kayak phil

Coffee in Brew

Hi All Fellow Brewers,

I have been brewing for a number of years and have always used the KISS (method ie Keep it simple ect,) how ever recently 

I have been putting Nescafe instant coffee in the Wort of Coppers Dark Ale , I have also used Cocco as well though I have only roughly 

Mesured  the quanity  of each , I have started using light dry Malt Coopers as well also either brewing enhancher 3 and B,E,3 or plain white sugar .

I recently mixed Maconna  Caramel and Nes cafe  together but did not like it that much and have been mixing either lemonade and more recently 

Coopers Commercial stout like a Back and Tan which to me gives it a nice taste.

Interested to know if any one else has done similar methods ,  Or any  other simple recipes that I could try my usual brew is the Daker Ales.

Kayak Phil.

7 minutes ago, kayak phil said:

Interested to know if any one else has done similar methods ,  Or any  other simple recipes that I could try my usual brew is the Daker Ales.

I made a Coopers Stout & Dark Ale stout and added 100g fresh ground coffee beans with a dessertspoon of vanilla extract as a 'dry hop' - did it day 4 and FG was day 7. Worked very well but next time I will do 75g of the beans and make the vanilla a tablespoon. The vanilla kinda gets lost in the coffee - also some others who have tried it thought the coffee too strong. But to me it's a very nice drop indeed.

I'm not a fan of instant coffee so I have no idea what that would do to a stout or dark beer. I haven't used any of the BE's since I discovered LDME and I normally use raw sugar instead of white. The sugar goes into a yeast starter rather than added to the wort. So usually 200g - 300g in 3 litres water, then pitch the yeast, wait a couple of hours (usually as I am preparing the rest) then pitch the lot into the FV.

Some guys on here swear by LME instead of LDME and I intend to try 2 brew experiment where the 2 are the same except for that ingredient and see - I've been using LME but it's hard to tell if it is better when each brew is different.

Cold steep freshly ground coffee overnight and add the liquid to the FV (after straining the coffee).

It would go well in the dark ale or stout.

Lemonade, Moccona caramel, nescafe instant...

WOW, I thought I tried some different things in my beer.

• Haha 1