Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

7 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

You don't get a plastic type taste from the garden hose mate? I used the garden hose a few times and it gave me a funny taste. Bought a drinking water hose from bunnings. Use it only for brewing. I think its a good investment if your interested.

no funny taste if was there the small amount hops must be hiding it have enjoyed all my beers to date. Didn't even notice any difference when filled fv with brew pot from kitchen sink wouldn't say it was any better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Nope, but when I brewed from cordials - sorry concentrates - I had a few blackrocks ones and they are pretty good.

Yeah I know what you mean but for the time being this will have to do, I have started looking around seriously for ways of kegging, I am just wondering if I should use my big brew fridge & drill out a tap hole etc, but I am not much of a tradie so I will have to study it up & price the parts.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

still better than Adelaide water have heard took few weeks to get used to it when moved now dont notice it.

I was born in the Riverland SA & know all about Murray River water & the Rainwater Tank water, all tastes horrible in my opinion. To me Adelaide water is fine as I have a filter & I only use my Pura Tap for all of my brews, in my travelling experiences I have also had water from the 'Bidgee' which is pretty horrid. 🤮 But then each to their own.

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I was born in the Riverland SA & know all about Murray River water & the Rainwater Tank water, all tastes horrible in my opinion. To me Adelaide water is fine as I have a filter & I only use my Pura Tap for all of my brews, in my travelling experiences I have also had water from the 'Bidgee' which is pretty horrid. 🤮 But then each to their own.

Adelaide water is fine but you have a filter? 🤔

Still got some Czech Pils on the go. Excellent brew. Next time I might up the hop content, but the Saaz is a beaut in continental lager style beers. I don’t use a brew fridge and in winter I brew with 34-70 yeast in the garage, which is about 14 degrees or so. Looks like I’ll have to wait another 6 months to brew that one again 🤨

48D6DA4F-F845-42CC-ABAA-71BFA7624E68.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

Still got some Czech Pils on the go. Excellent brew. Next time I might up the hop content, but the Saaz is a beaut in continental lager style beers. I don’t use a brew fridge and in winter I brew with 34-70 yeast in the garage, which is about 14 degrees or so. Looks like I’ll have to wait another 6 months to brew that one again 🤨

Looks like a really nice brew @stquinto  good looking Pils glass too.

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Should be fine and dandy Phil - unless it has been stored in very hot conditions

I reckon even the yeast would be OK, it's only 10/04/21, & it is a LBHS, the discounted stock is on a lower shelf & the guy has been there over 35 years !!

Great Brew Shop.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, ozdevil said:

i'm a bit curious as to why you choose rainwater 

Rainwater is all I have... and unless you live by the coast where you'll cop seasalt aerosols.... and your roof and gutters and tanks are relatively clean... and you don't have a flock of pigeons living on the roof... rainwater should be pretty free of salts in solution.... guess there might be a bit of phos from birdshittt....  bit of nitrogen collected during rainfall... that might be good for yeast health?

In the past life I had to EC test inland creek water - and that was mostly like 50uS/cm or less... local dam water was like 240 uS/cm... and sea water is like 30,000 to 50,000 uS/cm.

I have got some CaCl2 and Gypsum but have not added any yet in any beer...  @ozdevil Oz I suspect you are quite right that for some beers for some effects adding the appropriate salt - say for a Burton-on-Trent hard water profile.... 

Award winning @MitchBastard Mitchie does add salts... maybe I will graduate to that level of excellence one day... in the meantime the beer seems to work ok with Rainwater, Malted Grain, Hops and Yeast... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2021 at 2:07 PM, CLASSIC said:

Looking forward to putting this together.

Well you have satisfied the Graubartigebräu Coopers KnK Ale General Brewing Recommendations to start with so I reckon you are well on the way to a great beer @CLASSIC Phil:

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
  • 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
  • 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
  • 1 x 250g Light Crystal Malt

Coopers Ale Kit + Coopers Liquid Malt Can + one kg or kg and a bit of Dry Stuff... 

Been trying to suggest that for a while and I think most do seem to find it useful.... 🤔

• Like 1

I dunno whether I am suppppposed to do this but I guess since I received the inf being a paidddd up member and licence holder then it belongs to me as it sits in my email_in_box so I can share... I sorta think this might be useful to the KnK folk on this site... woulda been of interest back in my Coopers KnK time I reckon:

Better Beer with Late Malt Extracts

Today we look at a method for malt extract brewers that can improve the quality and color of your extract beer. Both liquid and dried malt extract beers suffer from an effect called a Maillard reaction as well as carmelization when brewing. 

A Maillard reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs between amino acids and sugars in the wort, and it accentuated by the use of extract in a concentrated boil.  Carmelization occurs when liquid extract or excess sugars settle to the bottom of the brew pot during the boil and the sugars carmelize (harden) in the bottom of the pot.  Of the two, the Maillard reaction actually accounts for the majority of the color darkening.

This typically darkens the beer, and in extreme cases can also affect the taste of the beer. Obviously this is a problem for brewers of light colored beers. The effect is also common in high gravity beers in small brew pots because of the higher proportion of extract to water when boiling.

To avoid the ill effects of the Maillard reaction and carmelization, malt extract brewers should delay the addition of the majority of their extracts until late in the boiling process. The extract must be added late enough in the boil to avoid darkening, but early enough to assure that the extract is sterilized. Boiling the extract for about 15 minutes is a good balance.

I recommend adding a small amount of malt extract (perhaps 15-25%) early in the boil if using separate hops. The sugars and enzymes in the extract aid in extracting alpha acids (bitterness) from the hops. Boiling hops with a small amount of extract will result in smoother hop flavors and appropriate bitterness that you can't achieve with plain water alone.

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Well you have satisfied the Graubartigebräu Coopers KnK Ale General Brewing Recommendations to start with so I reckon you are well on the way to a great beer @CLASSIC Phil:

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
  • 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
  • 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
  • 1 x 250g Light Crystal Malt

Coopers Ale Kit + Coopers Liquid Malt Can + one kg or kg and a bit of Dry Stuff... 

Been trying to suggest that for a while and I think most do seem to find it useful.... 🤔

I am glad I have qualified & look forward to doing the brew. Cheers.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am glad I have qualified & look forward to doing the brew. Cheers.

There are so many ways to the Top of the Mountain and others might not been that keen on such a methodology but I reckon with the above combo as a base you have got a pretty good chance to make a nice beer.... am really looking forward to hearing how it goes @CLASSIC Phil 🏴‍☠️

Well that's until you go All Grain 😋

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

There are so many ways to the Top of the Mountain and others might not been that keen on such a methodology but I reckon with the above combo as a base you have got a pretty good chance to make a nice beer.... am really looking forward to hearing how it goes @CLASSIC Phil 🏴‍☠️

I really will be doing everything to ramp it up Graubster, you have been persistent in reminding me about it & that's a good thing, I can tell buy the photos being posted of the true Wheaty, Malty Beers, the colour & nice creamy head says it all, rather than a gassed up bubbly thing that dies on you before you can drink the sucker. I am getting used to drinking beers that taste better than the swill they serve in the Pubs.

Having said that I owe it all to this forum & the good guys like yourself & others whom I am sure you know who I am talking about.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Graubart said:

I dunno whether I am suppppposed to do this but I guess since I received the inf being a paidddd up member and licence holder then it belongs to me as it sits in my email_in_box so I can share... I sorta think this might be useful to the KnK folk on this site... woulda been of interest back in my Coopers KnK time I reckon:

It's worth taking on board 'Oh Grey Bearded One - or should we call you the " Beard of Knowledge 😄

• Haha 1