Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

41 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I omitted the dry hop addition on this one and seems to have impacted the head retention.  

Hey there Mick @Mickep I wouldna thought not having dry hop add would affect head retention - that I thought  had more to do with the proteins in the malt additions... but who knows - maybe there is an interaction also with the hops - maybe they also have an influence? 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

What that be????

This I think....

Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 107.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          84.7 %        3.26 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          8.5 %         0.33 L        
0.40 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          6.8 %         0.26 L        
30.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min           Hop           4          43.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  60 Hop           5          21.1 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  60.0 min Hop           6          12.6 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Cryo - Citra [25.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  60.0 m Hop           7          30.9 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i am going to be doing a sierra nevada   with cryo hops as dry hop addition

how did you find these hops

I don't dry hop so cannot help you with that, but I will say I LOVE the cryo hops. AMAZING flavour, the suggested IBUs really overstate the perceived bitterness

• Like 2

1 minute ago, disgruntled said:

I don't dry hop so cannot help you with that, but I will say I LOVE the cryo hops. AMAZING flavour, the suggested IBUs really overstate the perceived bitterness

thats cool  i'm just interested  in  how well he flavours of the hop come out in cryo hops

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I know when I realised I had said that the edit option was not available, so have to live with it. 😬 😂

@Classic Brewing Co yeah Phil mate, I wasn't sure what you meant now that @iBooz2 mentioned it. 

It's dubbya like in George Dubbya Bush, right ? 🤔

A bit of a pain not being able to edit any more, sometimes even a man of great learning and letters , such as the Mighty@Graubart  can come across as a illiterate peasant (your humble self)

• Haha 2

Happy Days,

I am trying my Coopers Pale Ale bottled on the 14th Sept ( today is 14 days in the bottle ) I was worried that it wouldn't be carbed enough for my liking, It is well & truly & tastes great ! I have just got back from the Pub as I had lunch with a mate & we had a few Pale Ales, this is not only better than the Pub's but it is the lightest I have ever made. I used 1kg BE2 & 500gm LDME.

I am wondering if the light colour was helped with POR & Saaz Hops ?

COOPERS PALE ALE 28 09 21.jpg

COOPERS PALE ALE 28 09 21.jpg 2.jpg

• Like 10

This is a seriously good Coopers Pale Ale, last night I tried a couple from the PET bottles I used as a Carb tester after 14 days, I enjoyed it so much I couldn't help myself opening a carton of Grolsch stock that I was hoping to lager for a while, Fat Chance of that I think.

I used POR & Chinook just for an experiment 20gms each & it is a party in your mouth. I really don't think this could be improved but I guess you AG guys may be able to.

Cheers anyway.

Pale Ale 29 09 21.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I used POR & Chinook just for an experiment 20gms each & it is a party in your mouth. I really don't think this could be improved but I guess you AG guys may be able to.

Hey Phil, Yours could be an example of an extract beer done well being just as good as an all grain beer.

Lighter colour not likely to be due to the hops.  More likely the BE2 which has a very low EBC.  Also, maybe your Aus Pale Ale can might have been very fresh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Phil, Yours could be an example of an extract beer done well being just as good as an all grain beer.

Lighter colour not likely to be due to the hops.  More likely the BE2 which has a very low EBC.  Also, maybe your Aus Pale Ale can might have been very fresh.

Fair enough Shamus, that makes sense, it really tastes like one out of the commercial bottle, only better. The hops really sing !!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Phil @Classic Brewing Co, mate how'd you intro the hops to the wort? Steep and Dry hop? TIA Mick

Howdy @Mickep I infused POR in a SS Hop Ball at start & day 4 chucked the muslin bag of infused Saaz.

So far I have not been a fan of dry hopping, last time it caused grief at bottling clogging up the bottling valve.

I will be trying it again towards summer as so far I haven't bothered to CC as hazy beer doesn't bother me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All grain Pale Ale. Hopped with Simcoe and Cascade. Must admit I love this combo. This beer was meant to be an Oat Cream Pale, I used enough oats to go down that track. But this is freshly kegged just now. Almost chrystal clear out of the fermenter. 

20210930_164151.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

All grain Pale Ale. Hopped with Simcoe and Cascade. Must admit I love this combo. This beer was meant to be an Oat Cream Pale, I used enough oats to go down that track. But this is freshly kegged just now. Almost chrystal clear out of the fermenter.

Looks really nice @Pale Man  nice & clear, pity we can't see the head 🙁 but I reckon it would be there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks really nice @Pale Man  nice & clear, pity we can't see the head 🙁 but I reckon it would be there.

No head ol fella. Just kegged it so its not gassed. Just wanted to show the clarity straight out of the fermenter.

I'll pour again in two weeks if my self control allows.

Maybe i posted this in the wrong thread, should be in the kegging thread. My point was the clarity in the fermenter for the transfer. 

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1