Coopers Community

boiled hops in wort

Mikes15

Strain or filter out for me. I guess I’m just trying to keep things out that don’t need to be there. Once they’re boiled they aren’t going to add much to the wort I wouldn't think.

As long as the “tea bag” has room the hops should still do their thing in the boil. 

I wondered about it the other way around - could we re-use dry hops for bittering in the boil? I can't see why it wouldn't work as the dry hops process doesn't address the bittering ability of the hops, so if you're doing 2 brews in succession or maybe one the next day if seems to me dropping the hops in would provide bittering without costing another lot of hops.

26 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I wondered about it the other way around - could we re-use dry hops for bittering in the boil? I can't see why it wouldn't work as the dry hops process doesn't address the bittering ability of the hops, so if you're doing 2 brews in succession or maybe one the next day if seems to me dropping the hops in would provide bittering without costing another lot of hops.

you can use the dry hop to bitter. Its a bit of a guess as to what is left though and how much to use weight wise. I couldn't be bothered to work it out, but if you do id like to hear about the outcome..

• Like 1