Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Today I take a leap forward [additional 1/2 kg malt] in brewing a lager - well really an ale but using lager kit.

Woolies Lager 1.7 kg + 250gm dextrose + 250gm malto + 1kg LME + 23lt filtered rain H2O + kit yeast [which I found on last Woolies Lager worked great]. The extras equate to about a BE3 + 1/2 malt extra.

Woolager Plus.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Today I take a leap forward [additional 1/2 kg malt] in brewing a lager - well really an ale but using lager kit.

Woolies Lager 1.7 kg + 250gm dextrose + 250gm malto + 1kg LME + 23lt filtered rain H2O + kit yeast [which I found on last Woolies Lager worked great]. The extras equate to about a BE3 + 1/2 malt extra.

Woolager Plus.jpg

Good move @Barramullafella  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Ok, after people's thoughts, I have cleared my back log of various beers and ciders from my storage cabinet, ranging from 8%pales to apple n strawberry ciders, to 2%light beers,.... And now it's time to do a batch for winter, I have my 2 x 10ltr fvs and a recently acquired 22lt doobie... This is my thoughts

10 ltr 1

2/3 can apa + 1/2 be2

10 ltr 2

2/3 can TC Secret Amber + 1/2 lme

22ltr

1/3 can apa + 1/3 can TCSAA + 1/2 lme+1/2 be2

What do you all think..... Am happy for any thoughts positive or negative, thinking they should all be between 4 and 5%....

I work this to be:

10 ltr 1 - 5.4% ABV; 28 IBU; 8 EBC

10ltr 2 - 6.1% ABV; 41 IBU; 36 EBC

22ltr - 3.5% ABV; 15 IBU; 9 EBC

If that is what you are after then go for it.  All of the batches would benefit from a dry hop of 20 - 50g of any aroma hop you can get.

I would halve the APA and Amber cans instead.  One half into each 10 litre batch and half of each into your 22 litre batch for these numbers:

10 litre 1 - 4.8% ABV; 21 IBU; 6 EBC

10 litre 2 - 4.9% ABV; 31 IBU; 27 EBC

22 litre - 4.5% ABV; 24 IBU; 14 EBC

I would also dry hop them all.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Cheers and happy brewing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I work this to be:

10 ltr 1 - 5.4% ABV; 28 IBU; 8 EBC

10ltr 2 - 6.1% ABV; 41 IBU; 36 EBC

22ltr - 3.5% ABV; 15 IBU; 9 EBC

If that is what you are after then go for it.  All of the batches would benefit from a dry hop of 20 - 50g of any aroma hop you can get.

I would halve the APA and Amber cans instead.  One half into each 10 litre batch and half of each into your 22 litre batch for these numbers:

10 litre 1 - 4.8% ABV; 21 IBU; 6 EBC

10 litre 2 - 4.9% ABV; 31 IBU; 27 EBC

22 litre - 4.5% ABV; 24 IBU; 14 EBC

I would also dry hop them all.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Cheers and happy brewing.

That's the gold I was hoping for, someone with more knowledge helping out, yes I forgot to add I would be dropping a hop bag in each just not sure which way yet.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

You will notice a big difference, I have never tried Woolies stuff but it shouldn't be much different than Coopers or any other brand for that matter. I don't make anything now without the extra Malt Extracts etc. Good luck with it. Cheers.

Thanks, Classic. I know it is not a huge leap but I need to use up some product I had bought before deciding to follow up on advice given. The challenge for me is to keep the alcohol around the 4% mark, keep the lager taste I am achieving and enjoying, but make the finished beer just a tad more mouthful - currently it is nice and refreshing but a bit watery. I shall keep adding the 'extras' a little a time until I achieve the desired results 😉 .  Now, I have read somewhere online that an employee in the Woolies/BigW store stated that Woolworths brand beer kits  are supplied by Toohey's. I have tried Toohey's kit years ago but cannot remember what it was like. Those days there was no brew enhancers just the kit + 1kg sugar and sugar to prime bottles. I do like the Woolies kit tho, and Coopers is slightly sweeter - to my taste.

• Like 1

Recipe: Red Saison IPA Thing
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Red IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 29.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 55.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          53.6 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          17.9 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          17.9 %        0.65 L        
0.40 kg          Gladfield Black Forest Rye (88.0 EBC)            Grain         4          7.1 %         0.26 L        
0.20 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         5          3.6 %         0.13 L        
20.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min    Hop           6          24.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           7          24.8 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Cascade [6.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           8          6.1 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Thanks, Classic. I know it is not a huge leap but I need to use up some product I had bought before deciding to follow up on advice given. The challenge for me is to keep the alcohol around the 4% mark, keep the lager taste I am achieving and enjoying, but make the finished beer just a tad more mouthful - currently it is nice and refreshing but a bit watery. I shall keep adding the 'extras' a little a time until I achieve the desired results 😉 .  Now, I have read somewhere online that an employee in the Woolies/BigW store stated that Woolworths brand beer kits  are supplied by Toohey's. I have tried Toohey's kit years ago but cannot remember what it was like. Those days there was no brew enhancers just the kit + 1kg sugar and sugar to prime bottles. I do like the Woolies kit tho, and Coopers is slightly sweeter - to my taste.

I have noticed a huge difference in my brews, it is true that some things you will add will increase the ABV but if you are experimenting with smaller amounts & noting it all you will end up with the result you are looking for. I don't deliberately try to push up the ABV but so far I can handle it. Just don't drive anywhere. 🚔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

GB have you used MORE thank a kilo of Rye in any brew at all?

Am wondering whether I could amp a brew up to 2kg of Rye - or would I get into trouble being too sticky?

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

GB have you used MORE thank a kilo of Rye in any brew at all?

Recipe: Roggen....
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Roggenbier
TYPE: All Grain 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 32.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         1          50.8 %        1.96 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)     Grain         2          33.9 %        1.30 L        
0.75 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         3          12.7 %        0.49 L        
0.15 kg          Carafa III (Weyermann) (1034.2 EBC)              Grain         4          2.5 %         0.10 L        
30.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5          14.5 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made that a while ago, BIAB but I sparge in a bucket into the urn.
Needed some help to get the liquid out.

Edited by Green Blob
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Sticky?

Burn-ons and stuck sparges?

I don't possess any rice hulls... 

Yes

Yes

Either do I

Ever made a RIS? Reiterated mashing is not fun. Worth it though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First brew in about 6 weeks put down today. Went on a bit of a detox over the last month or so only drinking 7 or so beers a week. Was about triple that on a normal week. I want to have a light on tap at all times and the last one I did was a light saison and it was quite nice for a low ABV beer. So doing another and getting rid of some leftover melanoiden and lemondrop hops. Will ferment this one starting in the early 20s and ramp to about 30.

Screenshot_20210512-194928_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20210512-194954_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

First brew in about 6 weeks put down today.

Nice Greeny.

I did well with my Detox through Lent and into Easter but since then it has been a bit of a Beerfest...mmm... : |

Since that time supplies have declined and yes me too I must start some brewing again... and need to get back to including a few days off during the week. 

Goodness - Magnum - do you think we can lure @Beerlust Lusty back into the Forum by advising that someone is using Magnum Hops again?  Good ol' Lusty seemed to have decided that the ol Mag's was not that flash if you remember back then... 🤔

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

@Greeny1525229549   i'm a bit curious as to why you choose rainwater   , not that i am against it

without doing a water test  , you wouldnt be sure of what minerals etc in it.

and did you add any salts etc to the rainwater?

Hey ozdevil. Yeah I usually use my rainwater tank on pilseners and when I want to build a water profile as it's not quite mineral free but it's close to it. Didn't add anything to this one. Just planning on letting the yeast do the work alone.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Nice Greeny.

I did well with my Detox through Lent and into Easter but since then it has been a bit of a Beerfest...mmm... : |

Since that time supplies have declined and yes me too I must start some brewing again... and need to get back to including a few days off during the week. 

Goodness - Magnum - do you think we can lure @Beerlust Lusty back into the Forum by advising that someone is using Magnum Hops again?  Good ol' Lusty seemed to have decided that the ol Mag's was not that flash if you remember back then... 🤔

Hey GB. Yeah I miss lusty. Rubbed a few fellas the wrong way but personally always loved his input. Shame he seems to have left.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey ozdevil. Yeah I usually use my rainwater tank on pilseners and when I want to build a water profile as it's not quite mineral free but it's close to it. Didn't add anything to this one. Just planning on letting the yeast do the work alone.

Makes me imagine how good my beer would taste if I looked at water profile etc. Filtered by council out of Murray River small amounts of chlorine and fluoride added. Then I usually fill half the fv with the old garden hose from the back tap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Makes me imagine how good my beer would taste if I looked at water profile etc. Filtered by council out of Murray River small amounts of chlorine and fluoride added. Then I usually fill half the fv with the old garden hose from the back tap.

You don't get a plastic type taste from the garden hose mate? I used the garden hose a few times and it gave me a funny taste. Bought a drinking water hose from bunnings. Use it only for brewing. I think its a good investment if your interested.

• Like 2

OK here is my ingredients for the Coopers Australian IPA except I have sourced the ingredients separately, probably saved a few bucks but I didn't want to wait for delivery.

Looking forward to putting this together.
Cheers

Phil 

Recipe of the Month Pack Includes:

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
  • 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
  • 1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
  • 1 x 250g Light Crystal Malt
  • 1 x 40g Eclipse Hops
  • 1 x 40g Vic Secret Hops
  • 1 × Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture (or use the supplied 15g English Ale Yeast)
  • 1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

Coopers-Australian-IPA-1920-800px..png

20210513_132925.jpg

• Like 7