Coopers Community

My First Coopers Lager

Brew Bro

On 11/2/2020 at 1:43 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Welcome back and welcome aboard Jamie !!  ; )

I have brewed a few Lagers and Pilseners in my time - mostly cooler temps - and must say I don't always get that rotten egg smell that often - think once or twice - but normally not... mostly been using W34/70...  doing a di-acetyl rest as well... then cool back down to cleanup... 

Brewed Euro and GC and cannot remember bad smells - but cannot remember whether did with W34/70 or the tin yeast - or both... was a little while ago and have since skipped off to join the mighty ship HMAS AllGrainer ; )

@Otto Von Blotto Kelsey you brew a few nice Pilseners mate - do you get the rotten egg smell often?  I must say I have not experienced it that regularly but read and heard people talking of it...

Almost every batch. It may depend on the yeast strain though, I think some are worse for it than others 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I am putting this out there for all the Lager Brewing Guns - but I don't reckon that a good Lager or Pils has to go through an Eggy Aroma Phase... reckon I might have detected it something like 1 in a dozen cold lager/pils brews?

Be very happy to be educated otherwise... 

Hey BB, I’ve brewed a few lagers, most recent was a European Lager with some wheat spray malt ( wasn’t liquid this time ) turned it into a German style lager, fermented @12 degrees, no eggy aroma to speak off, goes down nicely on a hot Qld day by the pool, will do this one again. Not really a lager man, prefer Pale Ales but this lager is nice, good lawn mowing beer as Criagtube says.

🍺🍺🍻🍻

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 7:16 PM, MUZZY said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I did get egg odours from one of my lager ferments (can't remember what it was) but I've probably only done 6 to 8 lagers. I'm far from an expert and far too impatient to be a "lager gun".  I usually ferment them at around 14/15C because I can't wait two weeks or more for them to finish at lower temps. 😉 

what's everyone's favourite temp controllers? just a plug fridge into it one with thermometer and no wiring

Edited by jamiek86

3 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

no worries thanks will look into it my local brew store only have w33 lager yeast not w34/70 and some Swiss one forget number on it.

inky seem good... but others are prolly ok... filthy stinking capitalist pigs amazon sell and ship them cheaply - but am not suggesting you do that... i am in boonies and it worked for me...  and I think @MUZZY Muzzy is there not some dodgy yeast supplier that ships dried yeast nil postage.... there was some thread on here somewhere?

mate @jamiek86 JK don't fkkk with that other stuff... get onto the real thing first up.... will be helpful... you can always try the other stuff later - do yourself a favour and start with W34/70 if you wanna do lagers german style....

image.png.706ba86a0c5d9df80ea80346cb97cfaa.png

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Can't even remember when I bought the smack pack

Kelsey do you just harvest slurry and revitalise - or do you have a strain ongoing that you cultured originally from the smackpack and just keep that going - which does not get involved in any action in an FV?

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Kelsey do you just harvest slurry and revitalise - or do you have a strain ongoing that you cultured originally from the smackpack and just keep that going - which does not get involved in any action in an FV?

Sort of the latter, I harvest from starters and reuse it that way so yes the yeast grown in the starters never sees the fermenter, well the harvested portion doesn't. Obviously the main portion does 😂 I just overbuild them and take the excess to use in the next one. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

and I think @MUZZY Muzzy is there not some dodgy yeast supplier that ships dried yeast nil postage.... there was some thread on here somewhere? 

You're probably thinking of cheapyeast.com.au but I've never bought yeast. Only used kit yeasts and reactivated Coopers Pale Ale yeast from the stubbies.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 12:11 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

inky seem good... but others are prolly ok... filthy stinking capitalist pigs amazon sell and ship them cheaply - but am not suggesting you do that... i am in boonies and it worked for me...  and I think @MUZZY Muzzy is there not some dodgy yeast supplier that ships dried yeast nil postage.... there was some thread on here somewhere?

mate @jamiek86 JK don't fkkk with that other stuff... get onto the real thing first up.... will be helpful... you can always try the other stuff later - do yourself a favour and start with W34/70 if you wanna do lagers german style....

image.png.706ba86a0c5d9df80ea80346cb97cfaa.png

so does this inkbird have a spot where fridge plugs into it or needs to be wired into fridge?

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It's up to you but you don't really need one for carbonating. 

so not matter too much if lager beer carbonates in heat over 30 degrees in dark room? not yet but coming into summer only place put it has no cooling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

so not matter too much if lager beer carbonates in heat over 30 degrees in dark room? not yet but coming into summer only place put it has no cooling

Oh, I didn't know it would get that hot. I'm not sure how it would fare at those temps. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us. I know true lagering requires cool temps but it will still be good beer at warmer temps. However over 30C for sustained periods might prove differently but I really don't know.

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Oh, I didn't know it would get that hot. I'm not sure how it would fare at those temps. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us. I know true lagering requires cool temps but it will still be good beer at warmer temps. However over 30C for sustained periods might prove differently but I really don't know.

no worries the last time I brewed I only done original series using ale yeast so it wasn't a problem. I've got a bit of time before it will always be that hot in the room so I might have to find a second fridge to set at 17 and keep them in that for first 3 weeks or so

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:55 PM, jamiek86 said:

what's everyone's favourite temp controllers? just a plug fridge into it one with thermometer and no wiring

I have 2 x Inkbirds & 1 Mangrove Jacks Temp controllers,  both work fine and do the same job, Inkbird probably a little more accurate.

When one packs it in I’ll go for the Wi Fi 308 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I have 2 x Inkbirds & 1 Mangrove Jacks Temp controllers,  both work fine and do the same job, Inkbird probably a little more accurate.

When one packs it in I’ll go for the Wi Fi 308 

I just ordered normal 308 I figure if set it should do what u want. does the wifi one let u check it from your phone or something if at work?

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah mate it does, check from anywhere you are.

Mmmm ha ha as long as it is on the local network?! 

Not much use if you canna get it on the local network or if you got no phone coverage?