Coopers Community

Bye all

Titan

Stay safe, and welcome back when you have time for your hobby again. I dropped out of brewing when I was in my 30s when the boys came along, I got promoted etc etc etc.

Now in retirement the boys, now in their own 30s,  come round and empty my kegs 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Time for me to retire from the home brew game. Not much time left in a week for me to continue. Anyhow all the best for you guys. Hope you reach your vallhalla 

I hope you enjoy whatever it is you are going to do. We will miss you. What is on the horizon?

• Like 1

Cheers @Titan.  I must say, I hope to see you back one day.  You don't post a lot, but what you do post was always worth paying attention to.

I get that our focuses change with time.  I hope that whatever you do post-brewing brings you great enjoyment.  Feel free to say g'day every now and again if you can.

Kind regards Shamus

PS - Just checkin' RUOK mate?  Let us know if you're good.  If you're going through tough times try Beyond Blue or Lifeline or such.  I remember you had a health scare a while ago.  Hoping all is still good, brother.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bribie G said:

Stay safe, and welcome back when you have time for your hobby again. I dropped out of brewing when I was in my 30s when the boys came along, I got promoted etc etc etc.

Now in retirement the boys, now in their own 30s,  come round and empty my kegs 🤣

Same.... 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Titan said:

Time for me to retire from the home brew game. Not much time left in a week for me to continue. Anyhow all the best for you guys. Hope you reach your vallhalla 

Thanks for  the feedback over the years.   Stay well. 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, Titan said:

Sorry to see you go Titan. Drop in for cold one every now and then.  We don't mind if you haven't brewed it yourself. 😉 

• Like 5

According to my missus (who is into that stuff), Valhalla is a giant hall full of dead warriors getting drunk and fighting each other? Not much of a fighter myself and unlikely to die in combat, so I suppose I’ll just have to settle for my couch and trying to stay up while I watch the tour or F1 it whatever else on a Sunday night.

Is there an avenue for return?

Edited by King Ruddager
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 11:18 PM, King Ruddager said:

Is there an avenue for return?

I have. I ducked out because i was drinking to much beer. That didnt change, but i was buying it instead. So back on the home brew again. Starting with a black IPA fermenting with Voss so should be in the keg in 5 or 6 days. And thanks for all the kind messages. Love you guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Titan said:

I have. I ducked out because i was drinking to much beer. That didnt change, but i was buying it instead. So back on the home brew again. Starting with a black IPA fermenting with Voss so should be in the keg in 5 or 6 days. And thanks for all the kind messages. Love you guys.

You can take the homebrew out of the boy, but you cant take the boy out of homebrewing. Or is it the other way around 🤔

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Titan said:

Nice to see you back Titan.  I did see you reply to an earlier recent post and thought wtf, I thought he was outta here.

I have a similar drinking too much beer issue.  Got a four keg kegerator with barely 2L of Kolsch left, maybe 4L of soda water, and 18L of Pilsner conditioning.

I am starting to look at lower ABV brews.  With homebrew I reckon we can still get some great tasting brews without going over 5%.  Drinking some bottles of 4.2% English Porter and it is delish.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am starting to look at lower ABV brews.  With homebrew I reckon we can still get some great tasting brews without going over 5%.  Drinking some bottles of 4.2% English Porter and it is delish.

I got to do the same. I'm conscious of how much I drink and despite the glibness, it's probably too much. No hangovers, but constant, low level drinking.

I've got a lot of baggage right now: a reno that is dragging on and hemorrhaging cash, my mother is moving back to the UK in a few weeks, and another family member is in a hospice. Oh, and a y11 stressing about exams this month that count towards ATAR next year, who is also training to swim Perth to Rottnest next month - a 20km open water solo swim.  It's his only focus away from school work, so important thing for him, to keep him centered.

We all have this shit to deal with at some point, but coming on top of the year of covid, somethings got to give for a while, and the alc consumption goes up. I'm not an addictive personality, it's more habitual and cyclical, which is much easier to change.

• Like 7

I'm a bit of as pleb - I like the beer but if I am honest I drink for the drunk. Well, not so much drunk as the buzz. It helps live life.  I've been keeping the ABV high so I don't need to drink so many beers, as a weight control measure, but I've been getting some belly rumbles and occasional not-so-pleasant results. In reading up it seems to be related to yeast more than beer so I've got a filter - just did my first keg with it so will see how that goes in a week or so.

I also got some low carb enzyme to give that a try - the idea is to reduce the side effects and still have beer.

However I sat down a few days back and realised I have had 3 - 5 x 425ml beers pretty much every night for 14 months, a slight increase from my usual 5 - 7 twice a week. So I'm working on reducing the carbs, the yeast and also the episodes of beer. Which means slowing down production, so 1 x FV in action instead of 2.

We will see how it goes. I'm pretty healthy for 65 so don't want to crash that side of my life. I've got plans to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 140. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5