Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What a murky, muddy, horrible, hoppy, goopy mess.

I bet it will taste amazeballs.

It sure is but by kveikey 🤣 (crikey) it smells so good 😋 

• Like 4

Another brew day today this time a MtHood Pilsner good day hit my numbers exactly and did no chill which I normally don’t do. I did find that the whirlfloc seems to work better at high temperature and the trub seemed to whirlpool a lot better and quicker than when I chill seemed to have more clear beer as a result. I will fine it also in the fermenter so it will be interesting to see how it turns out can’t wait. I will be using S189 with a starter as it’s been waiting patiently in the fridge for too long.

84E2392A-9A26-4097-8830-1335767EB711.png

• Like 5

Just bottles my Pale Ale (Timothy Taylor's) clone. My bottling room doubles up as the washing machine room, and the priming room is where I brew (around 22 - 24°), and otehrwise serves as the boiler room 😉

cleaning bottles.jpg

ready to drain.jpg

ready to cap.jpg

boiler room brewery.jpg

40 bottles.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, stquinto said:

40 bottles.jpg

I hope you don’t have any go boom cause if one goes then….. I always stored mine a couple of inches apart in case if one went off it didn’t turn into a firing range, luckily I never had one go off😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I hope you don’t have any go boom cause if one goes then….. I always stored mine a couple of inches apart in case if one went off it didn’t turn into a firing range, luckily I never had one go off😎

Probably an idea would be to thin them out & place heavy cardboard in between them, I have a couple of mates who are in Wine Clubs & they pass on their empty boxes which have those criss cross inserts, they only hold 12 bottles but at least the are protected. But I have never had a bomb ... so far ...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Thanks mate, didn't think of that !  I didn't overcarbonate them (about 6g/l) as I'd like to keep 'em a bit. The bottles are pretty sturdy too. I only ever had a few grenades when I used thin bottles that shouldn't have been reused.

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Probably an idea would be to thin them out & place heavy cardboard in between them, I have a couple of mates who are in Wine Clubs & they pass on their empty boxes which have those criss cross inserts, they only hold 12 bottles but at least the are protected. But I have never had a bomb ... so far ...

That sounds like a good idea too Phil. I suppose that's why they use beer crates ...

8 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@stquinto  I work in fairly tight spaces these days as I moved into a smaller place 12 months ago, at times it can be challenging but it is possible. You look like you have it under control. Cheers. 

These plastic boxes are quite handy - I can stack both the taller or the normal height ones, and either get 20 half-litre bottles or 39 * 33cl bottles depneding on the height of the box.

NEIPA Comp brew day. Just starting the boil. Good brewing everyone.

IPA for the comp is bottled and has about 4 weeks to mature until comp day and this one will have just under 3 weeks. The IPA came out nice and what I was expecting, at this point, I will see in a few weeks what it is truly like. Hoping for some good feedback, we will see, but excited😎

Screenshot_20210509-130442_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-130450_Firefox.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

IPA for the comp is bottled and has about 4 weeks to mature until comp day and this one will have just under 3 weeks. The IPA came out nice and what I was expecting, at this point, I will see in a few weeks what it is truly like. Hoping for some good feedback, we will see, but excited😎

good luck with the comp       looks a very interesting brew    with alot of hops

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Hey @Norris!  Good Luck with the Comp, I assume you are in a different state to @MitchBastard or do you guys ever meet in any Comps ? 

Sounds like a grueling process but if you are at the top of your game I suppose it's a walk in the Park.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Ever had one of those moments when you want to go take a look in the mirror and do a "WTF were youn thinking?"

Today I bottled my cider - tastes great but not sure if it might be too dry for the intended vict... um... clients. I do like a dry cider and this is. 36 long necks tucked away in the cupboard with the heat belt for 18.5°.

Then it's time for my next XPA - current one is getting a bit low. I got everything together, starting with yeast and a starter.  Brought the pot out for the crystal liquid, thought about the induction cooker and thought, "Nah, bugger it. It's only 3 litres... It'll be fine!"

OK, so it was 4 litres - as I wasn't doing a mash I poured another litre through after draining the bag but it took best part of AN HOUR to come to the boil in the electric stove. I didn't keep a record but pretty sure last brew was 8 - 9 litres in about 20 mins on the cooker.

Maybe I haven't noticed before because brew day was mostly new stuff and I'd spend time pissfarting around and with this it's Sade time - smooth operator, or maybe our stove is stuffed? 😄 (not really, it's working fine)

But jeez - here I am 1.5 hours in and the boil isn't finished yet!

1st world problems... I know... 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @Norris!  Good Luck with the Comp, I assume you are in a different state to @MitchBastard or do you guys ever meet in any Comps ? 

Sounds like a grueling process but if you are at the top of your game I suppose it's a walk in the Park.

Cheers

This is for the mini mashers comp in Coburg, I am not sure who or what states can enter, but I think it is Victoria but unsure. This is my 1st and I have never met Mitch but have seen him on different places like Facebook talking about beer.

The process is the same as any other brew day, except I made the recipe prior to mashing in, hahaha. Had a good think about what I would want in an IPA or NEIPA and tried to make it. Both recipes are based off regular brews I make but adjusted to meet IPA BJCP standards, as I usually keep my beers around 4.5-5.5% which is too low. The only real difference is I am bottle conditioning versus bottling from the keg, which I might do still, just keeping that option open encase I don't like the bottles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

Ever had one of those moments when you want to go take a look in the mirror and do a "WTF were youn thinking?"

Today I bottled my cider - tastes great but not sure if it might be too dry for the intended vict... um... clients. I do like a dry cider and this is. 36 long necks tucked away in the cupboard with the heat belt for 18.5°.

Then it's time for my next XPA - current one is getting a bit low. I got everything together, starting with yeast and a starter.  Brought the pot out for the crystal liquid, thought about the induction cooker and thought, "Nah, bugger it. It's only 3 litres... It'll be fine!"

OK, so it was 4 litres - as I wasn't doing a mash I poured another litre through after draining the bag but it took best part of AN HOUR to come to the boil in the electric stove. I didn't keep a record but pretty sure last brew was 8 - 9 litres in about 20 mins on the cooker.

Maybe I haven't noticed before because brew day was mostly new stuff and I'd spend time pissfarting around and with this it's Sade time - smooth operator, or maybe our stove is stuffed? 😄 (not really, it's working fine)

But jeez - here I am 1.5 hours in and the boil isn't finished yet!

1st world problems... I know... 😄

I hope your Cider hits the mark for it's intended vict... um... clients. Maybe it will be a winner & you will be suppling the Adelaide Hills/Murrrylands. 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

This is for the mini mashers comp in Coburg, I am not sure who or what states can enter, but I think it is Victoria but unsure. This is my 1st and I have never met Mitch but have seen him on different places like Facebook talking about beer.

The process is the same as any other brew day, except I made the recipe prior to mashing in, hahaha. Had a good think about what I would want in an IPA or NEIPA and tried to make it. Both recipes are based off regular brews I make but adjusted to meet IPA BJCP standards, as I usually keep my beers around 4.5-5.5% which is too low. The only real difference is I am bottle conditioning versus bottling from the keg, which I might do still, just keeping that option open encase I don't like the bottles.

Well all the best anyway, Cheers.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I hope your Cider hits the mark for it's intended vict... um... clients. Maybe it will be a winner & you will be suppling the Adelaide Hills/Murrrylands. 😄

At $1.10 p/L for frsh juice, it comes in around the same price as a normal K&K.

Although my K&2K just made was probably a bit more expensive. 😄 APA can, 1kg LDME, 1 can LME, 25g lemondrop and 50g simcoe. Oh, and the enzyme.

Edited by Journeyman

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

At $1.10 p/L for frsh juice, it comes in around the same price as a normal K&K.

Although my K&2K just made was probably a bit more expensive. 😄 APA can, 1kg LDME, 1 can LME, 25g lemondrop and 50g simcoe. Oh, and the enzyme.

Sounds damn fine, I like a punchy dry cider, none of the sweet whispy stuff.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Well, it's gonna be punchy - 7.5%.! 😄

Like my bloomin' stout I posted a photo of the first bottle yesterday after 14 days in the bottle & a mate was here to watch the Footy & we had Pizza, beers/wine & smartar..... me said do you want to try my stout, had a bloody headache all day, it's about the same ABV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@CLASSICI knocked back a couple of bottles of my IPA on Sunday before going to the club for dinner with the wife & kids for mother's day. It must have effected me more than I thought because the wife & daughter thought I acted a bit pissy.

note to self:  Be careful with the home brew..

• Haha 3

Just now, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSICI knocked back a couple of bottles of my IPA on Sunday before going to the club for dinner with the wife & kids for mother's day. It must have effected me more than I thought because the wife & daughter thought I acted a bit pissy.

note to self:  Be careful with the home brew..

These things happen, all part of the job, I would have made her drive home & had another one. 🤣 I am single .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, after people's thoughts, I have cleared my back log of various beers and ciders from my storage cabinet, ranging from 8%pales to apple n strawberry ciders, to 2%light beers,.... And now it's time to do a batch for winter, I have my 2 x 10ltr fvs and a recently acquired 22lt doobie... This is my thoughts

10 ltr 1

2/3 can apa + 1/2 be2

10 ltr 2

2/3 can TC Secret Amber + 1/2 lme

22ltr

1/3 can apa + 1/3 can TCSAA + 1/2 lme+1/2 be2

What do you all think..... Am happy for any thoughts positive or negative, thinking they should all be between 4 and 5%....

• Like 2