Coopers Community

Storing cracked grain

Frankie4Fingers

Hi all

I don't have a mill and have been using the rolling pin method for the small number of Coopers recipes that I have done so far.  I am about to do two new recipes and the HBS that I have purchased the grain from will be mailing it to me already milled.

What I am trying to find out is how long will the cracked grain last for given I can only do one brew at a time?  

I have a vac sealer and bags so I can weigh out the amounts for each recipe and then remove all the air and store but just wanted to get an idea of how long I can store for and where is the best place to store.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

Hi all

I don't have a mill and have been using the rolling pin method for the small number of Coopers recipes that I have done so far.  I am about to do two new recipes and the HBS that I have purchased the grain from will be mailing it to me already milled.

What I am trying to find out is how long will the cracked grain last for given I can only do one brew at a time?  

I have a vac sealer and bags so I can weigh out the amounts for each recipe and then remove all the air and store but just wanted to get an idea of how long I can store for and where is the best place to store.

Cheers

If you buy an all grain kit from a home brew store the grain comes pre-crushed and many if not all are not vacuum sealed. Unless they are truning them over really quickly i would suspect some would be 2 or 3 months old. Your method of vac sealing would give at least that 2 or 3 month and still be fresh enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

Hi all

Cheers

With specialty grains, I wound't be too concerned. If you get them vacuum sealed, great, if not, seal them yourself as soon as you get them. Use a larger bag than you need, so you can cut it open, take what you need and reseal it again afterwards, so you don't need a new bag every time you use some of the grains. 

• Like 1