Coopers Community

Yeast fight

King Ruddager

38 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

The main question is would anything bad happen though, not whether or would be confusing

Hey Ruddy 

I really don't think you are going to derive a bad and undrinkable beer - by blending the different strains.

The main strains as far as I am aware are all Saccharomyces cerevisiae and it will be interesting to see the survival of the fittest I guess. 

And yes there is a vast difference between the hard core Hefeweizen wheat beer yeasts all the way through to lager and then milder norm ale yeasts.

But if is just the beer yeasts... 

So that is not including Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus...

Which would change the landscape of outcomes.

Give the yeast blend a go and let us know how things turn out.

Cheers

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

The main question is would anything bad happen though, not whether or would be confusing

Mate, you're a more experienced brewer than me. You know the only answer is to try it and see. I can't see much different between the ale strains you originally mentioned, but throwing a Belgian int would probably add something different. It depends on which yeast is more active I guess, as to which imparts more than the others.

Without having any idea whatsoever, I guess a lot would depend on what temperature you brew at and what the optimum temperature for each yeast is. If they all perform well at similar temperatures the outcome is a mystery but if one strain performs better at the brewing temp chosen I imagine the beer will mainly have the characteristics of that strain.