Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

On 5/13/2021 at 12:53 AM, CLASSIC said:

Has anyone tried this Wheat Beer, I got it for $15 on the discount shelf at LBHS Reg Retail $27.50. Best Before is 10/04/21, still worth doing I feel, I will use a different yeast.

Should be a lot different to what I have been brewing lately.

Cheers.

20210513_125957 (2).jpg

To make a wheat beer, next time use wheat DME and not light DME, and wheat yeast of course.

Wheat malt extracts of all types (liquid / dry, bittered / unbittered) are usually only 60% wheat and 40% barley. If you use light DME you reduce the percentage of wheat by about half.

A combo of a wheat kit and light DME, or an APA kit and wheat DME are good bases for NEIPAs, along with the appropriate yeast and hops.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

To make a wheat beer, next time use wheat DME and not light DME, and wheat yeast of course.

Wheat malt extracts of all types (liquid / dry, bittered / unbittered) are usually only 60% wheat and 40% barley. If you use light DME you reduce the percentage of wheat by about half.

A combo of a wheat kit and light DME, or an APA kit and wheat DME are good bases for NEIPAs, along with the appropriate yeast and hops.

Cheers,

Christina.

Lovely to read your posts as always @ChristinaS1

I knight you Queen of this forum. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Cheers,

Christina.

Thank you for your comments @ChristinaS1 I appreciate your input, in this instance I was taking advantage of the marked down price of the Wheat Extract & using what I had in stock, however I have noted your comments & it does make sense. I was under the impression Dextrose married with Wheat nicely.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I was under the impression Dextrose married with Wheat nicely.

I have a good memory of what once @PB2 the great Coopers Administrator/Coach said to me...

A good beer Dex does not make...

It will give you ABV but that is about it... 

But probs is better than using Cane Sugar in the KnK combo...

But is nothing on dry malt and nothing like liquid malt... or partials... or graining

Anyway - there are many ways to brew a beer and sometimes using Dex might be useful 

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

I have a good memory of what once @PB2 the great Coopers Administrator/Coach said to me...

A good beer Dex does not make...

It will give you ABV but that is about it... 

But probs is better than using Cane Sugar in the KnK combo...

But is nothing on dry malt and nothing like liquid malt... or partials... or graining

Anyway - there are many ways to brew a beer and sometimes using Dex might be useful 

I am quite open to advice as I haven't made the brew yet, so might forgo the Dex & use something else, any ideas ?

18 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

It’s all smoke

Now @MitchBastard Mitchie... truly spoken... so have you done a Rauchbier as per the famous Bamberger?  Is unique flavour but very taschty every now and then ; ) 

The below a commercial version... 

image.thumb.png.4c0824b45ccc08bd164fedb82d4901a4.png

Mine ; )

image.thumb.png.a67eb16f2821b7dd556a141bebf99580.png

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am quite open to advice as I haven't made the brew yet, so might forgo the Dex & use something else, any ideas ?

Other KnK Guns might help here... but you could make it as is - and see how it goes - or potentially bring in a tin of Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt...  as well as whatever you got there...  also depends upon how many Litres... big or small fermenter...  but as @ChristinaS1 Christina notes would be better with Wheat DME... 

Anyway hey - so many different combos are possible...  but what is super-critical is that you have a Weissbier / Wheat Beer yeast... if you want a Wheat Beer outcome. 

10 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Other KnK Guns might help here... but you could make it as is - and see how it goes - or potentially bring in a tin of Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt...  as well as whatever you got there...  also depends upon how many Litres... big or small fermenter...  but as @ChristinaS1 Christina notes would be better with Wheat DME... 

Anyway hey - so many different combos are possible...  but what is super-critical is that you have a Weissbier / Wheat Beer yeast... if you want a Wheat Beer outcome. 

OK the owner of the LHBS suggested this combo when I bought the 1.7kg Can of Black Rock Whispering Wheat & also said to use 250gm LDME & the Dextrose - for the sake of an experiment I don't mind, however as I said earlier I can hold off & buy some Wheat Yeast & DME as @ChristinaS1 suggested.

I will be doing 23L so I probably would be happy anyway.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Hey @CLASSIC Phil. I usually chuck in about 250g of dextrose in my brews. I like a dry finish and find that amount is good for my taste. I probably wouldn’t chuck in a kilo, but I’ve never done it so take my comments with a grain of malt. 
If I wanted a fuller flavoured brew I’d leave the dextrose for bottle priming...and substitute with LDME 

• Like 2

Saturday Brew Day, COOPERS DRAUGHT - gotta keep the fermenters working, only problem is stock is backing up so I need to drink faster lol.

You may also notice the sneaky Munich Lager just to spur me on, 3 months in the bottle & the overall flavour is better than previous versions as this was done with extra malt, hops etc & the head holds well also. 

Have a good Saturday Brewers.

COOPERS DRAUGHT.jpg

20210515_130346 (2).jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @CLASSIC Phil. I usually chuck in about 250g of dextrose in my brews. I like a dry finish and find that amount is good for my taste. I probably wouldn’t chuck in a kilo, but I’ve never done it so take my comments with a grain of malt. 
If I wanted a fuller flavoured brew I’d leave the dextrose for bottle priming...and substitute with LDME 

Well I already have the LDME ready to go it is just the Dex that's come up in the discussions, I am not that fussy as the Can of Wheat Beer was Half Price.

I appreciate your comments all the same.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Classic the way I see it is if the dextrose does not affect the taste or body as such, then throw it in 🙂

Funny you should say that, I have never used Dextrose in my life, it was only the other day when I bought the Can Of Wheat Extract the LHBS guy said that would be a good match, personally I don't care if I use it or not, so as I won't be buying anymore of it, what the hell, as you say, throw it in. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Funny you should say that, I have never used Dextrose in my life, it was only the other day when I bought the Can Of Wheat Extract the LHBS guy said that would be a good match, personally I don't care if I use it or not, so as I won't be buying anymore of it, what the hell, as you say, throw it in. 

To get that bit of extra punch out of the beer I use it instead of sugar. But, now I am trying more malt I need to cut back on it to keep the ABV down a bit. But, in saying that lol I may have to make up a batch with a bit more kick for the winter months. Cheers.

Just now, Barramullafella said:

To get that bit of extra punch out of the beer I use it instead of sugar. But, now I am trying more malt I need to cut back on it to keep the ABV down a bit. But, in saying that lol I may have to make up a batch with a bit more kick for the winter months. Cheers.

I am finding the Liquid Malt Extract & also a dry addition ie: BE as Graubster keeps pointing out to his credit & of course I am a bit of a hop freak so they go in, but I am yet to find the real purpose of Dextrose as it gets a lot of bad press. 

I am not that worried about the ABV & I like gutsy Dark Ales/Stouts etc, it sorta warms you up in the winter, dosen't it. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

@CLASSIC Phil our mate @Tone boy Toner has got it in one I reckon...  or just use that dex up distributed across a few different brews?

Or as @Barramullafella Barra says - just throw it in why not... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Good point Graubster, 250 gm here, 250gm there, wouldn't hurt.

It can't be that bad or why would it be on the market ?

It's not about Dex being bad so much as there are better things available.... hence why @PB2 statement "Dex does not a good beer make"...  this was in answer to me saying I had moved off using KnK cane sugar and gone to Dex and was thinking that was an important move.... PB2 was encouraging me on my BBJ to find the ingredients that make a better beer... 

It's all that other stuff related to malted grain that makes KnK Beer good... like the syrup liquid kit... maybe a tin of liquid malt... maybe some dry malt... maybe a partial

And then there are times where if you want to hold the body down to a certain level but want a bit more ABV then Dex is useful.

HTH

Edited by Graubart

22 minutes ago, Graubart said:

It's not about Dex being bad so much as there are better things available.... hence why @PB2 statement "Dex does not a good beer make"...  this was in answer to me saying I had moved off using KnK cane sugar and gone to Dex and was thinking that was an important move.... PB2 was encouraging me on my BBJ to find the ingredients that make a better beer... 

It's all that other stuff related to malted grain that makes KnK Beer good... like the syrup liquid kit... maybe a tin of liquid malt... maybe some dry malt... maybe a partial

And then there are times where if you want to hold the body down to a certain level but want a bit more ABV then Dex is useful.

HTH

I totally get your point Graubster & yes it does help clear it up, I will just use it up as an addition to the next few brews, it was only $6 anyway.

The next brews I do will all contain a PM as I have built up a stock of grain in various amounts 250/500gms etc but I need to make sure I am using the right one for the right brew, so far I have Light Crystal, Pale Ale Malt & some GLadfield.

The same as Hops I have 250gm packs of POR/Vic Secret/Eclipse/Goldings/Hallertau etc so it's a part from now on.

Thanks again for your valuable input, always appreciated.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Light Crystal, Pale Ale Malt & some GLadfield.

Just to be pedantic, Crystal does not mark a Partial.
Does not NEED to be mashed and conversion has already occurred and the resultant grain cooked thus caramelising the sugars.
Pale malt needs a mash so the enzymes within the grain can be fired up to convert the starch within the grain to fermentable sugar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Does not NEED to be mashed and conversion has already occurred and the resultant grain cooked thus caramelising the sugars.

Thanks @Green Blob GB - the Crystal Steep should still then have a boil though hey?