Coopers Community

Was going to brew, but then THIS interrupted me!

Fergy1987

2 hours ago, Dozer71 said:

Queensland - beatiful one day, destructive the next.

That sucks Fergy, missing out on a brew day. Insurance (i hope so) will cover the rest.

Yep got an insurance claim in. But I'm a pretty new home owner so don't really know how it all works so a little stressed out at the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 9:02 PM, Fergy1987 said:

Yep got an insurance claim in. But I'm a pretty new home owner so don't really know how it all works so a little stressed out at the moment.

This kind of thing is stressful even for older home owners. Being one myself I'd like to offer my sage advice. Some insurance companies can be evasive and seemingly reluctant to pay for repairs.
Try not to waste your time on the phone on hold. I'm sure this is one of their techniques to see if you'll just throw your hands up in the air and go away because it's all too hard.
Put as much contact with as you can in writing ie. email and/or text message. This way you have a record of all exchanges.
Message them frequently if nothing is happening for you. The squeaky wheel gets oiled first.
You posted this two weeks ago, with any luck your damage is getting fixed already.

Edited by MUZZY

18 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

This kind of thing is stressful even for older home owners. Being one myself I'd like to offer my sage advice. Some insurance companies can be evasive and seemingly reluctant to pay for repairs.
Try not to waste your time on the phone on hold. I'm sure this is one of their techniques to see if you'll just throw your hands up in the air and go away because it's all too hard.
Put as much contact with as you can in writing ie. email and/or text message. This way you have a record of all exchanges.
Message them frequently if nothing is happening for you. The squeaky wheel gets oiled first.
You posted this two weeks ago, with any luck your damage is getting fixed already.

Thanks for the advice mate 🙂 - Unfortunately 2 weeks in and nothing has happened. Granted a lot of people in the area had their roof cave in, so I'm more than happy for their repairs to be done first. I finally have an assessor coming out on Wednesday so that should hopefully get the wheels in motion.

14 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

Thanks for the advice mate 🙂 - Unfortunately 2 weeks in and nothing has happened. Granted a lot of people in the area had their roof cave in, so I'm more than happy for their repairs to be done first. I finally have an assessor coming out on Wednesday so that should hopefully get the wheels in motion.

Yeah you're in a situation where they'll be inundated with claims so I guess you need to give them a little grace. However, I made a claim a few years ago, the assessor came out within a day or two. Then nothing for 4 months, until I started rattling the cage. I got a good outcome in the end but I had to agitate them into action to get it.
Good luck with it all, Fergy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, MUZZY said:

@Fergy1987 I hope you've been getting some action on your repairs and it hasn't been too stressful on you.

Cheers mate, Finally got the assessor out and an estimate of repairs hitting 65K+  which was a hell of a lot more than I expected. Turns out the whole roof needs to come off, all the guttering. Fun times ahead. I'm glad its just cosmetic and not structural damage.

I dont think they'll be starting anything until after Christmas now. Might get the scaffolding up but that will probably be it.

People have it a lot worse in life so although its an inconvenience I don't want, it's just a matter of waiting it out until its sorted now. Plus I can still brew and smash down some home brew during summer so all is right in the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

Cheers mate, Finally got the assessor out and an estimate of repairs hitting 65K+  which was a hell of a lot more than I expected. Turns out the whole roof needs to come off, all the guttering. Fun times ahead. I'm glad its just cosmetic and not structural damage.

I dont think they'll be starting anything until after Christmas now. Might get the scaffolding up but that will probably be it.

People have it a lot worse in life so although its an inconvenience I don't want, it's just a matter of waiting it out until its sorted now. Plus I can still brew and smash down some home brew during summer so all is right in the world.

You have a very positive outlook, mate. As you said things could be worse but it appears things are happening for you in regards to the repairs, albeit slowly.
Fingers crossed you stay dry in the meantime. All the best.

• Like 1