Coopers Community

Lager carbonation temp.

Just a quick question re: the duration and temperature of a lager brew. If I've used Saflager 34/70 yeast brewed at 12 degrees C after I've bottled what is the optimum temp for those bottles to carbonate at? 

And regrading a lager (take note Muzzy I've cleaned up my act) diacetyl rest, would it be too late to do one once fermentation has ceased? I've used Saflager 34/70 so not sure if one needs to be done anyway. I've fermented @ 12 degrees C.

Edited by Mickep

@Mickep, I carbonate all my bottled brews at least at 18°C.  Lagers and ales.  Ideally I move the lagers to the garage in winter to condition for three months.

I also up all my brews by a few degrees toward the end of fermentation.  Lagers from 12°C to 18°C.  I would do this even if I missed then end of fermentation.  Would it make a difference in such a case?  I do not know for sure.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Mickep, I carbonate all my bottled brews at least at 18°C.  Lagers and ales.  Ideally I move the lagers to the garage in winter to condition for three months.

I also up all my brews by a few degrees toward the end of fermentation.  Lagers from 12°C to 18°C.  I would do this even if I missed then end of fermentation.  Would it make a difference in such a case?  I do not know for sure.

Thanks Shamus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question:

I've conditioned my Lager in the bottles for 12 days @ approx 16-17 degrees C. The PET bottles were extremely firm to the touch and had no give in them but were not deformed. I placed them in the fridge at 2 degrees for a day and now the PET bottles have got a fair bit of give in them. Did I go to early with placing them in the fridge? Should I move them back to the warmer space for a time? The beer at room temp, before I moved them to the fridge was crystal clear in the bottle and had only a very small amount of sediment at the bottom.

TIA

Edited by Mickep

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Pressure drops in colder temperatures, that's why they feel softer. They should still be carbonated though.

Thanks heaps Otto, my last brew the bottles remained rock hard even in the fridge...You don't think I puit them in the fridge too soon then? I guess the only way to find out if they're Carbed or not is open one up - then I'd have to drink it.😆

• Like 1