Coopers Community

DMS in an uh-hopped mini-mash

King Ruddager

I have made partials with the Coopers EB kit a few times. It technically wasn’t unhopped wort because I added some late hops. I recall using Maris Otter and torrified Wheat. I can’t recall if I used anything else.

I boiled for 60 minutes due to concern with DMS but that was early on in my grain beer career.I wouldn’t bother with a 60 min boil now.

The EB kit produced some of my best partial mash beers.

• Like 3

I had to look up what DMS was! lol 🤓  (this was a pretty good explanation: https://winning-homebrew.com/dms-in-beer.html)

So what I got from the article is that even the Kits will have DMS in it because it is from Malt Grain, but I have never tasted corn or cooked veggies in my brews.

(All I get from all my brews is Stonefruit, so I am probably getting other letters of the alphabet in mine! 🤦‍♂️)

59 minutes ago, Norris! said:

So the next video will be the difference between a KnK and a partial mash? Sounds pretty sweet.

Agreed! Sounds great!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, John E Miller said:

King Ruddager, how much malt do you need to mash to make the equivelent of 1kg of DME?

I used 2 a while back and got it a smidge over.  it was a really nice beer though.

On the raw brew question.  I have heard of it, but not done it.  Not for any real reason other than I forgot about it and there are some many brews still to be done.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Thanks 1