Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

4 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Just to be pedantic, Crystal does not mark a Partial.
Does not NEED to be mashed and conversion has already occurred and the resultant grain cooked thus caramelising the sugars.
Pale malt needs a mash so the enzymes within the grain can be fired up to convert the starch within the grain to fermentable sugar.

OK GB, that's really helpful, thank you. I will work through it as best I can. Thanks for your help.

Just now, Green Blob said:

Nah, should be poured into the sink.
Not a fan all all.

But if someone wanted to add some malted grain influence... is not Crystal Steep then Boil the closest easiest thing...

If cannot do Partial or AG?

Are you not a lover of Crystal as a whole @Green Blob Blobski?

Just now, Graubart said:

if cannot do Partial or AG?

Surely is a crystal malt steep can be done then a mash can be? 
I'll contradict myself and say they are basically both the same thing. 65° water with crushed pale malt in it for half an hour (say a kg) is no harder than steeping 250g of crystal is it?

No, not a fan pf the cloying sweetness that crystal can bring if not used with care. Think 4 Pines Pale @Graubart - drink that on tap after a homebrew and you will know what I mean.

@CLASSIC - certainly not having a chop at you mate, your willingness to learn and improve is great. Maybe do a side by side, one pale using the 250g crystal and another using a kg of ale malt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

I'll contradict myself and say they are basically both the same thing. 65° water with crushed pale malt in it for half an hour (say a kg) is no harder than steeping 250g of crystal is it?

No, not a fan pf the cloying sweetness that crystal can bring if not used with care. Think 4 Pines Pale @Graubart - drink that on tap after a homebrew and you will know what I mean.

@CLASSIC - certainly not having a chop at you mate, your willingness to learn and improve is great. Maybe do a side by side, one pale using the 250g crystal and another using a kg of ale malt.

Absolutely, I understand, you guys are the Masters, as Frasier Crane says "I'm Listening " 

Any advice from you guys is worth it's weight in gold, I am happy with my beers, but I can see the difference in yours, 🍻

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, Goldcoast Crow said:

That's the gold I was hoping for, someone with more knowledge helping out, yes I forgot to add I would be dropping a hop bag in each just not sure which way yet.... 

So I got the gear Today, went with a dark ale as opposed to the amber I eluded to.... Will still run the same markers as above to get about a 4% beer across all 3 methods..... Wish me luck

Edited by Goldcoast Crow
  • Like 3

<20% (by weight) sugar is not going to hurt anything and as @Tone boy mentioned helps to dry out the beer, if a drier beer is what you are after.

If <20% of the fermentables is all you are using, it makes no difference whether you use dextrose or table sugar....Wait, that is not quite true: you get slightly more ABV from table sugar. I find dextrose overpriced and unnecessary as I never use more than 10% by weight.

Many classic recipes use 10% of a characterful sugar like raw sugar, Demerara, Belgian Candi sugar, Lyle's Golden syrup, or honey. 

Table sugar is what I use for priming bottles. I have never tried using DME to prime bottles but have read it can make your bottles harder to clean.

If you want to use sugar for >20% of the fermentable to save money, then dextrose is better than table sugar, as the yeast do not have to split it into its component parts first and it is easier for them to digest. You may also wish to use maltodextrin to build the body of the beer back up. This is what Coopers does with their "Brew Enhancers." For example BE1 contains a whopping 600gm dextrose and 400gm maltodextrin. Note that when calculating the percentage fermentables it is important to convert LME to its DME equivalent, as LME is ~20% water. Honey and Lyle's Golden syrup are also ~20% water, but as you are only using a small amount, most people don't bother taking this into account. 

1.7kg kit x 0.80 = 1.36kg DME

1.36kg + 600gm + 400gm = 2.36kg

57.6% + 25.4% + 16.9% = 100%

BE1 is the worst of the Brew Enhancers from a quality perspective. Considering the low cost of dextrose and maltodextrin, the profit margins on Brew Enhancers must be huge.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Classic the way I see it is if the dextrose does not affect the taste or body as such, then throw it in 🙂

It does not affect the taste. It does affect the body (thins it). It will make your beer more like Mega swill, which often contain adjuncts as well.

Cheers, Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Green Blob said:
16 hours ago, Graubart said:

if cannot do Partial or AG?

Hey G Blobster @Green Blob,  thanks for all the info on partials etc; fascinating stuff mate and thanks for posting. I've been wanting to try partials but been reticent until I get the elementary stuff right first. I think I'm ready to have a crack at partials just gotta do a bit of research first me thinks.

• Like 1

Ok 40ltrs of goodness in the fvs..... Now to let nature do its thing..... 

10ltrs 1/2 can coopers apa w/1/2 box be2, og1046

10ltrs 1/2 can coopers dark ale w/500gr liquid malt, og1042

20ltrs 1/2 can coopers apa, 1/2 can coopers dark ale, 1/2box be2, 500 gr liquid malt, og1046

IMG_20210516_111927.jpg

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Well Coopers use POR in their commercial Pale Ale.

Perfect, that was the hope, I read the some thing similar, if I get the similar taste to a coopers pale I will be over joyous as it is my favourite comercial beer. 

Just wasn't sure on what to use they the darker styles. 

5 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Perfect, that was the hope, I read the some thing similar, if I get the similar taste to a coopers pale I will be over joyous as it is my favourite comercial beer. 

Just wasn't sure on what to use they the darker styles. 

@Graubart  or @Shamus O'Sean should be hovering around to help you with that.

Edited by CLASSIC

52 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Looking at chucking a pride of ringwood into the pale ale, Hallertau into the dark and galaxy Into the mixed apa/dark, looking for a guide to see if these suit or whether I should head in a different track

mate there is no wrong answer you won't know what like until try it if not comp brewing forget about styles or what usually happens.

• Thanks 1

86 days pilsner

Coopers 86 days pils 1.7kg

Coops Liquid Wheat Malt 1.5kg 

250 gram light dry malt 

25 gram Hallertau hop tea 10 steep 5 lid on half litre water about 90 degrees.

yeast slurry from Euro lager half Euro kit yeast 1 pack dubbya pitched 19 degrees set BF to 17. will turn down to 12 in 5 hours or so.

just under 21 litres OG:1.052

20210516_141357.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Looking at chucking a pride of ringwood into the pale ale, Hallertau into the dark and galaxy Into the mixed apa/dark, looking for a guide to see if these suit or whether I should head in a different track

I agree with @jamiek86 on this.  Your plan sounds fine, but you will not know for sure until you do it.   Below are some of my thoughts

• I have not dry hopped with Pride of Rongwood, but I have read it goes okay.
  • I did a dry hop of Hallertauer in the Abbey Dubbel recipe instead of Saaz.  Anything it added was pretty hard to pick because of the spicy yeast aroma and flavour going on.
  • Galaxy is a classic dry hop in dark beers, especially Black IPA's.  I have used it this way in a number of beers.  You're on a winner there.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:32 PM, Graubart said:

Now @MitchBastard Mitchie... truly spoken... so have you done a Rauchbier as per the famous Bamberger?  Is unique flavour but very taschty every now and then ; ) 

The below a commercial version... 

image.thumb.png.4c0824b45ccc08bd164fedb82d4901a4.png

Mine ; )

image.thumb.png.a67eb16f2821b7dd556a141bebf99580.png

Hey mate, I haven’t done a Smokey boy before. I’ve read a bunch about certain drops and the malt and stories behind them. Not sure I’d knock off a whole keg in a hurry though. 

A few months ago I jumped on a brewery tour and one of the breweries had a smoked sour in tank that they let us sample. It really was nice. Two very weird pairings but it worked a treat. 

your version is looking great!

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:32 AM, Graubart said:

Now @MitchBastard Mitchie... truly spoken... so have you done a Rauchbier as per the famous Bamberger?  Is unique flavour but very taschty every now and then ; ) 

The below a commercial version... 

image.thumb.png.4c0824b45ccc08bd164fedb82d4901a4.png

Mine ; )

image.thumb.png.a67eb16f2821b7dd556a141bebf99580.png

Hey @Graubart, I know that one - I can get it where I am. Could only manage one in a session : doesn't half taste of smoked ham ! Could be worse I suppose: could taste of kippers... 

• Haha 2