Coopers Community

Will this recipe be okay.

Tricky Micky

Using what I have left over in the cupboard for a recipe for the next brew. Wondering if this will be okay.

Coopers Larger 1.7kg

I have BE 3 and BE 1 + 200grams of LDME

US-05 yeast

and about 70 grams of POR pellets.

Could I steep a little of the POR or would it end up being too hoppy?

I've gone with:

Coopers 1.7kg 

BE 3

US-05 yeast

200grams LDME

Recipe for latest brew.PNG

Edited by Mickep
add text

Steeping and adding the POR on brew day won't make it too hoppy. It'll add to the bitterness and IMO makes a welcome addition to the LAGER, LAGER, LAGER tin.

I've used about 20g steeped for around 30 minutes to the LAGER and found it a subtle improvement on no hops.

Dry hopping near ferment end will add the hoppy flavours and aromas but I've never bothered with dry hopping yet, as I tend to take baby steps advances with my brewing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Or we could just fight to the death?

I don't think that would be a fair fight because your moniker suggests you might have access to jousting sticks that I don't and I have seen your savage hound in videos.
What about Roman-Greco wrestling bouts? I could use my distinct weight advantage and even if I lost it would still be kinky kind of fun. 😄

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I reckon he's testing me, PM. 😁

If so, you have responded with admirable restraint. Now ,some nice deep breaths, perhaps a little lie down, and you could be forgiven for approaching the beer fridge a little earlier than usual today. I just might join you, Cheers!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

@Mickep what you now have is conflicting opinions on whether to use the POR or not from @King Ruddagerand myself. So the only way to sort this dilemma is to experiment and you'll soon work out what you prefer. 

Sorry King Ruddager I'm going with the POR. Muzzy I'm going to steep 20grams for 30 minutes. You reckon that'd be okay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worts and all said:

and you could be forgiven for approaching the beer fridge a little earlier than usual today. I just might join you, Cheers!

See... a while ago I was a bit concerned about old age and that maybe my creativity was fading. Then I found home brew and discovered an amazing new depth of creativty to NOT having nights off of drinking beer AND justifying the slightly rotund figure I have become. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 3

@Mickep I just looked back on my brewing notes and I finished drinking an OS Lager a few weeks ago. Very similar to the recipe you have planned out except I didn't add LDME and I used different yeast. It was very drinkable. Yours will probably be even better.
I used:
1.7kg OS Lager
1 x BE3 
Yeast salvaged from a previous European Lager
25g POR steeped for 30 mins
Fermented at 15C

9 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Mickep I just looked back on my brewing notes and I finished drinking an OS Lager a few weeks ago. Very similar to the recipe you have planned out except I didn't add LDME and I used different yeast. It was very drinkable. Yours will probably be even better.
I used:
1.7kg OS Lager
1 x BE3 
Fermented at 15C

Thanks Muzzy. I've managed to scrape and scrounge and got myself an old fridge for nothing, bought the heat belt and Inkbird so I should be able to keep the lager in the right zone from now on. Thanks for your help mate.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I used:
1.7kg OS Lager
1 x BE3 
Fermented at 15C

Add 25 grams of POR pellets. What's your process for the 30 minute steep Muzzy?