Coopers Community

Temp settings for fermentation fridge

Nicksaway

Hi everyone,

I’ve just started my second brew and was wondering what people set their temperature range at?

l have just bought a WiFi Inkbird and a secondhand fridge, I’m brewing a coopers draught and have it set at 21deg with 1deg either side for heating and cooling,

Is that too wide a temp range for fermenting?

Cheers

You're in the ball park but most of us ferment around 18° - 19° for anything except actual lagers. (I put it that way because the Coopers lager tin doesn't come with lager yeast so is actually an ale)

My IB is set to the minimum - +/- 0.3° - the less variation in temp, the better beer you make.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicksaway said:

Thanks mate I couldn’t find anywhere how wide a variation was too wide

Cheers

Where you set it would be about it. Anything more would be heading into territory where the yeast does strange stuff. 😄 Remember, the difference is doubled - +/- 2° is actually a 4° swing.

Edited by Journeyman

Agree with the lowest variance possible but I have found that brewing ales a bit higher in the temp range gives good yeast characteristics and also speeds things up a bit.  Most ales yeast have an optimum range from 17 -24ish so there is no problem brewing in the higher end of the range.  Particularly if you want some esters in the flavour profile.  Just need to keep it stable so lower the variance to keep it as close to the temp you choose. 

• Like 1

Around 20 is good for kits such as most of the Coopers range.

Going deeper into the subject, it depends on the style of beer and the yeast. For example the very popular Nottingham ale yeast is great at 19 degrees or so for ales, but can ferment right down to around 12 degrees to make a clean "fake" lager.

On the other hand some ale yeasts like Ringwood produce nice esters at 22 degrees and Irish Ale Yeast is brilliant at 24 degrees making a Guinness style stout (as they do at the brewery in Dublin). 

Generally however I'm like Journeyman, and for the majority of my ales, 20 is the upper limit. 

• Like 2

Variance depends on how you set the probe up. If it's just dangling in the fridge then 0.3 degrees is way too little and will just kill the fridge. Whenever I do this, for cold crashing or just using it for a general fridge, I set the variance to 2 degrees so it's not turning on and off too often. 

When I'm fermenting I tape the probe to the fermenter underneath a piece of foam, and use the 0.3 degree variance to keep the temperature as stable as possible. Because this basically measures the brew temperature which changes much slower than the air does, the fridge doesn't turn on and off too often.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, Nicksaway said:

ive got an cleaned tin with a old work light inside for a heat source( I saw it on a YouTube clip)

I have mine hung upside down because of the possibility of condensation. My FV fridge tends to collect water in the bottom as ferment proceeds and I didn't want to risk a short.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I have just scored a second FV and I was wondering if I need to actually use the Krausen collars or does it depend on the types of brews you?

I can fit both in but the collars won’t move up and down which is what I’m thinking is the whole idea.

647EBDFA-5FFD-408D-9D54-61DA7B8C4256.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Nicksaway said:

Hi all

I have just scored a second FV and I was wondering if I need to actually use the Krausen collars or does it depend on the types of brews you?

I can fit both in but the collars won’t move up and down which is what I’m thinking is the whole idea.

This is my dream setup, Just need to convince the partner to get another fridge. Currently only have a bar fridge so can only fit one fermenter in it.

I dont use the Krausen Collar, never had anything that large that the krausen comes anywhere near the top. So you could get away with it.

4 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

This is my dream setup, Just need to convince the partner to get another fridge. Currently only have a bar fridge so can only fit one fermenter in it.

I dont use the Krausen Collar, never had anything that large that the krausen comes anywhere near the top. So you could get away with it.

I m always looking on gumtree and fb marketplace, I got the fridge for 80 bucks and the second FV with 60 odd bottles and caps for 30 bucks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nicksaway said:

Hi all

I ceased using the collar because I found it unnecessary and many of my brew have been 25 litres. Keep in mind though that I only brew kits and bits. I'm told some stouts with certain types of yeast can get quite foamy. I guess if you did brew something that has that characteristic you could just do one FV at a time and use the collar.

12 hours ago, Nicksaway said:

I can fit both in but the collars won’t move up and down which is what I’m thinking is the whole idea

I haven't heard the collar needs to move, just that it gives extra headroom. There are lid 'clips' you get with a new Coopers FV (I don't have them) but I don't know if they work with the collar - if they do that would prevent the collar moving.

I've never had to use the collar I have, including for a 23L big stout.