Coopers Community

Brew enhancer query

maxAU

Good morning all,

This weekend I'll be starting this guy and I've got a query re: the brew enhancer. It asks for 600g, but my local brew shop sells in 500g or 1kg pouches - I bought a 1kg and I'm wondering how best to separate the 600g to ensure I don't wreck the entire brew.

I am guessing I should clean some scales thoroughly to weight it out - do I need to sanitise them as well? I'll be sanitising all my kit anyway so it won't really be any hassle. Just checking to see if I'm over (or maybe under?) thinking it.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, maxAU said:

Good morning all,

This weekend I'll be starting this guy and I've got a query re: the brew enhancer. It asks for 600g, but my local brew shop sells in 500g or 1kg pouches - I bought a 1kg and I'm wondering how best to separate the 600g to ensure I don't wreck the entire brew.

I am guessing I should clean some scales thoroughly to weight it out - do I need to sanitise them as well? I'll be sanitising all my kit anyway so it won't really be any hassle. Just checking to see if I'm over (or maybe under?) thinking it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Just sanitise a bowl big enough to hold the 600g and Robert is your father's brother as they say. And as Muzzy said, you mix it into boiling water, so that'll take care of any nasties. 

• Like 1

@maxAU, Do they mean liquid or dry enhancer?  I did a different one of their pouches a while ago.  It called for 500g of liquid enhancer.  I had bought a 1kg pouch.  I just cleaned and sanitised a stainless steel mixing bowl from the kitchen.  Measured out 500g into the bowl.  Poured as much as I could into the fermenter.  Then rinsed out the bowl with hot tap water a few times until the liquid enhancer was all rinsed into the fermenter.

If it is dry enhancer, like Muzzy says, just use a clean dry bowl to weigh it in.  I generally do not sanitise containers for dry ingredients.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

Yeah, probably not critical as Muzzy said, but I would just tip it into the fermenter bit by bit and keep putting the bag back on the scales until there is 400g remaining. 

... that's genius! Why didn't I think of that?!

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@maxAU, Do they mean liquid or dry enhancer?  I did a different one of their pouches a while ago.  It called for 500g of liquid enhancer. 

Hey mate, thanks for the heads up - I've checked the instructions and I'm good to go with what I've got, luckily 🙂

1 hour ago, maxAU said:

It asks for 600g, but my local brew shop sells in 500g or 1kg pouches - I bought a 1kg and I'm wondering how best to separate the 600g to ensure I don't wreck the entire brew.

Apart from making it a bit stronger I doubt very much it will wreck anything to put the entire 1kg in there. 😄 Depending which BE it is, you might get a bit more body or maybe just a higher ABV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Apart from making it a bit stronger I doubt very much it will wreck anything to put the entire 1kg in there. 😄 Depending which BE it is, you might get a bit more body or maybe just a higher ABV.

Thanks! I was considering it (in an effort to bump up the ABV a tocuh) but I was worried about messing with the flavour profile too much. The BE is 50% dextrose 50% light malt