Jump to content
Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021


Hairy

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

It is one of my go to beers. It's made with Mosaic hops and when I needed a name for the beer, I looked for synonyms of the word "mosaic". One of the hits was motley. Of course being a metal head, the first thing tat came to mind was the band and I wanted to call it Mötley Brüe but that one is already taken, to Mötley Brëw it became 🙂 It's a very simple beer made from Maris Otter and Vienna malts and Mosaic hops.

OK got it, makes sense now. Sounds good too. Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brewed my house Kolsch today. Got plans of entering this in the Gold Coast amateur brewing comp coming up in June, along with my german pils, aus lager, yank pale and my NEIPA. The time between now and judging, Should leave it a decent conditioning time once it’s done. Tweaked the recipe slightly from previous brews. Dropped some Vienna and upped the wheat. Brew day went well. Was 2 points shy of my OG but my starter was .5L bigger than previous times. No wuz tho, wort is clear and should turn out nice. 
 

 

78127185-E9AD-4FFA-8669-F98138B83961.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice little all grain SMaSH. 

5 kilos of Gladfield American Ale Malt.

15 grams of Hort @ 60 minutes.

20 grams of Hort @ 10 minutes.

20 grams of Hort flameout 90 degrees for 10 minutes.

45 grams of Hort dry hop around day 5 days.

Lallemand American West Coast Ale yeast, pitched at 23 degrees, ferment at 18 degrees.

Looking forward to this one, i might even enter a bottle in our local show to have a bit more ammunition against @Hoppy81 😝

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also i'll debunk the myth about crushed grains. Hoppy crushed this one up for me over a month or maybe two ago. He sealed the grains up in bags, i stored the whole recipe in the fridge.

Good to go two months later, fresh as a daisy and smelling amazing. This will be a good beer. Crushed grain hold their own if stored correct. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2021 at 6:07 PM, MitchBastard said:

Tweaked the recipe slightly from previous brews. Dropped some Vienna and upped the wheat.

Watcha end up with Mitchie?  Got some Kölsch Yeast in the Fridge to use at some stage... was just gunna do Wyermann Pils Malt, my usual Wheat addition and maybe touch of Vienna... and HT Mit hoppage...  and go for somewhere between 5 and 6% ABV...  interested what you think given you got one on the go ; )

And why Starter not Sprinkle pray tell - bigger population wanted?

Edited by Graubart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kolsch's are generally really clean and crisp. The yeast for kolsch's ferment at a slightly lower temp than ale yeast, their range at least and provide a lager like characteristics to the ale (I have read that M54 is kolsch yeast) and a starter, like for a lager, will ensure it ferments out cleanly with little esters. The esters can be Apple like for some of the kolsch yeasts at too high of a temp. A large starter will negate most of those issues and a stable temp. 

Sprinkling a package of dry yeast in an pale ale or IPA is not much of an issue as the esters can compliment or be hidden under malt and hops but as a kolsch is a lot lighter in body and flavour there isn't anywhere to hide for any flaws, so the starter is a good control, because it removes that variable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Kolsch's are generally really clean and crisp. The yeast for kolsch's ferment at a slightly lower temp than ale yeast, their range at least and provide a lager like characteristics to the ale (I have read that M54 is kolsch yeast) and a starter, like for a lager, will ensure it ferments out cleanly with little esters. The esters can be Apple like for some of the kolsch yeasts at too high of a temp. A large starter will negate most of those issues and a stable temp. 

Sprinkling a package of dry yeast in an pale ale or IPA is not much of an issue as the esters can compliment or be hidden under malt and hops but as a kolsch is a lot lighter in body and flavour there isn't anywhere to hide for any flaws, so the starter is a good control, because it removes that variable.

Beautiful.

Thanks me festive cobber @Norris! Norris!

image.thumb.png.1e236d6bf92471cbf6c1e6aabeb1fe72.png 

I just drank a Toast to you mate - out of this very glass of HW - and look forward to using your advice in the first crack at a Gölle ; ) 

Was thinking of going at 15 degrees... 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Beautiful.

Thanks me festive cobber @Norris! Norris!

image.thumb.png.1e236d6bf92471cbf6c1e6aabeb1fe72.png 

I just drank a Toast to you mate - out of this very glass of HW - and look forward to using your advice in the first crack at a Gölle ; ) 

Was thinking of going at 15 degrees... 

 

Hey Graubster, what happened to the cows that are sometimes in your pics or were they large rabbits you killed & ate ? 🤣   Nice looking beer to mate. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Graubart said:

Watcha end up with Mitchie?  Got some Kölsch Yeast in the Fridge to use at some stage... was just gunna do Wyermann Pils Malt, my usual Wheat addition and maybe touch of Vienna... and HT Mit hoppage...  and go for somewhere between 5 and 6% ABV...  interested what you think given you got one on the go ; )

And why Starter not Sprinkle pray tell - bigger population wanted?

If your buying grain for it you could get WY cologne malt. 100% of the grain bill. beeeeeeeeutiful

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

whats the oats for?

Breakfast? to go with the marmalade, (orange peel) reduce cholesterol, mouthfeel, umm I was using up leftovers??? no it was just in the recipe I was following🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

OK, just wondering. so mouthfeel and protein I guess.

I upped the orange and coriander as well so see how that goes as well I will let you know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Graubart pretty much in the ball park in terms as grain bill as me. Traditionally the base malt is usually a pale malt rather than Pilsner but I like Pilsner more than pale. Up to 10% wheat is the norm too. Halle Mit is the preferred hop too. Although a hop by the name of Spalt is the true kolsch hop. Not sure on it availability though. 
 

kolsch are delicate little buggers. The past few recipes I found were a little on the sweat side. Only just though. This time round I mashed way lower for longer to help it ferment out a bit further. Kept my hopping schedule the same which pushed it to the higher end of the IBU. However the water profile flavours the malt so it should balance that out on the back end. That’s me thinking anyway.

@Norris! nailed it on the starter info. I’m actually making starters for everything these days. I find it’s a way healthier ferment in terms of times and end result. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost ready to attempt Coopers Best Extra Stout recipe for the first time.

Was going to brew today but I'm going to let the yeast culture grow for another day to ensure I plenty of healthy yeastimites to get the job done properly.

I'll also reduce the dextrose from 1kg to 250g. Nobody needs Muzzy on 6.8% ABV beer.

IMG20210417074942.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Almost ready to attempt Coopers Best Extra Stout recipe.

Was going to brew today but I'm going to let the yeast culture grow for another day to ensure I plenty of healthy yeastimites to get the job done properly.

I'll also reduce the dextrose from 1kg to 250g. Nobody needs Muzzy on 6.8% ABV beer.

IMG20210417074942.jpg

@MUZZY  My Coopers Stout was put together on the 11th April with 

1 x 1.7 Coopers Stout

1 x 1.5 Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

500gm LDME

1 x supplied Yeast

1 x Safale s-04

There was a fair bit of action for the first few days so I am thinking the ABV would be enough without the Dextrose.

I bought it all from Bill, Holden Hill.

I remember when we used to buy Coopers Stout & it was 6.8% now I think it is 6.3%.

Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@CLASSIC Yep, it's 6.3% for the commercial version and 6.8% for the DIY recipe.
Making assumptions here but they probably reduced the ABV of the commercial product to reduce the tax payable on it and in turn make it a more attractive price point for the consumer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@CLASSIC Yep, it's 6.3% for the commercial version and 6.8% for the DIY recipe.
Making assumptions here but they probably reduced the ABV of the commercial product to reduce the tax payable on it and in turn make it a more attractive price point for the consumer.

Yes you are probably right, even West End Draught & others dropped over the years. Probably the reason !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yes you are probably right, even West End Draught & others dropped over the years. Probably the reason !!

VB made the fatal mistake of dropping theirs from 4.9 to 4.6 a few years back. I was told it would have saved the company $20 million a year in tax. Only problem was their loyal consumers walked away from the product, so the proposed tax saving was eroded by a drop in sales. They eventually changed it back to 4.9%. I'm unsure of the lingering damage it did to the brand but I imagine it wasn't good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

VB made the fatal mistake of dropping theirs from 4.9 to 4.6 a few years back. I was told it would have saved the company $20 million a year in tax. Only problem was their loyal consumers walked away from the product, so the proposed tax saving was eroded by a drop in sales. They eventually changed it back to 4.9%. I'm unsure of the lingering damage it did to the brand but I imagine it wasn't good.

In my opinion VB 🤮 stands for Very Bad, it is awful, I hate it & it gives me a headache. I realise there are some that think it's OK so they can have it.

I don't find many Crow Eaters drinking it, mainly Houso' types & Mexicans. 🤣

But everyone to their own.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

In my opinion VB 🤮 stands for Very Bad, it is awful, I hate it & it gives me a headache. I realise there are some that think it's OK so they can have it.

I don't find many Crow Eaters drinking it, mainly Houso' types & Mexicans. 🤣

But everyone to their own.

Taste is very subjective. It was the biggest selling brand in Australia for many years. It might still be but I think it dropped down when they changed the ABV.
I used to drink it regularly, mainly for the economics ie. 30 cans were better value than a slab of 24 but I found it an excellent drop on a hot day. A good refresher.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Taste is very subjective. It was the biggest selling brand in Australia for many years. It might still be but I think it dropped down when they changed the ABV.
I used to drink it regularly, mainly for the economics ie. 30 cans were better value than a slab of 24 but I found it an excellent drop on a hot day. A good refresher.

Yeah, it is probably me but that's OK - but there is plenty of others out there to choose from, not to mention our own.                                 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Only problem was their loyal consumers walked away from the product, so the proposed tax saving was eroded by a drop in sales. They eventually changed it back to 4.9%.

Yep Muzzy spot on as usual ; )

I have drunk enough VB in the past... and now really for me it is just there lounging around in the midst of the other megaswill...  though most of the rest are at 4.6

https://mumbrella.com.au/vb-returns-to-full-strength-and-says-sorry-to-customers-for-tinkering-with-their-beer-113951

NEWS

VB returns to full strength and says sorry to customers ‘for tinkering with their beer’

September 5, 2012 7:36

Carlton & United Breweries is running full-page ads in the national press today to apologise for reducing the strength of its most popular beer, VB.

The ad is to run in News Limited papers the Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, Courier Mail, Adelaide Advertiser and the West Australian – the first time an ad has run on page five in all of these papers.

The ads take the form of an apology letter from the CEO of CUB, Ari Mervis, which begins: “A few years ago, we made several changes to the recipe of your favourite beer. We altered the brewing process and we got it wrong.”

The brand has restored the strength of the beer from 4.6% to 4.9%, changed its name back from VB to Victoria Bitter, and reintroduced the old packaging and the tagline ‘For a hard earned thirst’.

Screen-Shot-2012-09-04-at-9.31.24-PM-468

CUB’s CMO Andy Gibson said: “The Vic Bitter drinkers have spoken and told us that we should not have tinkered with their beer. So we have listened and during the course of October Victoria Bitter will be returning to its best, in fact we reckon it will be better than ever.”

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...