Coopers Community

My First Coopers Lager

Brew Bro

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

Okay BB , thanks mate. Great stuff. Got a few different size brew bags from a place called Triple J brewing. I think one of them will suffice for the boil. It says its food grade. Thanks so much for all your help. 

Large paint strainer bags from Bunnings do the trick for me.

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I used one of these yesterday to see how I go. Instead putting each hop addition into a separate bag, I just added them into the bag when needed. Worked fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Jamie, the Golden Crown Lager definitely comes with a lager yeast. So brew around 12C if you can.

PS PB2 retired, gee, it must be nearly a year ago.  He was a great source of knowledge and support on the Forum.  @Coopers DIY Beer Team have taken on his role.  Not sure if the "Team" is just one person or not.  They provide a good level of support.  Look out for their posts.

ok thanks for the info wish I joined before brewed my first 3 batches but I'm sure they will be drinkable I thought pb2 would be like 007 and always be there even if different people played the role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Muzzy,

Have you had a crack at either the Coopers Euro Lager or the Thomas Cooper Gold crown? I'm looking for a new Lager to try above and beyond the OS Coopers lager I've been using. TIA

I've made the European lager. Very nice. I used the very simple Green Neck Lager recipe.

I'm currently fermenting a Gold Crown Lager but it's my first try with this tin. I've got two FV going. One with BE3 and the other with liquid light malt.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

hello muzzy I never noticed the rotten egg smell with golden crown lager unless lots changed in past few years since I brewed isn't this the case with lager yeast?

Hi Jamie. I'm currently doing my first Gold Crown Lager. I haven't noticed the egg smell either but I can't say I've had a good sniff yet either.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've made the European lager. Very nice. I used the very simple Green Neck Lager recipe.

I'm currently fermenting a Gold Crown Lager but it's my first try with this tin. I've got two FV going. One with BE3 and the other with liquid light malt.

thanks for your help please let me know if the one with light liquid malt comes out any good I've only ever used light dry malt and I might do euro lager again to see if get egg smell maby yeasts evolved and no longer get it

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Golden Crown Lager definitely comes with a lager yeast. So brew around 12C if you can.

Yeah as Shamus says @jamiek86 Jamie better cooler - I reckon you can get away with 15-17 with W34/70 - dunno what GC is... but cooler is better - maybe consider brewing your Lagers and Pilsners in Winter and then the Ales in Summer.... unless of course you are in Darwin.... anyway - yer back brewing again and that is a beautiful thing...

Edited by Bearded Burbler

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

They are probably ok Shamus and @Aussiekraut but I am a bit keener on getting food grade product so you know it is going to be heat stable and you are not thereby introducing any spurious unwanted compounds into your brew at these higher temperatures.  I cannot say that paint bags are good or bad - but I don't know whether they are food grade and heat stable?

I have a good mate who is a skilled chemical engineer working in potable water and wastewater who got me into brewing 30 years ago and he prefers stainless, pyrex or ceramic... and does not like plastic compounds to be near his beer... 

I am happy with my Coopers Plazzi FV, my food grade nylon heat stable mesh BIAB or Hop bags and Si heat stable hose.... but brewing in SS basket is good and I should brew more in my SS FV too but you cannot see through the walls that well 😝

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah as Shamus says @jamiek86 Jamie better cooler - I reckon you can get away with 15-17 with W34/70 - dunno what GC is... but cooler is better - maybe consider brewing your Lagers and Pilsners in Winter and then the Ales in Summer.... unless of course you are in Darwin.... anyway - yer back brewing again and that is a beautiful thing...

GC was meant to be Golden Crown someone else already used it before. the only option I.have with a brew fridge is to put it outside i fear this with upcoming summer would mean it would be turning on all the time. I also only have a controller with a minimum of 16 degrees maby I can set at 16 and put frozen ice blocks in brew fridge? the one who thinks boss says if fridge comes inside she will cut cord. still have 23 years left on mortgage not sure if worth the argument 😜

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

hello all I've only just got into brewing again after years absent. there used to be a spot on this web page that said what yeasts were used in tins. Coopers golden crown lager has true lager yeast? didn't notice the rotten egg smell when brewed and bottled this last month or is it a half/ half? what about TC 86 days pilsner thats my next planned brew.

What yeast in what can

apologies if someone else has replied to the yeast question.

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

What yeast in what can

apologies if someone else has replied to the yeast question.

This information is also on the Brewing Support page under Product Info, FAQ. Unfortunately there's no description for what yeast is included with Gold Crown Lager. I think we can assume it's a lager yeast but it's not mentioned. @jamiek86 said he could detect no egg smell when he brewed it. I've just been out to my current GCL ferment and I couldn't detect any egginess either. However it is happily bubbling away at 15C so that suggests it is a yeast that works at lower temps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

the only option I.have with a brew fridge is to put it outside i fear this with upcoming summer would mean it would be turning on all the time. I also only have a controller with a minimum of 16 degrees maby I can set at 16 and put frozen ice blocks in brew fridge? the one who thinks boss says if fridge comes inside she will cut cord. still have 23 years left on mortgage not sure if worth the argument

Perhaps build a shelter around the fridge to shade it? Even something like a sleeping bag could help.

Maybe get her to start drinking beer - when SWMBO discovered (after 13 years of trying to get her to drink commercial beers) that hse liked home brew, things got a LOT simpler for me. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Perhaps build a shelter around the fridge to shade it? Even something like a sleeping bag could help.

Maybe get her to start drinking beer - when SWMBO discovered (after 13 years of trying to get her to drink commercial beers) that hse liked home brew, things got a LOT simpler for me. 😄

she drinks vb have to admit its not my first choice but don't say no to one if offered. I was thinking of putting it in an old tin shed near the house that would stop the direct sunlight but I would then have to run a 20m extension cord from nearest outside point and then bottle in a hot shed. would she have won then? I have alot of research to do about brewing methods and females.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

GC was meant to be Golden Crown someone else already used it before.

"dunno what GC is" =>

Yes that was me ha ha who used the acronym "GC" - nargh what I meant was - I dunno what YEAST GC is - apologies about the confusion...   you see I reckon you could get away with W34/70 at 16 degC... at least would be worth a trial run.... and if cooling is a challenge - why not brew festive ales for the summer and go back to Lagers/Pils in the winter?

But I think meself many Ales are best done at 18 deg C so you might be in strife yet again?

Kveik Farmhouse Yeast in a Pressure Fermentation Vessel?

If you could go the extra mile to a Pressure FV you can brew Lagers at warmer temps - though I will say that Pressure FVs can be a PITA too... apologies all you PFV lovers.

Edited by Bearded Burbler

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've just been out to my current GCL ferment and I couldn't detect any egginess either

I am putting this out there for all the Lager Brewing Guns - but I don't reckon that a good Lager or Pils has to go through an Eggy Aroma Phase... reckon I might have detected it something like 1 in a dozen cold lager/pils brews?

Be very happy to be educated otherwise... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I have alot of research to do about brewing methods and females.

Maybe if you went All Grain she might be more interested ?!  

(mmmm that would be nice but wouldn't hold me breath... just speaking from experience meh meh)

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

she drinks vb have to admit its not my first choice but don't say no to one if offered. I was thinking of putting it in an old tin shed near the house that would stop the direct sunlight but I would then have to run a 20m extension cord from nearest outside point and then bottle in a hot shed. would she have won then? I have alot of research to do about brewing methods and females.

They always win. Even if you think you've won, you haven't really 😂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

"dunno what GC is" =>

Yes that was me ha ha who used the acronym "GC" - nargh what I meant was - I dunno what YEAST GC is - apologies about the confusion...   you see I reckon you could get away with W34/70 at 16 degC... at least would be worth a trial run.... and if cooling is a challenge - why not brew festive ales for the summer and go back to Lagers/Pils in the winter?

But I think meself many Ales are best done at 18 deg C so you might be in strife yet again?

Kveik Farmhouse Yeast in a Pressure Fermentation Vessel?

If you could go the extra mile to a Pressure FV you can brew Lagers at warmer temps - though I will say that Pressure FVs can be a PITA too... apologies all you PFV lovers.

I decided I dont care what the female in the house says, she tried to tell me last night I couldn't run an extension cord to shed. so my plans tomorrow going to bunnings for a big extension cord and going to run piping along frame of undercover area to shed to keep cord weather proof. my current temp controller only goes to 16 so I'll run it on that and add frozen 1.25 litre bottles to fridge to stop it over working until get new temp controller.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Maybe if you went All Grain she might be more interested ?!  

(mmmm that would be nice but wouldn't hold me breath... just speaking from experience meh 

I might occasionally do an already made all grain worth to save all the time and equipment but happier tweaking kits for now

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I decided I dont care what the female in the house says, she tried to tell me last night I couldn't run an extension cord to shed. so my plans tomorrow going to bunnings for a big extension cord and going to run piping along frame of undercover area to shed to keep cord weather proof. my current temp controller only goes to 16 so I'll run it on that and add frozen 1.25 litre bottles to fridge to stop it over working until get new temp controller.

Mate you are a solutions man JK - good stuff - and also great having it protected in the piping re safety... probably just make sure all your switchboard safety switches etc are gold.. and ensure that the lead is all secure and out of harms way re slips trips and falls... @Red devil 44 Red and @iBooz2 Boozer seem to be pretty handy fellas with the practicals...  any advice Red or Boozer running leads for fridges?

If the Fridgie-Didge then is located in clean shed undercover... maybe just leave the door open some of the time on the v hot days to ventilate to give the fridge a chance to keep cooling...  Guess too if you were keen you could insulate the tin shed to reduce the incoming heat load... but that is more effort... amazing what good insulation can achieve though. 

I reckon mate if you can crack 16 degC you can brew pretty reasonable Lager with W34/70 and great Ales at 18... 

And sliding in a FWK from time to time is a nice idea as well... 

Hope it all goes well mate.

34 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate you are a solutions man JK - good stuff - and also great having it protected in the piping re safety... probably just make sure all your switchboard safety switches etc are gold.. and ensure that the lead is all secure and out of harms way re slips trips and falls... @Red devil 44 Red and @iBooz2 Boozer seem to be pretty handy fellas with the practicals...  any advice Red or Boozer running leads for fridges?

If the Fridgie-Didge then is located in clean shed undercover... maybe just leave the door open some of the time on the v hot days to ventilate to give the fridge a chance to keep cooling...  Guess too if you were keen you could insulate the tin shed to reduce the incoming heat load... but that is more effort... amazing what good insulation can achieve though. 

I reckon mate if you can crack 16 degC you can brew pretty reasonable Lager with W34/70 and great Ales at 18... 

And sliding in a FWK from time to time is a nice idea as well... 

Hope it all goes well mate.

yes I've got my cousin helping not a sparky but knows all the ways to do things and power boards with safety switches etc. the piping was his idea I was just going to suspend the cord with picture hooks around frame. its an old shed with half meter gaps between doors and roof so already gets air flow and I've been in and checked every few hours during day no direct sunlight so hopefully ideal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

yes I've got my cousin helping not a sparky but knows all the ways to do things and power boards with safety switches etc. the piping was his idea I was just going to suspend the cord with picture hooks around frame. its an old shed with half meter gaps between doors and roof so already gets air flow and I've been in and checked every few hours during day no direct sunlight so hopefully ideal. 

Good stuff mate safety first.

And plenty of ventilation.

Well done - hope it goes well.

In general is good to keep everything as clean as possible around and about - within reason - and if you keep the fridge dust and dirt free and go in and out of the safely should be grand.

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I am putting this out there for all the Lager Brewing Guns - but I don't reckon that a good Lager or Pils has to go through an Eggy Aroma Phase... reckon I might have detected it something like 1 in a dozen cold lager/pils brews?

Be very happy to be educated otherwise... 

Your guess is as good as mine. I did get egg odours from one of my lager ferments (can't remember what it was) but I've probably only done 6 to 8 lagers. I'm far from an expert and far too impatient to be a "lager gun".  I usually ferment them at around 14/15C because I can't wait two weeks or more for them to finish at lower temps. 😉 

• Like 1