Coopers Community

New Boy Questions

Kelvin B

Very pleased to receive my brewing kit from my 2 sons (19 & 20) for Fathers Day recently.

I'm following the instructions but have a couple of queries please;

1. I cannot seem to get the temperature above 18. It has blankets and even a sleeping bag around it but no change (after 7 days).

Do I need to do something at this stage or will it be ok?

2. On day 7 I rechecked the gravity but the plunger just dropped straight to the bottom and didn't float at all - is this normal - do I need to do anything?

3. Finally the video mentions if cloudy may need to 'de-gas' - what is this and how cloudy is cloudy?

Many thanks to anyone that help a new boy out.

54 minutes ago, Kelvin B said:

Very pleased to receive my brewing kit from my 2 sons (19 & 20) for Fathers Day recently.

I'm following the instructions but have a couple of queries please;

1. I cannot seem to get the temperature above 18. It has blankets and even a sleeping bag around it but no change (after 7 days).

Do I need to do something at this stage or will it be ok?

2. On day 7 I rechecked the gravity but the plunger just dropped straight to the bottom and didn't float at all - is this normal - do I need to do anything?

3. Finally the video mentions if cloudy may need to 'de-gas' - what is this and how cloudy is cloudy?

Many thanks to anyone that help a new boy out.

1. To raise the Fermenters temperature above 18C you will need to move it to a warmer place or purchase a heat belt around $20. Have a look on EBAY,

2. Have you got enough liquid in the "Tube", bottoming usually occurs when there is not enough.Home Brew Heat Heating Belt Pad for fermenter Beer Wine Spirits + Thermometer  F

3. De gassing is require when the sample you are taking has plenty of CO2 in it. Bubbles stick to the "Plunger" and causes it to rise and give a false reading. You can wait for the sample to degas or bounce the plunger up and down to rid the sample of CO2.

4. How much something is cloudy is subjective, most samples you take will be cloudy to some degree. In this situation you will see the sample having lots small bubbles in it.

2 hours ago, Kelvin B said:

If you struggle to get the temp up, it will probably still ferment, but just take longer. if it sticks around 18c it should be fine.