Coopers Community

Sediment in bottles

Murray graham

Normally there wouldn't be sediment at the start - the sugar you add to cause carbonation gets processed by the residual yeast in the bottle and that produces minor amounts of sediment. e.g. in the PET bottles, I'd normally get enough sediment to partly fill the dimples in the base, but that's at the end of the carb process, maybe 2 weeks on the shelf.

Did you maybe stir up the trub in the bottom of the FV? (trub is the sediment in the Fermenting Vessel) Normally we try to reduce movement so the trub doesn't get stirred up as we bottle.

Edited by Journeyman

I would say it is normal also.  I've had a couple that have looked very clear going into the bottle but one the residual yeast eats up the priming sugar you will still get some sediment.

It should settle out of the beer and just pour into a glass so you can keep an eye on it and leave the sediment behind.

As Journeyman says, I would normally partially fill the dimples in the bottom of the PET bottles, or have a thin layer over the bottom of a glass bottle.

• Like 1

@Murray graham it's completely normal and quite an essential by-product of in bottle carbonation. The only real way to avoid sediment is to go to kegs where the beer is carbonated by gas rather than sugar and yeast.

I'm three years into my brewing journey and haven't bothered with kegs but many brewers think kegs are the greatest thing since laminated underpants. If you do continue bottle carbonation try not consuming too much of the sediment by either decanting into a jug or pouring gently into a glass. The sediment isn't harmful but it contains yeast that will fire up again in your belly and......BRRRRRRRRTT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Murray graham

Sediment or as it's sometimes referred to as the sands of the torres...(straits).

Ive noticed using either fermentis US04/05 the sediment seems to really stick to the bottom of the bottle without any need to separate beer from sediment (& Yes your beer should have this) ..but as long as you haven't bottled the trub or yeast cake from your batch just drink the sh##t, it's choc full of vitamin B matey-

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

as long as you haven't bottled the trub or yeast cake from your batch just drink the sh##t, it's choc full of vitamin B matey-

That as well may be. But it makes you fart like a cowboy in Blazing Saddles.

So I've heard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Murray graham it's completely normal and quite an essential by-product of in bottle carbonation. The only real way to avoid sediment is to go to kegs where the beer is carbonated by gas rather than sugar and yeast.

I'm three years into my brewing journey and haven't bothered with kegs but many brewers think kegs are the greatest thing since laminated underpants. If you do continue bottle carbonation try not consuming too much of the sediment by either decanting into a jug or pouring gently into a glass. The sediment isn't harmful but it contains yeast that will fire up again in your belly and......BRRRRRRRRTT!

Is that what it is I thought is was the Mrs.

• Haha 4