Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

2 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Wow mate!! That looks proper 🍻🙋

Haha mate @PintsAtMeLocal it is a bit of a PITA but firstly the development of All Grain Wort Prep and then after that Kegging and then kegging with Nitro Beer Gas and a Stout Tap to pour -- has only been possible and is a result of all the help and assistance of all the festive Brewers on this very Coopers Brewing sociable site...

and to all of you out there Brewers - for that I am truly grateful!

• Like 1

Just now, Graubart said:

Yep some sort of liquid malt... in addition to the Kit Can... and the BE Box... so as well as those two (not instead of)... but depends on whether you can get the liquid malt ingredients or not... 🤔

Mate @PintsAtMeLocal Pints you have made a lovely beer - but this is just an opportunity for a next step... as me Cobber @CLASSIC would agree too... 

I do agree @Graubart  pointed me in that direction some time ago & I am so grateful, LME has had an enormous impact on my beers & I highly recommend it.

Forget Dextrose or use it in smaller quantities.  

That is the great thing about this forum, there are a lot of beer legends on it daily all willing to offer valuable advice & help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I fully appreciate the insight and note all advice. Will be sure to look out next time at brew shop. Does the liquid malt have a better result than the dry malt extract?

It is for me all about getting slowly closer and closer to The Truth.

So the Truth is freshly milled malted grain barley wheat and rye mainly... mashed in good quality water and boiled with good hops... and then cooled and fermented in good hygienic conditions at the right Temperature for the right length of time with a good yeast.

The Coopers Liquid Kit is great - but then dry malt is one step further from the Truth i.e. spray drying of the malted grain Wort - that makes the BE or dry malt - denatures critical proteins essential for creamy mouthfeel, head and head retention.

You still make great beer and miles better than the Megaswill purveyors of highly advertised dishwater. 

But to improve... liquid malt is the next step for any KnK brewer... after that there is the opportunity for partials.... malting some malted grain in a pot yourself and adding that to the beer...

And finally then off to All Grain where you do it all yourself... but one step at a time and there are many ways to the top of the mountain.

image.thumb.png.6f01021d9a7d89a61d7027ad54ad4198.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Forget Dextrose or use it in smaller quantities.  

As @PB2 or maybe Frank (Coopers) said to me once... Dextrose does a good beer not make ; )

But I was coming off a Coopers Kit KnK Cane Sugar base... so I did think and do believe today that Dex is better than Cane Sugar... 

But there are many more other wondrous things available in the BBJ ahead for those willing to risk all and cast off, sail forth, and undertake the journey  🏴‍☠️

BBJ = the Beautiful Brewing Journey

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

The Mountain Stout looks like a ripper!

Thanks @kmar92 KMar mate appreciate your feedback very much -  it has been a real journey... getting to All Grain... producing a nicely freshly milled stout wort with a good ferment... then to  kegging... then managing the second gas stream of Nitro Beer Gas - the nuances associated with gassing the Nitro Brews up.... and then obviously you need the specific Stout Tap with perforated plate to achieve that cream through increased turbulence on the pour... takes a bit more doing than the tried and true beautiful CO2 beers - but is a really nice brew to complement the other CO2 brews in the Brewery's offerings ; )

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I fully appreciate the insight and note all advice. Will be sure to look out next time at brew shop. Does the liquid malt have a better result than the dry malt extract?

some like myself say it does and others say it doesn't apparently the process of making it dry makes it lose some of its properties. I usually combine both a beer tin plus tin of liquid malt plus 250 gram dry to 20 litres gives me a beer of about 5% in keg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Dark days deserve dark beer...  the Mountain Stout is pouring well:

image.thumb.png.d0482ce483368e9432324253df5f820d.png

Be very careful there GB as you may just turn me....

...into a AG stout brewer and drinker. 😲  OMG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Cloudy IPA late and dry hopped with Galaxy/Citra/Simcoe really nice after couple of weeks in the keg.  I also used verdant yeast.

Beautiful looking drop @RDT2 RD and nice hop yeast combo... gold!

• Thanks 1

Wai-itiRed2.thumb.jpg.e4a62e81fea8950e51fa67c4394cdcdf.jpg

Diving back into this one -  a partial built on a BR NZ Company Bitter can, with GF Ale Malt and 100g Wai-iti hops.  Extremely delicious beer!   And, while I've used Wai-iti in the past I don't think I'd really ever given them the credit they truly deserve.  They're also a very low alpha hop which makes them quite well suited for use with higher IBU cans.  I'll certainly be making more use of Wai-iti in the future.  But for now... I'm going back for a second...   bottle!  😜 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The recent craft ROTM hazelnut chocolate stout. I actually had the Bad Shepherd double choc hazelnut brown last night (one of the best beers in Oz I reckon) and this one is pretty bloody close! Beautifully creamy and full of body and that hazelnut on the nose and chocolate at the end! Oh man! Only been in the bottle about 3 weeks and is only going to get better 🤞

DEB59B4C-C6D1-4DC1-9ED9-450DB141C6AE.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Wai-itiRed2.thumb.jpg.e4a62e81fea8950e51fa67c4394cdcdf.jpg

Diving back into this one -  a partial built on a BR NZ Company Bitter can, with GF Ale Malt and 100g Wai-iti hops.  Extremely delicious beer!   And, while I've used Wai-iti in the past I don't think I'd really ever given them the credit they truly deserve.  They're also a very low alpha hop which makes them quite well suited for use with higher IBU cans.  I'll certainly be making more use of Wai-iti in the future.  But for now... I'm going back for a second...   bottle!  😜 

@BlackSands  Lovely looking beer, I also like the BR range of beers in fact I am drinking the Whispering Wheat right now, I added Galaxy to this brew but haven't tried Wai-iti hops before, maybe it is more suited but this is fast becoming one of my favourite beers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I added Galaxy to this brew...

Now there's a hop I've never tried but one that I really want to experience.  Historically it's been hard to find here in NZ... and my usual LHBS certainly don't stock it... not sure why?  🤔    However after a quick search I see a couple of online stores here have it in stock so I might just treat myself... finally!   🎁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Now there's a hop I've never tried but one that I really want to experience.  Historically it's been hard to find here in NZ... and my usual LHBS certainly don't stock it... not sure why?  🤔    However after a quick search I see a couple of online stores here have it in stock so I might just treat myself... finally!   🎁

It's funny as that is usually the one hop that BIG W & Dan Murphy's Bottle shops usually stock, at first I thought it must be just ordinary, in fact it gives off a nice aroma & flavour.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

It's funny as that is usually the one hop that BIG W & Dan Murphy's Bottle shops usually stock, at first I thought it must be just ordinary, in fact it gives off a nice aroma & flavour.

Since when do Big Dubbya and Dan stock hops?   (I am a bush pig so I don't know what the latest developments are in 'the Big Smoke')

Galaxy - beautiful - when fresh such lovely late hop aromas... v bitter on a long boil... but nice bitter crispness in small quantities...  A Galaxy Smash Pils can be a beautiful thing! 

Edited by Graubart

15 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Since when do Big Dubbya and Dan stock hops?   (I am a bush pig so I don't know what the latest developments are in 'the Big Smoke')

Galaxy - beautiful - when fresh such lovely late hop aromas... v bitter on a long boil... but nice bitter crispness in small quantities...  A Galaxy Smash Pils can be a beautiful thing! 

Hey Graubster, Big W & Dan's depending on the size of the shop both have homebrew sections & the ones that I visit have a limited range namely Galaxy Hops. So for that reason alone I am assuming it has to be one of the most popular hop varieties. 

So far I have had good results with it but I have a plethora of others. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Yes do it BS, Galaxy is good.  Its one of my favorite hops in ales, nice pineapple-ily passion fruity type aromas.  Its generally hard to get here too as all the big boy brewers snaffle up supplies pretty quickly albeit lately my usual supplier has stocks again.  I buy the bigger bags of the stuff and accept the risk the slow degrading of AA numbers etc. rather than have none at all at hand on brew day.

Be interested in trying your NZ hops too as they sound right up my alley.  Cheers for the heads up.

• Like 1

So my father in law got me a lovely Bootmakers pale ale with BE 2 for my bday. Long story short I used incorrect bottles for 2nd fermentation and it didn't carbonate. Managed to transfer some to a better container and now it's at week 2 in thay container. What a lovely base tin to make a great beer. Next time I will add more malt and lots of dry hops

IMG-20210716-WA0017.jpeg

• Like 4