Coopers Community

Kirin shuts West End Brewery, Adelaide.

Malter White

3 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I also prefer to get sex out of the way really fast for the purpose of having more time to brew and drink brew 😉

I have a friend who likes to brag about his staying ability. Calls himself a marathon man. I told him sprinters win gold medals too, you know. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have a Pod machine, various Percolators which are all great but out of habit I still seem to boil the kettle first thing in the morning & have a good old International Roast instant or 3.

Yes, the others are better but instant is quicker, a bit like extract brewing I guess. 

I wear contacts, so I'll set up the plunger with coffee and boiled water then go put them in, by the time I'm done it's ready for the cup. 👍

The only reason I have it at all was because I picked a bunch of beans off the olds coffee tree, and dad gave me the plunger to use them in. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

4 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I also brew extract with added malt and hops instead of dextrose and believe tast better than mega swill out of my keggerator. I also prefer to get sex out of the way really fast for the purpose of having more time to brew and drink brew 😉

At least you have the opportunity...😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

not that much thats why I brew and drink

Still better than the complete nothing I get lol. I'm not expecting much different though being that I live alone and don't get out much (not that there's much point at the moment). But yeah, I pretty much brew, drink and watch footy, and smoke meats. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wear contacts, so I'll set up the plunger with coffee and boiled water then go put them in, by the time I'm done it's ready for the cup. 👍

The only reason I have it at all was because I picked a bunch of beans off the olds coffee tree, and dad gave me the plunger to use them in. 

Yeah I have a couple of plungers, I keep forgetting about them, I must admit the smell of fresh coffee does get you going in the morning. Tastes a whole lot better too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Still better than the complete nothing I get lol. I'm not expecting much different though being that I live alone and don't get out much (not that there's much point at the moment). But yeah, I pretty much brew, drink and watch footy, and smoke meats. 

salamis and stuff? home made ones good

Nothing wrong with that @Otto Von Blotto  ..i give the footy a miss but ..i used to watch holden cars go round n round ..been single now for a while after a 12 year relationship ..now i got the holden car to go round n round in .. finding ya feet rebuildin new memorys ..ya do what ya do and ya do it for you .. Shoulda called myself Icebreakerjack aye 🍻

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Breaktrainjack said:

Nothing wrong with that @Otto Von Blotto  ..i give the footy a miss but ..i used to watch holden cars go round n round ..been single now for a while after a 12 year relationship ..now i got the holden car to go round n round in .. finding ya feet rebuildin new memorys ..ya do what ya do and ya do it for you .. Shoulda called myself Icebreakerjack aye 🍻

Yeah I'm enjoying doing my things for now, in a general sense I hate being single but at the moment I'm enjoying it. Today I'll be doing that bacon while I have the footy on kayo on my phone and a few brews. Can't beat that for a Sunday arvo 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I'm enjoying doing my things for now, in a general sense I hate being single but at the moment I'm enjoying it. Today I'll be doing that bacon while I have the footy on kayo on my phone and a few brews. Can't beat that for a Sunday arvo 👍

I have been single for a while now but I have my bachelor pad set up exactly how I want it, main Bar in the lounge/dining. Brew Room/Office Bar with fridge, Outside Bar/BBQ etc

Apart from various displays of Bar Mats, Stubby Holders. Beer Promo gear everywhere, Kitchen set up my way ( I was a cook ) - the list goes on.

The point I am making is apart from being a fan of the fairer sex, I don't see how many/any women would fit into my man cave-house on a permanent basis.

I get plenty of visitors, mates etc coming around for drinks & most say they feel like they are in a pub ! So I enjoy it immensely & don't intend to change any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And if you're happy doing that then that's really all that matters. I've always preferred being in a relationship over not being in one, but there's always that period of time after one ends that I do enjoy not being in one, which I'm going through now. I don't want one again yet, but there will come a time probably in the next 12 months or so when I'll start feeling ready again. 

In the meantime I'm gonna take advantage of being able to do all the things I love to do as often as possible 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hey @Otto Von Blotto  i got out the dehyrdaters and put together some bacon Jerky ..got dryin now ..never done bacon before its my own recipe ..2kg of bacon ..1 cup mapple syrup ..20 good cracks of black pepper ..1 cup of brown sugar ..1/4 cup of sweet chilly ..1 tbsp garlic / 1 table tbsp ginger ..1/8 cup worcestershire sauce .. hoping its gunna be sweet candy baconey strips of goodness ..what recipe do you do

On 7/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, Barramullafella said:

Muzzy if ya have not tried this brand yet then give it a shot. Comes in Mild, medium and strong. 

See the source image

my current coffee i buy for work.. as it's under $4 at one of the supermarkets and goes alright (if you like instant)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breaktrainjack said:

Hey @Otto Von Blotto  i got out the dehyrdaters and put together some bacon Jerky ..got dryin now ..never done bacon before its my own recipe ..2kg of bacon ..1 cup mapple syrup ..20 good cracks of black pepper ..1 cup of brown sugar ..1/4 cup of sweet chilly ..1 tbsp garlic / 1 table tbsp ginger ..1/8 cup worcestershire sauce .. hoping its gunna be sweet candy baconey strips of goodness ..what recipe do you do

I just buy pork loins and cure them myself, then once they're ready they get smoked until they reach about 65-70 degrees internal temperature, usually takes 2-3 hours depending on how big they are. The cure itself is a mixture of salt, sugar and curing salt, quantities vary depending on the weight of the loin. I end up with nice round rashers and it tastes a hell of a lot better than bought stuff. 

On 7/9/2021 at 9:43 PM, MUZZY said:

I have a friend who likes to brag about his staying ability. Calls himself a marathon man. I told him sprinters win gold medals too, you know. 😁

Maybe so, but when it comes to horizontal performances, crossing the finish line with a self-congratulatory "I came FIRST!" tends to get your dropped from future events. 😄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I just buy pork loins and cure them myself, then once they're ready they get smoked until they reach about 65-70 degrees internal temperature, usually takes 2-3 hours depending on how big they are. The cure itself is a mixture of salt, sugar and curing salt, quantities vary depending on the weight of the loin. I end up with nice round rashers and it tastes a hell of a lot better than bought stuff. 

I gotta get me a smoker. 

Am I correct in thinking those with an offset firebox are able to do cold smoked as well as hot? Smoked meats are one thing but I'd really like to do fish and I don't want them cooked. 😄 Or is cold smoked a different set up?

e.g. CM160-030_Charmate%20Grady%20Offset%20BBQ%20Smoker_SML.jpg

Edited by Journeyman

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

I gotta get me a smoker. 

Am I correct in thinking those with an offset firebox are able to do cold smoked as well as hot? Smoked meats are one thing but I'd really like to do fish and I don't want them cooked. 😄

No idea about that, I don't use one but I could probably do cold smoking in my bullet smoker, just by using less charcoal in it. The bacon doesn't really come out cooked as such, it's obviously more cooked than cold smoking it would do but it still tastes uncooked if I don't fry it. 

I use the same smoking method for ham when I make it. Bloody stuff keeps for ages. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I use the same smoking method for ham when I make it. Bloody stuff keeps for ages

That's a part of why I want to smoke my own - I don't understand how come you can get bacon from the shops and it goes off in the fridge within a few days. The whole reason we historically made bacon was for it to keep edible for months over long winters. My grandma used to have it just hanging in the pantry and it never seemed to go off.

I blame planned obsolescence - if we can't keep bacon we have to keep buying it.

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

That's a part of why I want to smoke my own - I don't understand how come you can get bacon from the shops and it goes off in the fridge within a few days. The whole reason we historically made bacon was for it to keep edible for months over long winters. My grandma used to have it just hanging in the pantry and it never seemed to go off.

I blame planned obsolescence - if we can't keep bacon we have to keep buying it.

It's probably because they don't cure it the same way these days, it's pretty much just injected with whatever they use and that's it, not so much about having to keep buying it all the time but more about reducing the turnaround time and costs to produce it I suppose. It usually takes about 3 weeks for the brine to properly soak through the meat when I make mine. I could reduce this by injecting it in a few spots over the piece but meh. 

• Like 1

Wow! Look what happened there! A brewery closed and the conversation started. So far we have covered the brewery, football teams, craft breweries,megaswill,bush chooks,patriotism,vineyards,Coopers corporate structure,WA secession,consumer philosophy,advertising,coffee,sex,personal relationships,salami,bacon,pork loins and meat smokers. Just like in a real pub!  Now all we need is another closure to revive the conversation.How is 4xxxx going do you reckon?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1