Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I have had Munton's products a few times, the Yorkshire Bitter & Session IPA are really good beers, they have a fairly big range but don't see a lot of here in SA.

That particular HBS I go to occasionally doesn't have as good a range as it used to.

I see Dan Murphys are out of stock.

I did hear that Muntons were having production difficulties during Covid though.
That's one of the reasons Morgans kits are available in the UK now.

I was thinking of trying a Muntons IPA at some point.

2 minutes ago, Graculus said:

That particular HBS I go to occasionally doesn't have as good a range as it used to.

I see Dan Murphys are out of stock.

I did hear that Muntons were having production difficulties during Covid though.
That's one of the reasons Morgans kits are available in the UK now.

I was thinking of trying a Muntons IPA at some point.

The only times we really see in Adelaide is some of the independent LBHS bring it in for special orders, but a while back another closed down & his stock went to one I visit regularly.

But I have seen it bob up from time to time.

Well  brew day  making a sweat bugger all,  the 2nd covid jab has put that to a grinding holt as i am feeling dizzy and with a few chills , i even cancelled golf as well

Hopefully it will not be all lost and if i am feeling up for it might do a brew on Monday.  i would brew but with thse symptoms and feeling wonky on my feet knowing my luck i would be doing a swan dive in 100 degree wort  with a triple summersault in the pike postion

arrrgh well always next weekend to do the brew if i cant do it by the end of the long weekend,

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Well  brew day  making a sweat bugger all,  the 2nd covid jab has put that to a grinding holt as i am feeling dizzy and with a few chills , i even cancelled golf as well

Hopefully it will not be all lost and if i am feeling up for it might do a brew on Monday.  i would brew but with thse symptoms and feeling wonky on my feet knowing my luck i would be doing a swan dive in 100 degree wort  with a triple summersault in the pike postion

arrrgh well always next weekend to do the brew if i cant do it by the end of the long weekend,

Well now OD trust you will get better, may I suggest this would be an opportune to catch up on a few light duties around home as you are not up to toiling in the brewery.

You could;

Wash the Car, Clean out the shed, mow the lawns, prune the trees, some weeding, take all the rubbish to the dump. Then you could take SWMBO for a nice drive & come home & prepare dinner,

only trying to help. 

64-647127_smiley-lol-emoticon-laughter-clip-art-laughing-emoji.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well now OD trust you will get better, may I suggest this would be an opportune to catch up on a few light duties around home as you are not up to toiling in the brewery.

You could;

Wash the Car, Clean out the shed, mow the lawns, prune the trees, some weeding, take all the rubbish to the dump. Then you could take SWMBO for a nice drive & come home & prepare dinner,

only trying to help. 

64-647127_smiley-lol-emoticon-laughter-clip-art-laughing-emoji.png

yes i could be doing all those chores  , but i am lucky man

my lovely wife she loves washing the car, so i am not going to stand in her way

the gardens and lawns  the last time i did that the landlord nearly had a coronry  as he doesnt like the tenants doing those jobs
he also does the tip venture

preparing meals i have a wonderful partner to cook and does a very good job.

As for a nice drive i thought about that but on weekends and days off i don't like to bring my work home with me, so the partner drives me everywhere

So i might be better of playing nurses and patient with me being the sick patient 

but thankyou for the help mate i will pass these on to the partner for her approval

• Haha 2

MR BEER NORTHWEST PALE ALE

Today I am firing up the Craft FV for a quick in between brews, I have actually run out of LME but have 500gm LDME & some Galaxy.

Should do the job, last time I used 250gm & it was OK but this should be even better.

I reckon after that it will be time to crack a coldy.

Cheers.

20210612_115628 (2).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 4:40 PM, Graubart said:

25L of water and how many kg of malted grain... if you don't mind advising... am keen to learn what sort of balance between water and grain people generally use... obviously it depends entirely on the ABV etc but just am sorta trying to learn more about the grain to strike water ratio to see if I can improve my practices ; )

And Wow it looked truly beautiful - should be a cracker!!!

I used 5.9 kg of grain had 78% efficiency according to I mashed in 30litres and sparged with 5 litres to make my boil volume 30 litres and boiled down to 24litres I think and lost some to cold break or whatever it is and ended with 20ish and 18 or 19 in the keg yesterday. Now I wait! I used the same for my Pilsner the other day except used another two litres for 90 min boil, no chill ended with 25 litres with 75% efficiency don’t seem get as much cold break/crap when I no chill. Beautiful beer 🍻 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozdevil said:

yes i could be doing all those chores  , but i am lucky man

my lovely wife she loves washing the car, so i am not going to stand in her way

the gardens and lawns  the last time i did that the landlord nearly had a coronry  as he doesnt like the tenants doing those jobs
he also does the tip venture

preparing meals i have a wonderful partner to cook and does a very good job.

As for a nice drive i thought about that but on weekends and days off i don't like to bring my work home with me, so the partner drives me everywhere

So i might be better of playing nurses and patient with me being the sick patient 

but thankyou for the help mate i will pass these on to the partner for her approval

You sound like me mate

• Haha 2

Today I am firing up the Craft FV for a quick in between brews, I have actually run out of LME but have 500gm LDME & some Galaxy.

Should do the job, last time I used 250gm & it was OK but this should be even better.

Cheers.

Krausen forming nicely for the above, yeast was added yesterday at 1.00pm, I only used the Kit yeast but I reckon it will be OK.

20210613_091355 (2).jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers.

Krausen forming nicely for the above, yeast was added yesterday at 1.00pm, I only used the Kit yeast but I reckon it will be OK.

20210613_091355 (2).jpg

Nice mood lighting by the way Classic. 😃

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:49 AM, Graubart said:

Lusty noted to me ages ago - that Wheat is only useful re head retention etc - if there is already good body in the beer.  So I would put in both the BE3 and the Liquid Wheat Malt...  note that does raise the ABV and the cost... but I think it would be worth experimenting with... but hey you are the Chief Brewer so needs to fit with the beer you like. 

Hi Graubart.

People get confused about head "development" & head "retention". To the best of my knowledge, I've NEVER stated wheat malt increases head "retention". I have however always been an advocate that it improves head "development".

It's one thing to create a malt profile & carbonation level to produce a good head on a beer, it is another thing to help make it stick around & stay there until the bottom of the glass.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Got three half-brews on the go: Coopers XPA (12l), Ashes Ales (10l) and a Belgian Dubbel (9l)

I couldn’t get Bramling Cross but found Mandarina which apparently has the same flavour profile. No longer proper Ashes ingredients but hey…

I made up an approximation of Coopers BE3 for the Belgian, and dry-pitched a whole pack of S-33. Hope it’s not overboard. OG of 1.072 on that one, better leave it to mature for a cuppla months and go easy on it. Or not 🤣

My drinking bunker is now the brewery too

1B204C48-C11C-45BD-BEAC-24A0BC50D91B.jpeg

• Like 6

Well it's the Queen's Birthday holiday and I've slapped together a Family Secret amber ale with liquid light malt and a CCA yeast starter pitched at 20C and fermenting at 20C.

In keeping with the royal theme and sordid family secrets I'm calling this one Prince Ambrew Ale. (Please note the spelling connotation to avoid costly defamation proceedings from the House of Windsor) 🤣🤣

IMG_20210614_083526.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3