Coopers Community

Too many hops??? And how to fix it...ft. Gilla Hop Monster IPA

joelwhf

Hey there! 

So I hit up this recipe on the weekend; the Gila Hop Monster IPA (https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/gila-monster-black-ipa.html).

Basically everything went well in the cooking, except I had a massive brain fart and used 100g of Citra hops instead of the suggested 25g. Now, after tasting it (post placing in fermenter  12/09/20); it was very hoppy and bitter but as the fermenting has continued and the gravity has changed the recipe has become a much more pleasant, albeit Citra hop heavy beer. It's feeling and tasting pretty good at the moment, but I feel like it needs a bit more body.

Does anyone have any suggestions for another 1 or 2/3 hops to dry hop the next few days in the fermenter before i bottle? Im feeling a bit of Amarillo & Galaxy might do the trick? What are some recommendations and what amounts should I use to dry hop to give it more flavoursome body?

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This recipe already has a lot of flavour and body from the fermentables. I would not add more hops.  It should work out okay if you want a bitter beer.

Cheers Shamus. Im actually really digging the taste. Just though I might be able to add a little bit more flavour with some dry hopping. Ill stick with what I got and I reckon / hope it continues to get better with every day. It wasnt undrinkable at the start. It is definetely tasty now. Just Citra heavy haha!

Just now, joelwhf said:

Cheers Shamus. Im actually really digging the taste. Just though I might be able to add a little bit more flavour with some dry hopping. Ill stick with what I got and I reckon / hope it continues to get better with every day. It wasnt undrinkable at the start. It is definetely tasty now. Just Citra heavy haha!

If you haven't dry hopped it then you can definitely throw some extra in. It adds something different to the hops that you boiled.

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

If you haven't dry hopped it then you can definitely throw some extra in. It adds something different to the hops that you boiled.

I swung past the local homebrew shop at lunch. They suggest to chuck some Columbus (dry hop).  @Hairy Bit sketchy though on the amount of dry hopping I should do? Was thinking 50 g dry hop to counter the 100g boil? Or should I stick with the suggested amount 25 g for 8.5 litres?

Just now, joelwhf said:

I swung past the local homebrew shop at lunch. They suggest to chuck some Columbus (dry hop).  @Hairy Bit sketchy though on the amount of dry hopping I should do? Was thinking 50 g dry hop to counter the 100g boil? Or should I stick with the suggested amount 25 g for 8.5 litres?

If you like big hoppy beers then 50g is fine. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 10:47 PM, RDW said:

I’ve got this recipe on the to do list...how did your hop monster version come out...?

@RDW Hey mate. It came out amazing. Pretty alcoholic (about 8% ABV), pretty citra heavy but the columbus dry hop and lactose/dextrose really increases the flavour. Will surely make it again!