Coopers Community

First time cleaning newbie question

Fiddlestix

6 hours ago, Fiddlestix said:

Hi all can I have a idea of how to clean my fermenter after bottling and what’s steps needed as I want to go straight into another brew. I have my first one on the go now. Will bottle in a few more days. 

If its a plastic fermenter use a soft cloth (nothing that could scratch the surface). The tuffest part is where the krausen formed, as it tends to dry and go hard. You could use a pressure washer on this area but generally its elbow grease.

I would clean the fermenting vessel whit PBW (power Brewery wash) 5 min is enought no scrubbing nessery and rinse good in water.

In sweden we have a copy of starsan, sanipro rinse that i use for sanitation.

It is nessecerly to both clean and sanitate the vessel.

For lighter clean i use Chemipro oxi, it is a combosolution who both clean and sanitat the vessel. And it is a norinse chemical, very handy to use.

i've only started a few months ago but on my 14th batch at the moment. I think all but two occasions i've bottled in the morning and made my next batch in the afternoon. i'm using coles or safeway homebrand napisan like @Mickep has posted above for my cleaning purposes, it's cheap and effective. the active ingredient you're looking for is "sodium percarbonate". mix it in with hot water, use a lint free cleaning cloth and give it a good cleanout. I tend to give it a couple of washes and also then soak it above the tap level for an hour or so. then some good rinses and starsan/stellarsan becomes your friend for the sanitising part. a lot of reading of this forum and viewings on youtube and i settled on that routine and no drama so far.

• Thanks 1

https://beerliever.com/bleach-no-rinse-sanitiser-home-brewing-beer/

I found the above and have noticed a lot of people swear by it. I checked and noticed we already have white vineger and bleach at home so will never need to buy sanatizer as already have a no rinse one here. The Ausrtraline measurements are as follows and also in the comments of that article link:
20 litres water
40mL (2x tablespoons) 4.2% bleach (eg. homebrand)
40mL (2x tablespoons) vinegar

I am yet to try it but will be this coming batch that I'm putting together.

The active ingredient of nearly all the napisan clones is Sodium Percarbonate, usually only about 40%. You can get the pure stuff from some home brew suppliers.

Sodium Percarbonate is basically washing soda with extra oxygen attached so it's basically a solid hydrogen peroxide, i.e. oxygen bleach, and will eat most organic stuff like bugs and baby shyte (which is why it was in nappy sanitisers in the old cloth days),

Sodium Carbonate is not a bleach. You may see it in supermarkets but it's not "active".

When I started off I used chlorine bleach. Works ok but it is very sticky and can take quite a few rinses to get rid of the chlorine smell which can taint beer.

Occasionally I'd like to give the FV a good sanitising hit. Up until now, I've used a spray bottle of Morgan's Sanitize solution to sanitise it  before brewing.

However, I've had a couple of batches that might have been a bit compromised, I don't know.

I've seen on here that people have recommended 'non-scented' bleach. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding any (I haven't tried that hard yet, only Aldi and Woolworths). The ones I've looked at all seem to have lemon or lavender scent in them.

Having not tried the scented version, I would have thought that the lemon scent was the least of the problems, the chlorine smell being the biggest one.

Nevertheless if I could buy some un-scented bleach I would do so.

Any recommendations?

PS I clean the bottles with Aldi Di-San Oxy Sensitive and sanitise by filling and refilling them with Morgan's Sanitize solution before draining and filling with beer.

Edited by DonPolo

1 hour ago, DonPolo said:

Occasionally I'd like to give the FV a good sanitising hit. Up until now, I've used a spray bottle of Morgan's Sanitize solution to sanitise it  before brewing.

However, I've had a couple of batches that might have been a bit compromised, I don't know.

I've seen on here that people have recommended 'non-scented' bleach. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding any (I haven't tried that hard yet, only Aldi and Woolworths). The ones I've looked at all seem to have lemon or lavender scent in them.

Having not tried the scented version, I would have thought that the lemon scent was the least of the problems, the chlorine smell being the biggest one.

Nevertheless if I could buy some un-scented bleach I would do so.

Any recommendations?

PS I clean the bottles with Aldi Di-San Oxy Sensitive and sanitise by filling and refilling them with Morgan's Sanitize solution before draining and filling with beer.

E19C2071-F2BA-4479-B316-092E07BA7241.png

On 11/6/2020 at 10:32 AM, Mickep said:

The guys here got me onto these rippers. Try them out. They are easy products to use. No rinse sanitizer and a washing rinse made from a Nappy San type product.

StellarSan-500ml.jpg

I wish I'd known you only use 1.5mls per litre before I bought 3 bottles of this.  I should have enough to last me two lifetimes. Oh well, I guess it's another thing I can leave to my kids in my will. 😄 

• Haha 1