Coopers Community

commercial beers head retention

jamiek86

when I read the post about how all aussie lagers use cane sugar to boost abv and save on grain i wondered how some of their head retention is so good. great northern poured in a clean glass even as a midstrength can have a good head on it. are they just dumping heaps of maltodextrin into each batch? it's obviously not coming from the grain.

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

when I read the post about how all aussie lagers use cane sugar to boost abv and save on grain i wondered how some of their head retention is so good. great northern poured in a clean glass even as a midstrength can have a good head on it. are they just dumping heaps of maltodextrin into each batch? it's obviously not coming from the grain.

It’s coming from the grain.

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

They probably use heading agents. I made a XXXX bitter ripoff once and the head retention was shit.

thats what I was getting at i heard that Carlton United are bad for this thats why if drink vb or Carlton draught can feel crook because obviously use sugar to get more abv then added something for head retention was just curious if it was multodextrin or something else.  would  probably have to work there to know but sue your ass off it ever said anything. bloke in USA got sacked by Budweiser for telling everyone they put 30ml of water in each bottle before filled it to make last longer. commercial European beers usually hold less head too so obviously not using it due to purity law.

Edited by jamiek86

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think it's propylene glycol. Or at least made from it

In the beer or in the cooling system?

Propylene Glycol Alginate is a thickening agent which could be used. Do beers have to list all the ingredients?

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

In the beer or in the cooling system?

Propylene Glycol Alginate is a thickening agent which could be used. Do beers have to list all the ingredients?

probably not in this country hence using sugar to cut back on grain then add more things to boost head. it could be seen as an adative in brewing process and not ingredient? they got smart ways to get around it. not really a big deal but a curiosity i had since on a hot day until I get my brew stocks up I start of with a couple of great northern and noticed compared to xxxx it pours a nice head. maby they do it as say and brew for full flavour but maby not.

• 1 month later...

Im not sure where this amazing head is coming from. Or most barmaids that pour me a VB dont know how to pour. All my home brew beers are amazingly good with a head and retention.

What you get in a pub or from the bottlo is not beer. Its a sad rendition of what they think beer is. 

20 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Im not sure where this amazing head is coming from. Or most barmaids that pour me a VB dont know how to pour. All my home brew beers are amazingly good with a head and retention.

What you get in a pub or from the bottlo is not beer. Its a sad rendition of what they think beer is. 

20 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Also a good glass helps with any beer.

thats why pubs mostly use headmaster glasses now as they add more sugar to the recepie. most pubs will have the beer coming out too cold also which makes harder to pour head on a beer. you are right about glass though I really like s handle glass but the ones I have pour crap heads. a carlton draught glass I have keeps a better head than my headmaster glass go figure. I have used it to pour a better head of great Northern midstrength than one of my 5% home brews with all malt. thats where they put the stuff in it. I have poured xxxx into same glass and almost nothing so they obviously have a more watery recepie and dont use as much of that stuff

• Like 1