Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Well, what a pleasant surprise!  This is my "emergency" brew...  when my AG order went astray last month I threw down this quick kit beer as an interim stock replenisher.  Real ale can, LME and 40g of Pacific Jade hops I happened to have on hand, and fermented with voss slurry.  In the past I've always just used Pacific Jade as a bittering addition, being a fairly high alpha variety.  But I have to say as a flavor hop it's actually surprisingly good!  I'm definitely going to use it again as a flavour/aroma addition.  This beer is quite hoppy for just a mere 40g of jade, which is quite low by pale ale standards but I might try a larger dose next time regardless!  

JadeAle.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Well, what a pleasant surprise!  This is my "emergency" brew...  when my AG order went astray last month I threw down this quick kit beer as an interim stock replenisher.  Real ale can, LME and 40g of Pacific Jade hops I happened to have on hand, and fermented with voss slurry.  In the past I've always just used Pacific Jade as a bittering addition, being a fairly high alpha variety.  But I have to say as a flavor hop it's actually surprisingly good!  I'm definitely going to use it again as a flavour/aroma addition.  This beer is quite hoppy for just a mere 40g of jade, which is quite low by pale ale standards but I might try a larger dose next time regardless!  

JadeAle.jpg

The real ale can always delivers. When i was K@K brewing it was my go to.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's sounds good, I have one brewing ATM, only put together on the 12th Nov, first time I have brewed i.

Nice and malty. Has some bitterness so hopefully you didnt add any early hop additions in a boil. Goes well though with a late addition in a boil or dry hop.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Nice and malty. Has some bitterness so hopefully you didnt add any early hop additions in a boil. Goes well though with a late addition in a boil or dry hop.

i've got a real ale on the go too (kegging tomorrow) and went with this strategy, 30 min boil of my partial but only hopped it at 5 mins, flameout and dry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i've got a real ale on the go too (kegging tomorrow) and went with this strategy, 30 min boil of my partial but only hopped it at 5 mins, flameout and dry.

Yep, thats the way. I learnt the hard way with that can. But do the right thing you'll have a beer that cant be distinguished as an extract home brew.

• Like 2

IMG_8775.thumb.jpg.479097158d4b05ac6182fcf712d344cc.jpg

still needs a day on the gas but this is the verdant hazy kit kilo and partial that took forever and a day in the FV

833381709_hazy75.jpg.a09cb33026fec52314083e69d02a1e69.jpg

lots going on, trying chinook for the first time (one of @Classic Brewing Co's posts a few pages back inspired me to try chinook), lots of flavour tonight but still needs that little bit more fizz before it settles down i think. fun brew

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Stickers said:

lots going on, trying chinook for the first time (one of @Classic Brewing Co's posts a few pages back inspired me to try chinook), lots of flavour tonight but still needs that little bit more fizz before it settles down i think. fun brew

I love Chinook, nice piney, spicy taste, it lingers. 🤤

• Like 2

My AG recipe of the 1911 Carlsberg Pilsner.  I have been savoring this petite baby as it is just so good.  Still a few glasses left in the keg after nearly 4 months.  Its on my brew day list to do again.  Might do a big double batch next time and pressure ferment it out in the 58 L Kegmenter just to see how the Copenhagen Lager yeast handles that.

1911 Carlsberg Pilsner after 4 months in the keg - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

My AG recipe of the 1911 Carlsberg Pilsner.  I have been savoring this petite baby as it is just so good.  Still a few glasses left in the keg after nearly 4 months.  Its on my brew day list to do again.  Might do a big double batch next time and pressure ferment it out in the 58 L Kegmenter just to see how the Copenhagen Lager yeast handles that.

That looks really nice Al, clear, creamy head, everything you want in a Pilsner 👍 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stickers said:

hope this isn't a stupid question but have you constantly kept that keg online or do you swap them in and out?

Not a stupid question there stickers.  I have a Keezer which holds 6 kegs and a keg fridge that holds 2 kegs.  The two in the keg fridge are always on-line carbed up and ready to serve.  In the Keezer I have only 2 gas connects and 2 Pluto guns and I swap them to kegs as required.  Once they are all carbed up I just choose what beer I want to drink that evening and tap those.  This Carlsberg Pilsner is one of the Keezer kegs which gets tapped from time to time.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That looks really nice Al, clear, creamy head, everything you want in a Pilsner 👍 😋

Thanks Phil, yes it is very nice sipping.  I sort of promised myself to lager this baby until Christmas Day but you know how it is... just cannot leave a good beer alone and then its gone!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 11/15/2021 at 9:25 AM, Pickles Jones said:

I might have missed it but where do you get prices like this. 🍻

They are American prices, I make 5 litres of Kraken at home for $20 so it's kinda meh but to get the real deal cheap is good when you get it. Covid hasn't slowed my traveling at all so I still get international prices. 🤟

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pale Man said:

The real ale can always delivers. When i was K@K brewing it was my go to.

Yes, while I enjoy brewing my stove-top BIAB AG's I certainly have no problem using the Real Ale can as a simple K&K or partial.  I'd forgotten how good it is as it's been quite a while since I last opened one up!  All it needs is some tasty late hop additions are you're set.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Yes, while I enjoy brewing my stove-top BIAB AG's I certainly have no problem using the Real Ale can as a simple K&K or partial.  I'd forgotten how good it is as it's been quite a while since I last opened one up!  All it needs is some tasty late hop additions are you're set.  

That reminds I must give the Real Ale another go soon. It always turned out well the few times I've made it but I constantly get distracted by other beers I haven't tried before and it gets left on the shelf.

• Like 4

I am sneak testing a Pale Ale 3 weeks old, slightly green but it is developing heaps of flavour, Chinook & POR were used which gives me the hop bite I like & I experimented with a lesser amount of LME & used up some Band Malt I had in stock.

To me it thins the malty taste & it appears lighter in body, as you may have noticed I don't CC, but why would you with a Pale ??

I think this will mature nicely. Cheers Phil

700493376_PaleAle171121.thumb.jpg.9249cdf63bc89e89edddc50af4133148.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, BlackSands said:

@BlackSands it looks like you have joined a few of us that have changed our avatar, are you really a bank robber or did you just get caught ? 🤣

Regarding the Coopers Real Ale, you guys are giving me encouragement as I have never brewed one before, mine has been going since 12/11/21 & there is still action with the airlock so I am looking forward to tasting this also. Cheers.

• Like 3

First pour of my AG recipe of @ozdevil's American Pale Ale, only 2 days in the keg.  Am very glad I toned the ABV down to 3.6% for a session beer as it certainly is that and it will be very hard to leave this keg alone tonight.

Would have thought with the big dry hop it would have been more "hoppy" but am very happy with the aroma and taste and where it sits.  👍 😋   A couple of weeks or more in the keg will clear it up a bit more.  Most of the haze in pic is condensate on my cold glass.

Its going to be a great Christmas sipper if I can leave it alone for that long.

OzDevil's American Pale Ale - first pour - resized.jpg

• Like 8