Jump to content
Hairy

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

I was sipping on a OS draught

Beers look great!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Barramullafella probably already mentioned this but did you use the woollies lager kit yeast I noticed u crossed put lager and put ale. I thought someone else done one and said it was lager yeast and instructions said brew on 13 degrees?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Thanks Muzzy, and all. I will stick with the beer extracts and just add various bits & pieces for awhile as I am achieving some nice beers so far. The plan is to find a beer that I am very happy with and then modify the ingredients to see what changes take place. For example adding different hops or add more/less of an ingredient. When I get bored with that and sober up a bit, I may look further into things like kegs etc. 

Sounds very similar to my progress as a brewer. I'm 3.5 years into my current brewing journey and I'm still happily using extracts but gradually making changes as I go. It's slow and steady for me but I don't see the need to rush by a good beer when I've made one. If it's good I make it again the same way. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Sounds very similar to my progress as a brewer. I'm 3.5 years into my current brewing journey and I'm still happily using extracts but gradually making changes as I go. It's slow and steady for me but I don't see the need to rush by a good beer when I've made one. If it's good I make it again the same way. 

Reminds me of the old saying 'If it's not broken, don't try & fix it" 

But of course a few changes here & there help.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Thanks Muzzy, and all. I will stick with the beer extracts and just add various bits & pieces for awhile as I am achieving some nice beers so far. The plan is to find a beer that I am very happy with and then modify the ingredients to see what changes take place. For example adding different hops or add more/less of an ingredient. When I get bored with that and sober up a bit, I may look further into things like kegs etc. 

@Barramullafella too right mate, I just make incremental changes each time and it seems to go quite nicely. I’ve never made a duff Coopers recipe ( made some dodgy Belgian ones mind). I’m now trying full extract boils and so far so good. I’d like to go for kegging but getting that past the head of Entertainment and Leisure Activities might be tricky. 
Softly softly catchee monkey …

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Barramullafella probably already mentioned this but did you use the woollies lager kit yeast I noticed u crossed put lager and put ale. I thought someone else done one and said it was lager yeast and instructions said brew on 13 degrees?

Woolies Lager and used that yeast. But, I am thinking it may be an ale yeast as it fires up and does the job without a stagger.  Also, cause I did not 'lager' it, I cannot call it a lager and hence the cross-out and name change 🙂. I did hear that Woolies Brews are Toohey's supplied. 

 

STQUINTO I hear ya. I like to know why things work and why it does not. I guess it is my nature. If something fails I need to know why, and if something works, I need to know why. 😉 Good luck with the Minister for Entertainment. 

Edited by Barramullafella
To answer anudda.
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Barramullafella next time read the can I think it might be proper lager yeast even if can't lager bottles brewed cool with proper lager yeast will still make it taste better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

I did hear that Woolies Brews are Toohey's supplied. 

@Barramullafella  You are probably right, there does seem to be a link to Toohey's  https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails/201670/tooheys-home-brew-special-lager

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8283

I had heard that myself, so at the end of the day after looking at your beers lately, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. They look great !!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I’d like to go for kegging but getting that past the head of Entertainment and Leisure Activities might be tricky. 
Softly softly catchee monkey …

I sympathise with you guys with SWMBO & various other names they are referred to re: Brewing equipment purchases, my  Pilot mate calls his the DFA ( Director of Fun & Activities )

I am single but it is still a reasonably big step to suddenly jump into kegging from Extract ( not impossible ) but the extra expense, room & learning the ropes etc is a bit daunting at the start although I think my choice would be a Series X Kegerator, if I can achieve that I would be a happy man.

Cheers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Euro lager in a glass I pulled out of cabinet took a lot of cleaning and hot water to get dust from bottom 

20210610_182447.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_7858.thumb.jpg.9c252ede05a50197363d7c21104f286c.jpg

cascarillo amber ale on tap this week, yum and the perfect weather for it

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stickers said:

IMG_7858.thumb.jpg.9c252ede05a50197363d7c21104f286c.jpg

cascarillo amber ale on tap this week, yum and the perfect weather for it

Most definitely I am having a Stout ATM, I don't know where you are but it's currently 14 degrees going down to 8 in Adelaide but it is the weather for it.

Nice looking Beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Most definitely I am having a Stout ATM, I don't know where you are but it's currently 14 degrees going down to 8 in Adelaide but it is the weather for it.

Nice looking Beer.

12.5c in melbourne town, no wind tonight though - yesterday was horrible

you should checkout the cascarillo Phil, it's pretty much just a toucan but you boil up 1/3 of one of the cans and add some hops

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stickers said:

12.5c in melbourne town, no wind tonight though - yesterday was horrible

you should checkout the cascarillo Phil, it's pretty much just a toucan but you boil up 1/3 of one of the cans and add some hops

That sounds like a damn good idea, Cheers for that, I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Barramullafella next time read the can I think it might be proper lager yeast even if can't lager bottles brewed cool with proper lager yeast will still make it taste better.

Shall do next can I get Jamiek86.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 7:37 PM, CLASSIC said:

I do love the Weihenstephaner range, haven't had a bad one yet

You won't.  One of the oldest breweries in the World and is State owned... has a fair bit to do with the local Uni in Wstep... if I had another crack and could go around again I would like to go there and study brewing with the legends over there hahaha.  But in the meantime my AG ain't too bad either haha!  Predominantly thanks to the guidance and help from the Braumeisters on this site!!! 👍

And discussing and trying to explain stuff for Brewskis who ask questions also helps you learn as you have to think about what you are doing so it is all pretty positive ; )

And yes re Wsteph - do try to find the Weizenbock Vitus...  another amazing brew in its own Weizenbock Brew Category ... 

image.thumb.png.e9c15acb8565531e0af1d058b217b1f0.png

On 5/29/2021 at 6:59 PM, CLASSIC said:

I think the Graubster is the expert here, I have had some of them & they are nice but some taste like you just put a handful of wheat in your mouth. As you say those 500ml bottles are great for brewing.

Cheers.

I do know a little about Weizen but the Bavarian Beer Baron who really does know something is @Aussiekraut AK -- tho we disagree somewhat on which Bavarian Laender makes the best Hefeweizen haha!

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 6/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, CLASSIC said:

Another Happy Customer

I had a mate around last night for a few beers & dinner as he is going in for major surgery on Thursday

20210607_193124 (2).jpg

Both nice photos Phil but the top one now seen above is absolutely brilliant... really really well done.  Wow.  Great Beer Great Photo Great Mate.... hope he goes well.

Wish him Gute Besserung from me mate!

Cheers

GB

 

And All Brewers - sorry if I have a swag of posts in a row... but been off-line for a while and you lot have certainly been busy in my absence 😋

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Both nice photos Phil but the top one now seen above is absolutely brilliant... really really well done.  Wow.  Great Beer Great Photo Great Mate.... hope he goes well.

Wish him Gute Besserung from me mate!

Cheers

GB

Thanks & Cheers Graubster, the settings on the newer phone cameras are brilliant to create effects, in night mode due to a slower shutter speed you can blur the background to focus on the main subject, pretty little thing isn't he 🤣  I took him to Hospital for surgery yesterday & he is in recovery as we speak.  So I will pass on Ich wunsche dir alles Gute.

Cheers

Phil

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2021 at 9:21 PM, RDT2 said:

As @Norris! said +2 I’ve had mine for two months and love it!

Yeah Phil @CLASSIC as @Norris! Norris and @Green Blob Blobski and RD say... I would agree - go with the Kegerator option first.

Your beer making has advanced so nicely I reckon you deserve to make your life easier by going with "one big stainless steel bottle" 😋 rather than 50 little phuckers...

I did it the other way as has @Aussiekraut AussieK and did AG first in bottles - and AG in bottles is PURE GOLD... and if one did not have funds or space or fridges or whatever... I would say go to AG not kegging first... but if you have the funds, the fridge (or get Kegerator obviously) and the space, it just makes things a bit faster and also does add a bit too regards texture on the carbonation tho bottled AG is just fine too. 

And then once you have the kegging under control (and there is the kegging thread I guess you know) and @Red devil 44 Reddler is the absolute Gas and Kegging Guru as does that sorta thing for a living so we are v lucky to have him on the site... 

Yeah so there is loadsa good inf floating around.

And just a tiny thought - I just procured and used the following Kegging Assets to begin with:

1. CO2 Bottle

2. Harris Regulator (Aussie Co)

3. Lines

4. Pluto Gun

5. One new Corny Keg

6. One Liquid Disconnect

7. One Gas Disconnect

And I bought it off Colin Discount HB I believe up at Kuranda somewhere up there where the Brau-n-Salumi-n-Bread Meister is @Green Blob and got him to do 3.5m line with stainless steel crimps - and the pluto gun and gas reg n disconnect already clamped up and ready to go.... and shipping is nil over hundred bux so I reckon is good value.... suspect you probs have many options living in The Big Smoke tho hey.

https://www.discounthomebrewsupplies.com.au/product/19l-ball-lock-keg/

And then for cooling I just used my brewfridge.... was gold.  But then of course when it's summer you need your brew fridge back so you end up having to get kegerator or other fridge/freezer.

So there is the 'simple' step forward which is much less exy than Kegerator...  and all that stuff will come in handy anyway even if you get a fully decked out Kegerator.

But then don't forget about the opportunity for AG once you have mastered Kegging hahaha!

HTH 😝

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yeah Phil @CLASSIC as @Norris! Norris and @Green Blob Blobski and RD say... I would agree - go with the Kegerator option first.

Your beer making has advanced so nicely I reckon you deserve to make your life easier by going with "one big stainless steel bottle" 😋 rather than 50 little phuckers...

I did it the other way as has @Aussiekraut AussieK and did AG first in bottles - and AG in bottles is PURE GOLD... and if one did not have funds or space or fridges or whatever... I would say go to AG not kegging first... but if you have the funds, the fridge (or get Kegerator obviously) and the space, it just makes things a bit faster and also does add a bit too regards texture on the carbonation tho bottled AG is just fine too. 

And then once you have the kegging under control (and there is the kegging thread I guess you know) and @Red devil 44 Reddler is the absolute Gas and Kegging Guru as does that sorta thing for a living so we are v lucky to have him on the site... 

Yeah so there is loadsa good inf floating around.

And just a tiny thought - I just to begin with bought:

1. CO2 Bottle

2. Harris Regulator (Aussie Co)

3. Lines

4. Pluto Gun

5. One new Corny Keg

6. One Liquid Disconnect

7. One Gas Disconnect

And then just used my brewfridge.... was gold.  But then of course when it's summer you need your brew fridge back so you end up having to get kegerator or other fridge/freezer.

So there is the 'simple' step forward which is much less exy than Kegerator...  and all that stuff will come in handy anyway even if you get a fully decked out Kegerator.

But then don't forget about the opportunity for AG once you have mastered Kegging hahaha! 😝

All that info is Gold & I appreciate it. A Kegerator would be my first option, I have got an older Brew Fridge plenty big enough to convert but I would be worried about the age of it.

I haven't used it for months for brewing as all of the brews of late have been at ambient & they are all fine. So as Xmas gets closer who knows that might be my first step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cappuccino after busy brew morning with coopers products loyal customer remember 😇

20210611_142010.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 2:49 AM, stquinto said:

This is an extract Old Speckled Hen clone

Wow really looks The Goods there Saint!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, Barramullafella said:

OS real ale

 

On 6/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, Barramullafella said:

I feel cheated having not brewed with the latest ingredients [enhancers] for years and having to drink swill lol

Hey there Barra at least you are on the right track now mate and reaping the benefits!!

I always liked the OS Real Ale from Coopers when I was doing KnK mate - good stuff! 

And as Phil @CLASSIC notes -- if you have not tried using the Coopers Malt Liquid Extract Tins to add to your KnK then it might be worth giving it a little go... 

I sorta think that the Coopers OS Real Ale would go well with either the Light Liquid Malt or the Amber Malt... or try both and compare haha?!

And I would usually recommend One Coopers Kit - One Coopers can of Liquid Malt - and one pack of your favourite Coopers Brew Enhancer.... sorta works really well together... but it may be higher octane than what you would want.. so then just jettison the Dry stuff and go with One KnK tin plus One Liquid Malt can...  just a thought... 

Been out of the loop and away for a while and apologise if I am repeating myself haha🥳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...