Coopers Community

Using cold water in beer extracts

Klosey

I am considering doing a Deuce Lager and it interested me that the brewing instructions recommend normal water when mixing the extract tins. I have always used boiled water to mix the wort before adding water including washing out the tins with boiled water as well to extract all the ingredients.  Also what interested me was adding a steeped hop 10 days in fermentation. So I am guessing that this brew wouldn’t be too bitter? Has anyone done this recipe and I would be interested in your thoughts. Also 1/2 cup of lime juice brings me out of my comfort zone lol.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, Klosey said:

I am considering doing a Deuce Lager and it interested me that the brewing instructions recommend normal water when mixing the extract tins. I have always used boiled water to mix the wort before adding water including washing out the tins with boiled water as well to extract all the ingredients.  Also what interested me was adding a steeped hop 10 days in fermentation. So I am guessing that this brew wouldn’t be too bitter? Has anyone done this recipe and I would be interested in your thoughts. Also 1/2 cup of lime juice brings me out of my comfort zone lol.

I am not sure why they would say "not hot" water.  I use at least hot water, if not out of the kettle, for the initial mixing and rinsing of the cans, like you describe.  They say not to boil what's in the extract cans because it can darken the colour.  However, a few moments in hot or boiling water for mixing should not have this effect.

The hop steep at 10 days should not add any bitterness (that you would notice).  Mostly flavour and aroma.  Sanitise the equipment you use to do the steep and you should be fine.

If you are worried about the lime juice addition, just leave it out.  You could maybe heat it to say 80°C to pasteurise it and kill most potential bugs, if that is your concern with using the juice.

I would also let the hop steep and the juice cool to room temperature before adding it.

• Like 1