Coopers Community

Is this too cloudy?

Kelvin B

Hello everyone - this is my first attempt - lager.  This is day 8 - but have only been able to get the temperature to 18.

I've been told this is ok but need to wait longer for fermentation - 

My questions are;

1. How do you know when fermentation has taken place?

2. Is the cloudiness here in the photo ok & if not what do I need to do?

Thanks very much

IMG_9504.jpg

2 hours ago, Kelvin B said:

Hello everyone - this is my first attempt - lager.  This is day 8 - but have only been able to get the temperature to 18.

I've been told this is ok but need to wait longer for fermentation - 

My questions are;

1. How do you know when fermentation has taken place?

2. Is the cloudiness here in the photo ok & if not what do I need to do?

Thanks very much

IMG_9504.jpg

Take two samples one on one day an a second sample on the next day, if the SG readings are the same the fermentation is complete, leave for a couple more days so the yeast can clean up and then bottle.

The cloudiness is OK most of it will settle out in the bottle, like Coopers pale ale.

The are are some excellent Coopers "How To" videos on this site which you may like to have a look at.

• Like 1

@Kelvin B Cloudiness is normal at this stage of the process and it will start to clear when fermentation is finished.  By the look of it yours is still fermenting on account of the froth at the top of the sample tube so may not be finished just yet.  After your FG has stayed the same for at least 2 days then see if you can put the whole FV into a fridge to cold crash it at normal fridge temperatures or if you have a dedicated FV fridge with temp controller set at 2 C.  Leave it there for a few days.  This causes most of the yeast in suspension to drop to the bottom and helps clear your beer.

Don't worry if you cannot cold crash it as it will clear up in the bottle and you will not believe the difference after a few weeks carbonation and conditioning.  Good luck with your brewing and welcome to the forum.  I would not worry about adding any fining's or clearing agents either, just give it time.

PS I took my shoes off before answering your thread.🤣

Cheers - AL

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...