Coopers Community

Should I be happy or mega annoyed?

Marty_G

4 hours ago, Bribie G said:

The Reschs that is popular in NSW is this one, on tap.

I was a Resch's drinker back in the day. I moved from Sydney to the Sunny Coast in the late 80's but by they the taste of Reschs had changed. I became a died in the wool XXXX drinker when I went to the Breaky Creek in 89 and had a session with a mate drinking "the old school XXXX" off the wood. My god what a great easy drinking beer that was.   

Still trying to replicate a Resch's from the 70's. Think the next crack I have with it will use a Kolsch yeast.  After all Edmund Resch was German so a German yeast will probably do the trick. 

• Like 1

The old Reschs brewery is still just outside Lismore - it's now a sawmill, oh what a waste. However you can still just make out the Tooths horse on the ends of the main brewing hall. This was the main supplier of Reschs and Tooths to the Northern half of the state but got closed down when CUB bought Power's at Yatala and they concentrated their production there, and in Abbotsford. Old guy I met when visiting someone in a retirement home, used to work there and said their main output was Reschs, they did all the canning there as well and would donate mis-printed cans to the local cricket and footy clubs!!

223724771_toothstuncester.jpg.ab64eb5b7466a3213884ca2c5535fe12.jpg

Edit:  CUB brewer on another forum told me that the amber colour of Reschs Draught comes from a wee touch of Joe White (not UK) roasted barley.

Edited by Bribie G
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bribie G said:

CUB brewer on another forum told me that the amber colour of Reschs Draught comes from a wee touch of Joe White (not UK) roasted barley.

Thanks I have been using Caraaroma but I will grab Roasted and see how it goes.  I have been using the hop schedules from the old DA and XXX recipe in Bronzed Brews to get the bitterness and flavour.  Just need to get the grist right.  The biggest thing is it is damn near impossible, unless I had the actual recipe, to make an exact copy. Mind you the  through trial and error method is fun.  I have made some damn fine beers doing it.   

• Like 2