Coopers Community

Temperature controller

John E Miller

I am thinking about getting an inkbird or something.

Can anyone tell me whether this can be used with only a fridge, or with only a heat pad, or do you need to be plugged into both at once? 

Reason I ask is that I have a fridge to use at the moment but I won't always have it. Plus, if I could use a heat pad to brew in winter, why would I need a fridge?

Cheers...

Bonus question: Does anyone here also use their temp controller for something other than brewing? I like multi-use items.

Yes, can be used just for heating OR cooling and for heating AND cooling.

The reason why you may want a fridge and heating in winter is to keep the temps within a tight range.  The best beer is made with a CONSTANT temp so the eyast isn't stressed wtih changes. So we use both to keep it within +/- 0.3° (or whatever your choice is) to ensure we get the best beer possible. 

Fish tanks, reptiles tanks, could probably use it for aquaponics - pretty much anything where you want a constant and controlled temp.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

Reason I ask is that I have a fridge to use at the moment but I won't always have it. Plus, if I could use a heat pad to brew in winter, why would I need a fridge?

When you have an external controller like the inkbird, your fridge comes an efficient, insulated box. Simply having a FV sitting on a heat pad isn't going to be very good at maintaining a stable, constant temp.

The controller tells the fridge how cool to work at, and has a dual socket for a heating device. So in winter the cooling component of the fridge is used far less. But both will still work in tandem to keep the temp in the range set.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

Plus, if I could use a heat pad to brew in winter, why would I need a fridge?

Heat pad will only heat the bottom of the beer.... Best is to have the air around the fv at the desired temp, thermal mass is bigger and lessens the temperature swings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me whether this can be used with only a fridge, or with only a heat pad, or do you need to be plugged into both at once? 

Cheers...

Bonus question: Does anyone here also use their temp controller for something other than brewing? I like multi-use items.

I only use the cooling part in my brew fridges. If the temp drops below the threshold it will switch the heater part on but I have nothing attached to it. The heat pad I have has too thick a cable to squeeze it between seal and fridge. The temp rarely drops below a point where I'd be worried about things getting too cold and if, then I'll just open the fridge door for a while 🙂 

• Thanks 1

If you go a head and get one, you won't be disappointed. I bought one as a backup for my aquarium one in case it failed, but when I started brewing it became my brew temp controller.

It is customisable to 0.1C of all the following: target temp, heating difference trigger, cooling difference trigger, cold temp alarm, hot temp alarm, plus calibration and compressor delay.

One day when my generic aquarium controller fails, I would probably buy another inkbird. 👍

A bonus photo included 😝

AF9A87DB-9E4F-4493-B9E6-9A63F74F0CDE.jpeg

BC8E4C49-6470-4261-9303-9807B398B04D.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Due to bits and pieces I've acquired over the years I have three different options.

I have a reptile heat cord that I use in one fridge. These seem to have jumped in price a bit since I bought mine.

I have a heat pad that I lean against the side of the fridge away from the FV in a second fridge.

I also have a couple of heat belts. I did have one hanging in a fridge before I swapped to heat  pad.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:15 PM, John E Miller said:

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone have suggestions for a good value heat source? 

I use a heat belt in my fermentation freezer.  The heat belt probably cost $30.  In fact, I have two heat belts.

I have two temp controllers now.  One for the fermentation freezer and one for other stuff:

I use the second temp controller to control the temperature inside a big cardboard box where I do yeast starters.  On brew day, I use this controller to control my sparge water temperature to under 77°C.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:15 PM, John E Miller said:

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone have suggestions for a good value heat source? 

I got my heat belt from Triple J Home Brew for $15, and it included a horizontal temperature strip, so I could sit the belt above or below it instead of across it. If you are in Melbourne, free shipping too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

On brew day, I use this controller to control my sparge water temperature to under 77°C.

Oh dear, I read this and now I need to get my knowledge sponge ready. I see in King Ruddager's videos he sparges with a kettle, and I thought nothing of it..... 

Until you casually mention you don't sparge with water that is over 77c...... now I need to understand why!

🤓🤔🧽😀

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

Oh dear, I read this and now I need to get my knowledge sponge ready. I see in King Ruddager's videos he sparges with a kettle, and I thought nothing of it..... 

Until you casually mention you don't sparge with water that is over 77c...... now I need to understand why!

🤓🤔🧽😀

Because the recommended sparge temperature is 75°C.  This temperature stops conversion of starches to sugars.  It also thins out the wort, allowing for smoother sparging (draining) of the grains. 

King Ruddager, using a kettle that has been left to sit for a bit after it has boiled, probably achieves the same thing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pilotsh said:

But yeast likes sugar!?!? 😮

My mistake.  I thought there was something sciency about 75°C being a temperature where some chemical reaction stops.  Googling it suggests around 75°C assists with rinsing off sugars.  As you say, this is what you want in your wort.  Too high a sparge temperature can wash off tannins from the grain husks and affect the taste of your beer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pilotsh said:

I got my heat belt from Triple J Home Brew for $15, and it included a horizontal temperature strip, so I could sit the belt above or below it instead of across it. If you are in Melbourne, free shipping too.

Great value mate I got one too. 14.95 - Free shipping - in fact some of their stuff including yeasts etc are cheaper than most other places I've found.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:47 AM, MUZZY said:

I have a heat belt and from memory I got it from Kegland for about $10-$12. Postage was extra but if you live in Melbourne that isn't an issue.

Correction: I got my heat belt from Triple J Brewing. $12 with shipping to Adelaide $11 but I also ordered some hops in that order.
Use the coupon code: TRJ5 - to get 5% discount as well.

• Like 1

I am in Melbourne.  Last year I mucked up two brews in September without temperature control.  We experienced minimums between 2º and  20º   and maximums between 12º and 25º.   I don't think my panic helped matters.  It was the worst beer I have ever brewed.

This year the minimums have ranged between 2º and 17º   while the maximums have ranged from 12º to 25º.... very much the same as last year, but this year I have a brew fridge and a temperature controller and heat belt and it has sat steady at 20º right where I want it to be and if every other brew I have done since I got the controller are anything to judge by it will be just fine.   Best fifty bucks I have spent in a long time.   

If you are brewing in the Southern latitudes you have get one of these.  Consistently and reliably better beer with less effort and no worries. 👍

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Regarding a lager (take note Muzzy I've cleaned up my act) diacetyl rest, would it be too late to do one once fermentation has ceased? I've used Saflager 34/70 so not sure if one needs to be done anyway. I've fermented @ 12 degrees C.

Thanks Mick. This warms the cockles of my heart.
As for your question, I'm not sure of the answer but I don't think there'd be any harm in doing a D rest and if anything I think it would be beneficial to your brew.
Our more experienced comrades on here will soon set us straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1