Coopers Community

Making a Kveik starter to pitch and harvest from

rugbrod

So I'm looking to put down a 10 litre brew in the next few days with Voss Kveik, and I am wondering whether the following is a reasonable thing to do:

- Make Voss starter

- Pitch a small amount of the starter

- Save half of the remaining starter

- Dry the last half and harvest

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Seems complicated, why?

Fair call. I have a few reasons.

Firstly, I don't want to overpitch as Kveik works best when underpitched, so I don't want to chuck the whole packet in.

And secondly, I want to ensure the unpitched yeast is still viable for future brews, so I was going to keep some in liquid form in the fridge, and then some in dried flaked form in the freezer.

Here's Gash's video on the topic of drying and harvesting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0U8D3zBsZ4). In case you (or anyone else reading) aren't super knowledgeable on Kveik, this is how it has generally been stored throughout the years in the Norwegian farmhouses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rugbrod said:

Fair call. I have a few reasons.

Firstly, I don't want to overpitch as Kveik works best when underpitched, so I don't want to chuck the whole packet in.

And secondly, I want to ensure the unpitched yeast is still viable for future brews, so I was going to keep some in liquid form in the fridge, and then some in dried flaked form in the freezer.

Here's Gash's video on the topic of drying and harvesting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0U8D3zBsZ4). In case you (or anyone else reading) aren't super knowledgeable on Kveik, this is how it has generally been stored throughout the years in the Norwegian farmhouses.

I need to find out more about this yeast too.  I recently pitched a whole 11.5g packet in a 23L brew.  Was this an over-pitch? Based on the pitching recommendation on the packet, it should have been okay.

Having watched a few videos and read some internet stuff, Voss Kveik is a different beastie.  My usual Otto Von Blotto yeast starter-overbuild regime may not be the way to go.  Oh well, I'll keep reading.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I need to find out more about this yeast too.  I recently pitched a whole 11.5g packet in a 23L brew.  Was this an over-pitch? Based on the pitching recommendation on the packet, it should have been okay.

Having watched a few videos and read some internet stuff, Voss Kveik is a different beastie.  My usual Otto Von Blotto yeast starter-overbuild regime may not be the way to go.  Oh well, I'll keep reading.

Yeah I haven't used it yet to be honest, but almost all the current knowledge is to actually underpitch. The cynic in me says that the packet company would say to pitch the whole thing either way, but I think the whole packet in a full-size brew is the regular pitch. What I've come across online is that underpitching brings out the characteristics that most are after, in terms of flavour etc.

I'm interested to see what folks have to say about my plan. I'll probably bring it to fruition closer to the new year either way.

• Like 1

For mine it is a waste of time and not needed. Just pitch about 1/4 of the pack.  I love the stuff. Totally changed how I brew.  Pretty much my go to yeast now.  I harvested the 2 jars of the 1st pitch I used and must be on generation 15 at least buy now.   But I do need to add I am a pressure fermenter. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

For mine it is a waste of time and not needed. Just pitch about 1/4 of the pack.  I love the stuff. Totally changed how I brew.  Pretty much my go to yeast now.  I harvested the 2 jars of the 1st pitch I used and must be on generation 15 at least buy now.   But I do need to add I am a pressure fermenter. 

Likewise.  I purchased and initially pitched a full packet of MJ's M12 dry Voss and have then collected and used slurry for subsequent batches.  I haven't really paid much attention to pitch rate to be honest though.  With slurry there's no easy way to know how many live cells you're actually chucking in so it's all pretty much guess work really.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rugbrod said:

@MartyG1525230263 and @BlackSands, thanks for the insights.

I reckon things will be much easier if I just do a full 23L brew with the whole packet and then just go ahead and harvest from that once it finishes up.

Cheers!

Still only need about half of the stuff. Need to remember with Kveik you play by a whole different set of rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Still only need about half of the stuff. Need to remember with Kveik you play by a whole different set of rules. 

Right, so that is why I was saying maybe it’s better to pitch it into a starter, but now I realise that a starter is even smaller hahaha. 

New plan is to do a few batches then all at once. See how it goes. 

11 hours ago, rugbrod said:

Right, so that is why I was saying maybe it’s better to pitch it into a starter,

The needing a starter with Kveik is not really needed either just do your batch the size you want and pitch some.  You are seriously over thinking this. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

In the last 2 years we all learned a lot about kveik. Hopefully all the underpitching talk has stopped.

Compared to beer you dont " underpour" a glass of whiskey. Its a different drink, you simply pour the correct amount of whiskey ( which happens to be far less)

Pitching the correct amount of kveik isn't underpitching , its just pitching . 

Buy an 11g pack of kveik, use one third which is plenty to do a brew, harvest that and reuse approx 10 times.  Then go back to the packet. You can easily run 30 brews with 1 pack of boss kveik.

I have a kveik that i kept in fridge for 6 months over winter and this summer its producing BETTER beers than straight from the pack. I do wake it up before pitching, i put a splash into about 200ml of lukewarm water in a glass with a pinch of sugar  and give it an hour or 2 before pitching   ...but thats it 

Edited by BreweyMcHops
  • Like 2

I just made 2 brews using kveik from a previous brew that was back at start of Dec. I simply divided the slurry into 2 in jars and stuck it in the fridge - was going to wash it and collect but things...

Made a starter with one using some sugar then poured back & forth to mix them - lucky I sat the jars in trays because a couple of hours later the krausen was coming down the outsides. In the FV fridge at 35° and done & dusted in 2 days. CC'd yesterday and finings this AM, just for the halibut. 😄 (they'd actually cleared up well from the CC)

Next brew I'm making a fresh starter so I can start doing a regular batch from it - the 2 I have in have finings and hops so I figure I'd rather have a non-polluted starter so I can be sure of what I'm getting.

4 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I just made 2 brews using kveik from a previous brew that was back at start of Dec. I simply divided the slurry into 2 in jars and stuck it in the fridge - was going to wash it and collect but things...

Made a starter with one using some sugar then poured back & forth to mix them - lucky I sat the jars in trays because a couple of hours later the krausen was coming down the outsides. In the FV fridge at 35° and done & dusted in 2 days. CC'd yesterday and finings this AM, just for the halibut. 😄 (they'd actually cleared up well from the CC)

Next brew I'm making a fresh starter so I can start doing a regular batch from it - the 2 I have in have finings and hops so I figure I'd rather have a non-polluted starter so I can be sure of what I'm getting.

The photo of the Pale Ale I posted yesterday was brewed with Kveik at ambient temp. I just sprinkled it but the beer was quite clean & clear & tastes good !!