Coopers Community

The death of a beer fridge

Ocean's of Ale-

Evening mate's, 

I brought my kelvinator fridge when i first moved out of home at age 18.. I had no idea the journey that fridge & i  would endure, from various half naked girlfriends grabing orange juice out of it on a hungover sunday mornings to a weird vodka UDL phase when the cops used to turn up routinely to the place i was renting to tell me to turn the music down. As the possibilitys of making beer shaped my consciousness my kelvinator was elevated to a new destiny...keeping my fermentation temperature stable, that is or was untill a month ago when the units compresser pact it in, naturally i was in denial,  arguing that it had to be the power companys fault & not my 25yr old fridge. Naturally ill give the old girl a wake to send her off, but what should i buy to replace it? Another fridge?  A chest freezer? A brew jacket??  Create some kind of swamp cooler??? 

What temperature stabizing unit are you using mates?

Any tip hints or advice cheers mate's °•⊙

(Its supposed to get 26°c in sydney tomorrow its probably going to ruin my ale-)

20200916_201902.jpg

• Like 3

Mate, get on to Facebook marketplace. There's always fridges going fairly cheap on there.
In the meantime, make up some ice bricks and place in the broken fridge with your brew to keep the inside temp down.
Empty milk cartons are good for ice bricks.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

Evening mate's, 

I brought my kelvinator fridge when i first moved out of home at age 18.. I had no idea the journey that fridge & i  would endure, from various half naked girlfriends grabing orange juice out of it on a hungover sunday mornings to a weird vodka UDL phase when the cops used to turn up routinely to the place i was renting to tell me to turn the music down. As the possibilitys of making beer shaped my consciousness my kelvinator was elevated to a new destiny...keeping my fermentation temperature stable, that is or was untill a month ago when the units compresser pact it in, naturally i was in denial,  arguing that it had to be the power companys fault & not my 25yr old fridge. Naturally ill give the old girl a wake to send her off, but what should i buy to replace it? Another fridge?  A chest freezer? A brew jacket??  Create some kind of swamp cooler??? 

What temperature stabizing unit are you using mates?

Any tip hints or advice cheers mate's °•⊙

(Its supposed to get 26°c in sydney tomorrow its probably going to ruin my ale-)

20200916_201902.jpg

Sorry to hear of your loss.

In time, when you are ready and are looking at for replacement and if you would like one that costs nothing to run, is easy to construct, has no noise issues, is environmentally friendly, is a proven performer, could be the envy of fellow brewers, was recommended by 9 out of 10 late 19th century gold miners for beer cooling, and will give a Swamp Cooler a run for its money, a Coolgardie Safe should be high on your list for consideration.

Construction details are below ! 

image.jpeg.4758b3eb03f101764fdb403cb21daf4d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My dad built one of these for camping.  Was great for keeping the vegetables, butter and milk cool in Mildura temperatures.  However, the beer went into the gas fired portable fridge.  Priorities people.

Haha. My dad was an agronomist (I don't really know what that is by the way) and travelled rural areas of Australia. He loved a beer and told me of a truckie who offered him a "COLDIE". The truckie had devised a piece of wire that dangled a few beers in the diesel tank of his truck to keep them cool. Dad politely declined the offer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2