Coopers Community

Bye all

Titan

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I also got some low carb enzyme to give that a try - the idea is to reduce the side effects and still have beer.

Is this going to work with kits 'n' bits? I thought it is used during the mash in order to create more fermentable sugars and thus get a lower body, higher ABV beer?

30 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Is this going to work with kits 'n' bits? I thought it is used during the mash in order to create more fermentable sugars and thus get a lower body, higher ABV beer?

Should do - I add malt to the can and also do partial mashes. At a guess there's going to be non-fermented sugars in the can malt that provide the body. Will see how it goes. 😄

Just now, Journeyman said:

Should do - I add malt to the can and also do partial mashes. At a guess there's going to be non-fermented sugars in the can malt that provide the body. Will see how it goes. 😄

Yeah I guess with partials it should work. I just don't think it will be able to convert existing sugars, only starch. 

35 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah I guess with partials it should work. I just don't think it will be able to convert existing sugars, only starch. 

Maybe you have a misunderstanding? The enzyme is added with the yeast so it should work on anything in the wort at that time.

"Low Carb Dry Enzyme is used for making drier, lower carb beer styles. Add with the yeast to break down more of the malt sugars which allows the yeast to ferment them for a lower carb, drier beer. This enzyme may extend fermentation time so ensure the specific gravity is stable for 3 days prior to bottling."

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 12:19 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am starting to look at lower ABV brews.  With homebrew I reckon we can still get some great tasting brews without going over 5%.  Drinking some bottles of 4.2% English Porter and it is delish.

That's been my brewing trend much of this year.  I'm doing stove top AG with a 3.2kg grist and with either enzymes or most recently Kveik the FG's are coming out at around 1.004 - 1.006, so that's resulting in lower carb brews at around 3.5 - 4%.   And more specifically, around 250 - 300kcal/litre.  

My beer habit (along with other high-carb foods) has had dire consequences on my waistline and health over the years  -  my potential health outcomes was not looking good in terms of diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk etc!  So this was the year that I decided to turn things around.  Of course modifications to my beer consumption was only one small part of the overall strategy - diet and regular exercise really were the things that made the most difference.  Today I am 16kgs lighter than I was 7 months ago.  No longer pre-diabetic, A1C has plummeted, cholesterol with a Chol/HDL ratio of 3.3 is pretty much perfect, triglycerides are way back down to normal and blood pressure meds have been reduced right down to minimal dose, and with luck I'll be off them completely soon.  And I still get to drink beer!  I've  had to get used to lighter, thin mouthfeels but otherwise I have no complaints with the 3.5-4% lower carb beers I've been brewing recently. 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Of course modifications to my beer consumption was only one small part of the overall strategy - diet and regular exercise really were the things that made the most difference.  Today I am 16kgs lighter than I was 7 months ago

Congratulations mate. Well done.

So there's hope for me, just have to get off my arse on exercise. 😄

Did you reduce beer consumption or just the ABV?

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Did you reduce beer consumption or just the ABV?

Both, and I also tend to favour wine more rather than another beer.   I obsessively record in software everything I eat and drink, logging the calories that I'm taking in - which in turn offset by recorded calories burnt through BMR and exercise etc.  By doing this I know that if I do want that extra beer how much exercise I need to do to 'earn' it -  e.g for every 750ml bottle I consume I need to walk the equivalent of about 40 - 50 minutes, or run for 15-20 minutes.   🤓  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Both, and I also tend to favour wine more rather than another beer.   I obsessively record in software everything I eat and drink, logging the calories that I'm taking in - which in turn offset by recorded calories burnt through BMR and exercise etc.  By doing this I know that if I do want that extra beer how much exercise I need to do to 'earn' it -  e.g for every 750ml bottle I consume I need to walk the equivalent of about 40 - 50 minutes, or run for 15-20 minutes.   🤓  

I can't run. (bad knees) So for a decent session I'll have to carry my beer and keep walking - by the time I'm decently drunk I'm likely to be 15 kms from home. 😄😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Journeyman said:

I can't run. (bad knees)...

I had ankle problems, still do but to a much lesser extent now.  It seems it was because of the extra weight bearing down on the joints and tendons etc.  I used to hobble downstairs in the mornings, desperately hanging on to the hand rail as I eased myself down each step.  Now, I can run on them for up to 90 minutes.  Bloody sore the next day mind you, but for the extra beer it earns me it's a small inconvenience really.  😋 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 10:19 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

With homebrew I reckon we can still get some great tasting brews without going over 5%.

Yeah Shamus mate - I also need to keep control of intake volume and regularity - but I would rather just have less days on the beer and drink the heavier stuff I like.... many different ways to the top of the mountain.

However, I think one day I will brew 5% beer too....  ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/31/2020 at 10:28 AM, BlackSands said:

Today I am 16kgs lighter than I was 7 months ago.  No longer pre-diabetic, A1C has plummeted, cholesterol with a Chol/HDL ratio of 3.3 is pretty much perfect, triglycerides are way back down to normal and blood pressure meds have been reduced right down to minimal dose, and with luck I'll be off them completely soon.  And I still get to drink beer!  I've  had to get used to lighter, thin mouthfeels but otherwise I have no complaints with the 3.5-4% lower carb beers I've been brewing recently. 

That is without doubt a sensational achievement Black Sands - well done.  I am hoping to follow your example...   whether I can do it while still enjoying the current bigger AG beers - we shall see I guess.  However, there are clear benefits on so many parts of the health spectrum... you have clearly shown.  16 kgs in 7 months is a a high bar but is the way to go.

Right.  So I am going for that walk this arvo after all ; )

Cheers. BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah Shamus mate - I also need to keep control of intake volume and regularity - but I would rather just have less days on the beer and drink the heavier stuff I like.... many different ways to the top of the mountain.

However, I think one day I will brew 5% beer too....  ; )

I say "cut down".  I say "brew under 5% beers".  However, I have a 7% Imperial Stout on tap.  Also have the Coopers Hazy IPA ROTM pack to brew.  Plus the Coopers 2020 Vintage Ale waiting in line too.  Not much of a man of my word. 😉

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I say "cut down".  I say "brew under 5% beers".  However, I have a 7% Imperial Stout on tap.  Also have the Coopers Hazy IPA ROTM pack to brew.  Plus the Coopers 2020 Vintage Ale waiting in line too.  Not much of a man of my word. 😉

Haha yes mate understand...

The last three grainers have been 6.7% - 5.8% (efficiency not so good haha) and 7.1% which are routine for me... 

I think though that I a move back towards 5 is a good idea as it will reduce the overall load... mmm maybe 5.5 is a good number ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Me all over. I love my beer so much.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haha yes mate understand...

The last three grainers have been 6.7% - 5.8% (efficiency not so good haha) and 7.1% which are routine for me... 

I think though that I a move back towards 5 is a good idea as it will reduce the overall load... mmm maybe 5.5 is a good number ; )

You're a man after my own heart BB.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haha some green and blue colours can be easy on the eye... country is doing so much better than 12 months ago 🤔

image.thumb.png.a905f7dff6cdb421907739739e18ae2b.png

All I had to do was look at the clouds yesterday for green or blue.

We rarely get hail where we are and we got it in three seperate storms yesterday. Nothing big mind you, but I’m glad for that cause there was a lot of it.

Some in other suburbs fared much worse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I think though that I a move back towards 5 is a good idea as it will reduce the overall load... mmm maybe 5.5 is a good number

It may be different withHB'ers, but I was working bar when they introduced light beer. (although it would be called mid strength now) What I noticed over the next 'x' years was, all that changed with drinkers who went light was they had more beers.

I came to the conclusion that most guys drink to get a particular level of 'buzz' and swapping to light just meant it took more to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 10:18 AM, Journeyman said:

I came to the conclusion that most guys drink to get a particular level of 'buzz' and swapping to light just meant it took more to get there.

With that in mind I had wondered at one time if instead of brewing lower ABV/carb beers what I actually need to do is brew higher ABV beers, and just drink less.   But the reality is for us that bottle our beer, once the cap is off that second (or third) 750ml you're almost certainly gonna drink it all.   I limit myself to one bottle of 4% brew these days and "top up" when extra 'buzz' is required with home made red wine (less carbs).   However, what I really need to do if I'm seriously wanting to continue keeping the carbs down is actually buy a still and make and drink G&T's instead!   😄  

P.S.  Aint gonna happen.  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 11/2/2020 at 5:18 AM, Journeyman said:

Breweries have built marketing around it "stay a little longer" in other words, still get pissed, but do it buying more of our crap product.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/5/2020 at 11:02 AM, Lab Cat said:

Breweries have built marketing around it "stay a little longer" in other words, still get pissed, but do it buying more of our crap product.

For some people the journey is just as important as the destination. I smash through heaps of Mild Ale on weekends because I just want to drink beer but don't always want to get pissed with my first two. Marathon not sprint etc etc. Lets me start happy hour earlier in the day. During the week is when I might have a higher ABV beer while I'm cooking as I'm not really wanting to have a session.

Fortunately, the Coopers Mild Ale recipe is pretty much spot on to the commercial offering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1