite nice to include one of those as it does stand out on its own in the BBJ big beer spectrum. 

I did use tiny bits in Stouts as well but am not in a raging hurry to procure any more of the Smokey Boy... happy with Roasted Barley, Carafa II and III and Chocolate Malts...

Mmm might be time to brew up another Stout haha! 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:34 AM, CLASSIC said:

Well that does it, I will bin it. Thankyou for your help @ChristinaS1

Mate don't bin the Dex - just throw it in with a beer with other good ingredients... it just cranks the ABV... if you have other good stuff in the brew - the beer will work out fine.  The Dex will not detract from the beer IMHO. 

It's just if you use only Dex.. then you are closer to Megaswill... don't waste the fermentable resource Phil @CLASSIC

I threw a kilo into an AG IPA (cos I had it left over from KnK and) being worried about not having enough fermentables from the mash... in the end the Big Fella was like above 8% and flamin' Rocket Fuel haha! 

See the terrible dry surrounds... was just as the nasty fires were starting up... the fella holding the cup went home with a seriously wobbly boot on but was about 50kg lighter than me tho so was probs a bit unfair to unleash the big roaring beast upon him...  see the big problem with good beer is that it can taste great and the octane disappears under the beaut malt and hops 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.d1ed979b3f26c0f101514a3fbcc64325.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Mate don't bin the Dex - just throw it in with a beer with other good ingredients... it just cranks the ABV... if you have other good stuff in the brew - the beer will work out fine.  The Dex will not detract from the beer IMHO. 

It's just if you use only Dex.. then you are closer to Megaswill... don't waste the fermentable resource Phil @CLASSIC

I threw a kilo into an AG IPA (cos I had it left over from KnK and) being worried about not having enough fermentables from the mash... in the end the Big Fella was like above 8% and flamin' Rocket Fuel haha! 

See the terrible dry surrounds... was just as the nasty fires were starting up... the fella holding the cup went home with a seriously wobbly boot on but was about 50kg lighter than me tho so was probs a bit unfair to unleash the big roaring beast upon him...  see the big problem with good beer is that it can taste great and the octane disappears under the beaut malt and hops 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.d1ed979b3f26c0f101514a3fbcc64325.png

Howdy Grauster,

Yeah I will follow your advice & use it with other goodies. It would be a shame to waste anything you can make beer with. Beer looks good, powerful brute !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah I will follow your advice & use it with other goodies.

I threw a kilo of white sugar in my RIS, I usually do too. Helps give it that alcohol warmth a RIS needs.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DeviantLogic said:

Today I put on a Scotch Ale. Been meaning to do this one for a while. After my experience using BE, I am a little unsure about the addition of so much brown sugar (500g), but I suppose time will tell if it turns out alright. 

@DeviantLogic   Please do not think I am being sarcastic or anything but I get nervous when I see FV's full of beer sitting on a wire rack in the fridge, You may very well have this under control, however another way is to remove the racks & place a thick piece of wood or something solid on the floor of the fridge to raise the tap high enough to take gravity readings.

A litre of beer weighs around 1Kilo, so 20-23 litres is a fair weight to have dangling on a shelf.

Just my two bobs worth, feel free to ignore it.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, CLASSIC said:

@DeviantLogic   Please do not think I am being sarcastic or anything but I get nervous when I see FV's full of beer sitting on a wire rack in the fridge, You may very well have this under control, however another way is to remove the racks & place a thick piece of wood or something solid on the floor of the fridge to raise the tap high enough to take gravity readings.

A litre of beer weighs around 1Kilo, so 20-23 litres is a fair weight to have dangling on a shelf.

Cheers.

Graculus made a similar remark last time, hence my tagging them in the post with reference to a trip to Bunnings. Honestly, I know I should reinforce it, but this is brew #9 and all has been well so far. Famous last words, but I am not particularly worried about it. I will get around to it, but right now is the pointy end of semester so it's relatively unlikely I will do so before the Scotch ale is bottled (or spilled everywhere, depending on my luck, haha).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers.

I’ve found two cans of xxxx gold and a piece of wood do the trick giving the shelf support. That was a temporary insurance about 2 1/2 years ago🤔 probably should swap them with something else a bit more sturdy and post them to @Graubart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 1:41 PM, CLASSIC said:

Beer looks good, powerful brute !

Phoooooo hahaha was bllllardy rocket fuel @CLASSIC Phil... blew me cobber's socks off and we sent him off with a terribly wobbly boot on... was probs in 30s at around 5pm and the fires were just starting in the Wollemi so was hot weather and the brew was flowing ; )

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:45 PM, DeviantLogic said:

Graculus made a similar remark last time, hence my tagging them in the post with reference to a trip to Bunnings. Honestly, I know I should reinforce it, but this is brew #9 and all has been well so far. Famous last words, but I am not particularly worried about it. I will get around to it, but right now is the pointy end of semester so it's relatively unlikely I will do so before the Scotch ale is bottled (or spilled everywhere, depending on my luck, haha).

On 5/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, RDT2 said:

I’ve found two cans of xxxx gold and a piece of wood do the trick giving the shelf support. That was a temporary insurance about 2 1/2 years ago🤔 probably should swap them with something else a bit more sturdy and post them to @Graubart

Haha @RDT2 RD - Woohoo 🥳 I was just about to suggest your system and then saw you had beat me to it hahaha - best use for XXXX Gold I have ever seen... so @DeviantLogic Devlogger I provide you with a beautiful picture for your edification... as for me...  I utilise a tupperware cylinder and two plastic cutting boards... one day I will get around to upgrading haha like you too @RDT2 RD ; )

image.thumb.png.7e988ed3d475ec895f321a89e39b2be0.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Phoooooo hahaha was bllllardy rocket fuel @CLASSIC Phil... blew me cobber's socks off and we sent him off with a terribly wobbly boot on... was probs in 30s at around 5pm and the fires were just starting in the Wollemi so was hot weather and the brew was flowing ; )

So your mates can't keep up with the Master, mine is probably not as strong as some of yours but some of my mates are sissy's when you serve something up that gives you wings !

It is nice to have company, for sure but maybe they should drink the swamp water at the pub & save the good stuff for us.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 2:39 PM, DeviantLogic said:

Today I put on a Scotch Ale. Been meaning to do this one for a while.

i think i might give that one a go.. have 4 cans of amber coming in the post early next week and never used the Innkeeper's daughter can before. good luck with the brew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Haha @RDT2 RD - Woohoo 🥳 I was just about to suggest your system and then saw you had beat me to it hahaha - best use for XXXX Gold I have ever seen... so @DeviantLogic Devlogger I provide you with a beautiful picture for your edification... as for me...  I utilise a tupperware cylinder and two plastic cutting boards... one day I will get around to upgrading haha like you too @RDT2 RD ; )

image.thumb.png.7e988ed3d475ec895f321a89e39b2be0.png

👍

• Haha 1

Back on Topic - Wooohooo first brew in a while - HW - Hefeweizen - Voyager Winter Wheat + Weyermann Pils + Voyager Vienna freshly milled... Rainwater (it's all I have)... Hops Mandarina Bavaria some @60 and then some at FO once the temp had dropped down to 84 deg C... now cooling down overnight with the desert no-chill water saving fan method ; )  A few stages below:

Last one far right bottom is the end product of brew day - hot wort cooling down overnight w fan.... and heating my kitch haha... Brewing is a Winter Sport 😋

image.thumb.png.2b2fb42512f93fcba1a68029dd61bbbe.png

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

So your mates can't keep up with the Master, mine is probably not as strong as some of yours but some of my mates are sissy's when you serve something up that gives you wings !

It is nice to have company, for sure but maybe they should drink the swamp water at the pub & save the good stuff for us.

Haha @CLASSIC Phil... as they say... cruel but fair haha 🏴‍☠️

Edited by Graubart

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Back on Topic - Wooohooo first brew in a while - HW - Hefeweizen - Voyager Winter Wheat + Weyermann Pils + Voyager Vienna freshly milled... Rainwater (it's all I have)... Hops Mandarina Bavaria some @60 and then some at FO once the temp had dropped down to 84 deg C... now cooling down overnight with the desert no-chill water saving fan method ; )  A few stages below:

Last one far right bottom is the end product of brew day - hot wort cooling down overnight w fan.... and heating my kitch haha... Brewing is a Winter Sport 😋

image.thumb.png.2b2fb42512f93fcba1a68029dd61bbbe.png

Awesome Graubster, very organised & precise, you make AG look easy. Well done, take the rest of the day off.

• Haha 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

Awesome Graubster, very organised & precise, you make AG look easy. Well done, take the rest of the day off.

Haha @CLASSIC Phil 😆

Hadn't brewed for cuppla months as was actually terribly concerned I would muck it up... after having done something like 8 brews in the prior cuppla months ; )

Hopefully I will have a good run tomorrow when it goes into the sterilised Fermenter and yeast is pitched... that to me is always the pinch point - critical step - as that is where you could (not usually) end up with wild yeast or other infection... anyway.... will do me best : )

I do love a beer but I always do me brewing sober and wait till everything is 'stable' before I crack one... need to get the boat anchored up well and everything settled before firing up haha 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Haha @CLASSIC Phil 😆

Hadn't brewed for cuppla months as was actually terribly concerned I would muck it up... after having done something like 8 brews in the prior cuppla months ; )

Hopefully I will have a good run tomorrow when it goes into the sterilised Fermenter and yeast is pitched... that to me is always the pinch point - critical step - as that is where you could (not usually) end up with wild yeast or other infection... anyway.... will do me best : )

I do love a beer but I always do me brewing sober and wait till everything is 'stable' before I crack one... need to get the boat anchored up well and everything settled before firing up haha 😋

I think you have got it under control. I don't mind a beer whilst brewing but I am only making a cup of tea compared to what you have going on. 

But the Devil Drink can get us all. 😧

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 2:39 PM, DeviantLogic said:

Today I put on a Scotch Ale. Been meaning to do this one for a while. After my experience using BE, I am a little unsure about the addition of so much brown sugar (500g), but I suppose time will tell if it turns out alright. 

@Graculus I'm still procrastinating that trip to Bunnings.

524603626_ScotchAle.thumb.jpg.cedf39c70215eaa5960cbccda1afb6d2.jpg

Ah, that's alright mate.

I've had a bad day at work. Came home & had a lager and thought I wouldn't mind a bottle of the Coopers Imperial Russian stout I made a couple of years ago.
I'm now on the second bottle. It's 10%, so I beginning not to care about anything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1