Jump to content
Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?


Hairy
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK this is a sad moment I have just opened my very last ROTM AUS IPA I think April/May ( Shamus would know ) & apart from a slight hop fade, I have heard some of you say that so I thought I would. It still tastes so good I don't want to finish it 🐷's a....

Back to the Brew Room, this is a must for Summer 💥

Cheers

Boo Hoo 😂

LAST ROTM 23 09 2021.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

That AG Stouty Boy that has been in the making in recent weeks... still needs a bit more time on the Nitro BeerGas but is already drinking pretty nicely... probs more Guinnessy than Beamishy this time in terms of general flavour regime... 

 

Nice looking Stout Graubster, it would pass for a Guinness but then that's what you wanted us to think as it's in a Guinness glass, only joking, however your photo reveals what could be mature hop plants ( if you squint ) or is there something going on at the Ponderosa we don't know about. 🤔

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

mature hop plants

No sadly mate not had a lot of luck with Humulus lupus here mate - I believe that the Rust that affects the local Poplars just smashes the "Red Earth" variety I had been trying with... so yer win some yer lose some I guess... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice looking Stout Graubster, it would pass for a Guinness but then that's what you wanted us to think as it's in a Guinness glass, only joking,

To be sure to be sure - well the problem is that I seem to have destroyed all of my straight Pint Glasses....  Last man standing -- that was all I had left for such a drop... well guess it might be the trusty Schooner next... or whatever survives the war of attrition : (

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I suppose that's not a bad start for the day, went shopping at Coles & the Liquor Land next door had 6 packs of Furphy for $12.00 each instead of $20.00 each so I figure the saving is enough to get down to the LHBS & spend $16.00 towards the next brew. Happy Days.

20210923_153909.jpg

Great beer runner

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Graubart said:

That AG Stouty Boy that has been in the making in recent weeks... still needs a bit more time on the Nitro BeerGas but is already drinking pretty nicely... probs more Guinnessy than Beamishy this time in terms of general flavour regime... 

image.thumb.png.2b78ef2fd6576dfee9c106fa5a0e4866.png

 

Looks pretty damned impressive @Graubart Graubster mate 👍

Got a decent Guinness recipe to share? If it’ll suit BIAB I’ll give it a go

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

 

I suppose that's not a bad start for the day, went shopping at Coles & the Liquor Land next door had 6 packs of Furphy for $12.00 each instead of $20.00 each so I figure the saving is enough to get down to the LHBS & spend $16.00 towards the next brew. Happy Days.

 

Good for you Phil, we obviously had the same maths teacher 👍

That’s the way I justify the outlay too

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Good for you Phil, we obviously had the same maths teacher

My maths teacher always said there’s only 3 types of people in this world….those that can count…and those that can’t 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

@Greeny1525229549 mate, that head looks just like a Duvel 👍

D’ya reckon it’s the yeast? Awesome job whatever it is 🤗

Yeah my duvel clone does exactly the same thing. Two different yeasts though. This is WY3787 and the duvel is WY1388.

In regards to head retention if you read the books it's proteins and dextrins and hops and staying away from sugars and dextrose etc. And that certainly has some merit but my best head retention beers have no dextrin malt, little hops and heaps of sugar. My duvel clone is 80% pilsener malt and 20% dextrose. They do have high carbonation though which for me in a glass with lots of nucleation points is key and the yeast has something to do with it to as well.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

Looks pretty damned impressive @Graubart Graubster mate 👍

Got a decent Guinness recipe to share? If it’ll suit BIAB I’ll give it a go

Haha Sainter @stquinto it's pretty much whatever's on the go with base malts and specials available at the time... But proportions something like the below can be a basic starting model... adjust the total kg of malt to whatever ABV u r shooting at w your particular Brewery efficiency using whatever malts you normally use...  I used Lally London Ale Yeast here... but have used US05 plenty as it is pretty tame and lets the malt do the talking...  there are many different configurations...  if you use Lally London Ale Yeast it leaves a remnant Maltotriose that can help w body and a bit of mild aley sweetness... not really 'sweet' to me... just nice.   Hops - just your 'normal' ale type mild hopping regime... it's the Malt here that should be up and and out in front.  Some would suggest Fuggles or EKG... something like 30g @60 and then 30 @ 10 (10 mins remaining) during the hop boil. 

So you could sub out Carafa III a dark malt for Choc or other dark malt you like... but I would throw in some Roasted Barley.   Munich is not essential... just depends what you have in stock at the time ; )  Also sometimes a little smoked malt is not a bad addition but not to overpower it.  You don't have to have the Rye and Wheat but Base Malt and then some dark malt/s and probably yes Roasted Barley... Anyway - here is the latest config ; )

%    Grain
4    Roasted Barley
7    Carafa III
57    Pale Malt
21    Munich
3    Rye
8    Wheat
100    Total

This one of Jamil's might be worth having a look... it's a LME-Grain combo... but useful frame of reference.

https://byo.com/recipe/american-stout/

And here is one of @disgruntled Disg's recipes from the past - has been one of my references in my Stout journey...  I probs would not use a wheat beer yeast meself... but it really just depends on what you are chasing hey...  ; )

HTH

image.thumb.png.11bef39dfe462a5f215de6f3b8174119.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah my duvel clone does exactly the same thing. Two different yeasts though. This is WY3787 and the duvel is WY1388.

In regards to head retention if you read the books it's proteins and dextrins and hops and staying away from sugars and dextrose etc. And that certainly has some merit but my best head retention beers have no dextrin malt, little hops and heaps of sugar. My duvel clone is 80% pilsener malt and 20% dextrose. They do have high carbonation though which for me in a glass with lots of nucleation points is key and the yeast has something to do with it to as well.

Any chance of a recipe for the Duvel 😇  one of my all time favourite beers. I've been hunting for something decent for a while. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK this is a sad moment I have just opened my very last ROTM AUS IPA I think April/May ( Shamus would know ) & apart from a slight hop fade, I have heard some of you say that so I thought I would. It still tastes so good I don't want to finish it 🐷's a....

Back to the Brew Room, this is a must for Summer 💥

Cheers

Boo Hoo 😂

LAST ROTM 23 09 2021.jpg

Commiserations, Phil.

I have a few litres left in my keg.  I agree, mine seems to have held its aroma and flavour really well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...