Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

10 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Hefeweizen tin with a 30min hop boil, Verdant ipa yeast and a 90g dry hop. A treat at 8 days in bottle. I have the flu so the hops are helping a ton!!

IMG-20211017-WA0023.jpeg

Sad to hear your feeling a bit off colour Pints but pleased to know you’re taking your medicine 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bitter Lion - 2nd partial mash brew based on a Lion Draught can I picked up on sale a while back.  Paired it up with some Gladfield malts and a generous dose of fuggles hops to make this English Bitter.  No complaints.   

BitterLion1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Yep agree Phil. Probably why your beer ended up so clear.
I have been cold crashing for the last 10 or so brews but I think I won’t bother with pale ales anymore, and not with my pacific ale recipe. I have noticed it takes a bit longer for the bottles to carbonate with a CC but that may be due in part to the cooler weather. 
I’ll still CC my lagers to get them as clear as I can. But hoppy ales I want them carbonated and ready to go so I can enjoy those hops before they fade away…

Cheers 🍻✌️

Yes TB I don't see the point of CC with a Pale, with this yeast or similar it cleans itself up beautifully & the last few batches have been very clear, also the taste is crisp with a hop bite & a lovely head. I agree with lagers although I am starting to move away from them in favour of Ales as I have a batch now that is very heavy to drink so I will box it for a few months.

Cheers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Bitter Lion - 2nd partial mash brew based on a Lion Draught can I picked up on sale a while back.  Paired it up with some Gladfield malts and a generous dose of fuggles hops to make this English Bitter.  No complaints.   

BitterLion1.jpg

Looks fabulous. I’m seriously going to have to up my game…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Tone boy said:

Mate that photo is next level. What a beautiful location. Have you been getting photography tips from @BlackSands
Oh and the beer looks good too🤣👍

Haha @Tone boy Toner no the Sandman @BlackSands has the Gear and Technique I just fortunately have got some nice backdrops and lighting... dunno whether it comes through that well in the Bockbier photo but the light was just amazing ; )

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You could keg hop it.

It’s been in a keg since 23rd September, with some sugar for conditioning. So I let the gas out and put some hops in a bag, with a string out of the keg to pull it out?  How long in, a week or so?

IMG_8473.thumb.jpg.7824bdfa6197b06814fdb5b46cd57a87.jpg

cooper's mexican cervaza kit and kilo. made during a weekend where i could not be bothered doing anything other than a tip and mix. not one i'll do again but kind of glad i made it, mostly so i have beer but also to prove to myself that the extra tinkering i've been doing is actually worth it. even a dry hop would have boosted this one considerably.

• Like 5

On 10/16/2021 at 9:03 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

The last of my Modus Operandi - Russian Imperial Stout.  One year and eight days old.

Aromas of coffee, black current, chocolate and roasty

Flavours to match, with an appropriately robust bitterness.

This is a great beer.

IMG_2616.JPG.e9c03c2913d94de3bfb3d1f324dabef6.JPG

Bloody love that beer…. Where did you peep the recipe mate? Or you take a stab at it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I don’t keg @Shamus O'Sean and @stquinto so how do you do that? Do you just degas the keg and throw in hops and gas it up again?

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

It’s been in a keg since 23rd September, with some sugar for conditioning. So I let the gas out and put some hops in a bag, with a string out of the keg to pull it out?  How long in, a week or so?

I have never done it but have read about it.  If you are lucky, you might have keg lids with a lug with a hole in it under the lid.  Get a stainless hop ball or similar with a chain on it.  Long enough so that when you refit the lid, the hop ball will be submerged in the beer.  Load up hops.  Hang from hook under lid.  Refit lid to keg.  Hops will be in the keg long enough to add aroma to the beer.  Once you have drank enough, the hops will no longer be submerged in the beer.  But by then they will have done their job.  Some folks just drop the hops in and leave them, but they need to be contained and the container cannot be allowed to block the dip tube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Bloody love that beer…. Where did you peep the recipe mate? Or you take a stab at it?

I am no way good enough to even attempt to take an educated guess at the recipe.

Modus Operandi released some details a while ago either on their webpage or Facebook.  My brother-in-law sent it to me. Here's what he sent:

1986108366_MORISRecipe2.jpg.cc3191ca3e37ab7dc7719e63fefd99c8.jpg

Here's a summary of what I brewed:

1376394216_MORISRecipe.jpg.e9bc2760d896ac4710f61ac4201d27b3.jpg

Fermented with Nottingham

• Like 5

IMG_8496.thumb.jpg.26e41892e2b52f000a31cac359d15952.jpg

lots of flavour in this one, a quick and easy toucan with a can of cooper's lager, a can of amber malt extract and 500g of LDM. supplied kit yeast r007 (2 packs). not much head on it yet but another day or two in the keg should see to that. tasty. malty. easy. happy with this one.

• Like 3

Two days in the keg, obviously not carbed or conditioned but I had to have a tester. My AG Duvel clone.

Well you could push me over with a feather. I've nailed it. It's so close to Duvel even if not better. This is the biggest win I've ever had. I actually feel like a real brewer now. This is a smashing beer for those that appreciate the style. 

Now............I need to let it age. 

20211020_205821.jpg

• Like 8