Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah my duvel clone does exactly the same thing. Two different yeasts though. This is WY3787 and the duvel is WY1388.

In regards to head retention if you read the books it's proteins and dextrins and hops and staying away from sugars and dextrose etc. And that certainly has some merit but my best head retention beers have no dextrin malt, little hops and heaps of sugar. My duvel clone is 80% pilsener malt and 20% dextrose. They do have high carbonation though which for me in a glass with lots of nucleation points is key and the yeast has something to do with it to as well.

Is the recipe Kit n Kilo Greeny @Greeny1525229549?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Any chance of a recipe for the Duvel 😇  one of my all time favourite beers. I've been hunting for something decent for a while. 

Attached. This is a 9.5L batch size so you will have to scale it. Simple recipe. Pilsener and dextrose. Be aware the fermentation schedule as well. Its important to start low and let it rise. If you start high you will get harsh solvent flavours. Also I've found you need to oxygenate well. I run my aquarium pump for 15 mins before pitching.

Screenshot_20210924-150210_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20210924-150221_BeerSmith 3.jpg

20210924_150641.jpg

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Attached. This is a 9.5L batch size so you will have to scale it. Simple recipe. Pilsener and dextrose. Be aware the fermentation schedule as well. Its important to start low and let it rise. If you start high you will get harsh solvent flavours. Also I've found you need to oxygenate well. I run my aquarium pump for 15 mins before pitching.

20210924_150641.jpg

Ah lovely, thankyou very much sir. I'll stick that into Brewfather and crunch some numbers.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

20210924_150641.jpg

All in Brewfather for 23 litres. I used 5 kilo of Gladfield German Pilsner and a kilo of Dext. Comes out at 8.3%

Might get it cracking soon ready for Christmas.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Time for a Furphy, your'e always glad you opened one 😋 or six or whatever ... it's Friday. 🥳

Come on now mate @Classic Brewing Co Phil you know that posting should be on the "Today's Tastings" in the renowned Other People's Beer (OTB) and Grammar thread   ; )   

(?Hmmmmmm or should that be Other Peoples' Beer 🥳)

Or maybe OTB is just a Furphy?  🏴‍☠️

All good mate 😋

At least it's in a Southwark glass!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Cheers for that one @Greeny1525229549 mate. I'll give that one a go with a BIAB.

I don't have a cold-crashing facility as I normally don't need one. Do you pitch at the temperature it says in the book (16° - 18°) ? Do you also do the secondary fermentation at that temperature? I suppose I could take out my kegs from the keg-fridge for that, but then I won't have a fridge for 3 weeks. Unless I did the secondary ferment in a 10 litre keg, now that's a thought... 🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Cheers for that one @Greeny1525229549 mate. I'll give that one a go with a BIAB.

I don't have a cold-crashing facility as I normally don't need one. Do you pitch at the temperature it says in the book (16° - 18°) ? Do you also do the secondary fermentation at that temperature? I suppose I could take out my kegs from the keg-fridge for that, but then I won't have a fridge for 3 weeks. Unless I did the secondary ferment in a 10 litre keg, now that's a thought... 🤔

Yeah I pitch low with every Belgian yeast. It's something I sort of worked out before I got the Brew like a Monk book but that confirmed it. Every brewery pitches low and rises. I think that's the secret to a good Belgian. High alcohol but you can't really taste it. And that comes from the low pitch temp. I cold crash this particular yeast WY1388 for a week at least. I don't bother with other Belgians as clarity isn't important like duvel and the yeast is a b*tch to drop out. You could get the same result doing it after bottle or keg carbonation I would think if you didn't have a cold crash facility.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah I pitch low with every Belgian yeast. It's something I sort of worked out before I got the Brew like a Monk book but that confirmed it. Every brewery pitches low and rises. I think that's the secret to a good Belgian. High alcohol but you can't really taste it. And that comes from the low pitch temp. I cold crash this particular yeast WY1388 for a week at least. I don't bother with other Belgians as clarity isn't important like duvel and the yeast is a b*tch to drop out. You could get the same result doing it after bottle or keg carbonation I would think if you didn't have a cold crash facility.

Cheers for the tips mate. I did make an extract version a while back following your and SOS advice using LME, dextrose and 1388

It turned out quite palatable, but considerably more amber than Duvel, and with a strong fruity flavour. Because I hadn't made a proper yeast starter it stalled on me, I stirred it but it didn't help. I ended up adding a half pack of MJ41 (or 49, can't remember which).

So this time I'll go for a BIAB version, and make a starter with 1388. I have a pack that expired at the end of August this year - hopefully if it shows activity in the starter bottle it'll be OK. I do have another pack, but that yeast is quite expensive (probably the same price as the grain bill), so I'd rather try the oud one out. Probably better to do so ASAP too.

Have you ever tried light candi sugar ? I got hold of a couple as I had a cuppla recipes from the US with them for this type of recipe. I do have enough dextrose though.

For the second ferment, I'll stick it into the 10l keg and keep it in the fridge for 3 weeks. Then bottle it. Dunno if it would a good idea to have that in the keg 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Have you ever tried light candi sugar ? I got hold of a couple as I had a cuppla recipes from the US with them for this type of recipe. I do have enough dextrose though.

I think that Candi Sugar is more to style than using Dextrose.  Will it taste any different/better, no idea.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think that Candi Sugar is more to style than using Dextrose.  Will it taste any different/better, no idea.

Candi sugar is bloody expensive when I have a go at a Belgian I think I will have a go at inverted sugar just for an experiment anyone else had a go?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Candi sugar is bloody expensive when I have a go at a Belgian I think I will have a go at inverted sugar just for an experiment anyone else had a go?

I've been looking at this for quite a while to clone some Belgian beers. Not tried yet but I will.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Yeah mate all the time for my Trappist recipes. Almost every one uses it. Blond and golden strong recipes tend to use dextrose or even straight sugar in some instances.

Anyway candi sugar is so damn expensive so I did a fair bit of digging and all it really is is inverted sugar. You can make it yourself which I do as it's so much cheaper. Plenty of videos and instructions online. The only difference when I make it is I never take it to hard crack to keep it in liquid form as it's much easier to work with. The ratios for the colours I have found which are close are

Clear candi - 100% white sugar. 5 mins inversion

Light candi - 100% white sugar. 15 mins inversion 

Amber candi - 25% dark sugar 75% white sugar. 15 mins inversion

Dark candi - 50% dark 50% white. 15 mins inversion 

When using the dark sugar use a bigger pot as it will froth up on you

This is the dark sugar I use. Readily available at woolies or other supermarkets.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/37736/csr-brown-sugar-dark

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Only got 4 bottles of this Czech Pils left, holy sh*t I can’t wait until the temperature drops so I can use dubbya again.

9 months in the bottle, a beaut 😍

Deffo do two or three batches as soon as I can

Nice @stquinto I love Czech Pilsner, I used to go out with a Czech lady & she didn't mind a drop either !! I have made it before with Saaz  & W-34/70 & it always turns out very nice but I haven't tried it with Dubbya.

Cheers.

• Like 1

It's a little cloudy but not raining... mmm maybe it's actually clearing up?

Would I were in an alehouse in London! I would give all my fame for a pot of ale, and safety....

(Henry V Shakespeare Will)

Oh come on now Shakey... just buy some 25kg bags of malted grain, some hops and yeast and reasonable water and off yer go!?!

image.thumb.png.c44ef89aa4aebbeed15c5a75ee0c065e.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

It's a little cloudy but not raining... mmm maybe it's actually clearing up?

Would I were in an alehouse in London! I would give all my fame for a pot of ale, and safety....

(Henry V Shakespeare Will)

Oh come on now Shakey... just buy some 25kg bags of malted grain, some hops and yeast and reasonable water and off yer go!?!

Sound advice from the Chefbrauer der Brauerei.  Just do it !!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mickep said:

A really simple Pacific Ale;

Not the greatest head but really drinkable.

Same thing here @Mickep This Blonde Dry is actually very nice to drink, 4 weeks old so I understand the lack of head retention/lacing but it is pleasant despite not looking like the ticket. I will add it is better than the 4 Pints (SA) of Carlton Draught I had in the Pub yesterday. 🤮

20210926_160316.jpg

20210926_160523.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Same thing here @Mickep This Blonde Dry is actually very nice to drink, 4 weeks old so I understand the lack head retention/lacing but it is pleasant despite not looking like the ticket. I will add it is better than the 4 Pints (SA) of Carlton Draught I had in the Pub yesterday. 🤮

Yep, these extract beers we are making are so much better than the Pub tap mega swill that's for sure. My pacific ale is about 6 weeks in the bottle and tastes really nice....I omitted the dry hop addition on this one and seems to have impacted the head retention.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Yep, these extract beers we are making are so much better than the Pub tap mega swill that's for sure. My pacific ale is about 6 weeks in the bottle and tastes really nice....I omitted the dry hop addition on this one and seems to have impacted the head retention.  

I totally agree I find just the taste alone is better than the S... at the Pub, quite often my ( & others on the forum ) find that the lingering heads we get makes you wonder why did we go to the Pub in the first place. There are exceptions of course the Belgian Beer Cafe's never let you down.

• Like 2