Coopers Community

Hops Boil 60 minutes

25 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Those pots are the best - mine continues to be useful even when I'm doing all-grain brews as a rinsing bucket. 10L gets you out of the worrying-about-hop-concentration zone too (in short, when hops are concentrated in a small container they are less effective).

When you say fully, you mean only the 500g, right? Not the full amount for the whole recipe. I'm only asking because this looks unclear.

Fair call, I meant the 500g only, it was unclear there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ruddager said:

Those pots are the best - mine continues to be useful even when I'm doing all-grain brews as a rinsing bucket. 10L gets you out of the worrying-about-hop-concentration zone too (in short, when hops are concentrated in a small container they are less effective).

When you say fully, you mean only the 500g, right? Not the full amount for the whole recipe. I'm only asking because this looks unclear.

I took that to read 500grams. The remainder added to the fermenter vessel. 

• Thanks 1

About to boil up the hops and Malt in my new 19 litre stock pot from BigW 🙂.

Thanks for sharing all your info so far regarding the procedure. One last question. If I'm boiling the 10 litres of water and malt and have wrapped the hop pellets in a chux wipe and immersed that into the pot and the pellets remain in the cloth for the duration of the boil do I still need to strain any of the 10 litres of the liquid when pouring it into the fermenter? TIA

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mickep said:

About to boil up the hops and Malt in my new 19 litre stock pot from BigW 🙂.

Thanks for sharing all your info so far regarding the procedure. One last question. If I'm boiling the 10 litres of water and malt and have wrapped the hop pellets in a chux wipe and immersed that into the pot and the pellets remain in the cloth for the duration of the boil do I still need to strain any of the 10 litres of the liquid when pouring it into the fermenter? TIA

You shouldn't need to strain the liquid if you have the hops contained. I normally put the hops in loose so there is plenty "action" through out boil then strain the liquid through a sieve

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

You shouldn't need to strain the liquid if you have the hops contained. I normally put the hops in loose so there is plenty "action" through out boil then strain the liquid through a sieve

Thanks Pickles appreciate the feedback.

Will the chux idea be okay still? 

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Mickep, The colour will not come out of the Chux cloth in a boil.  One of the other brewers on here tested that a while ago. 

Just wrap the hops loosely in the Chux so they can move about.

I use a brewinabagnylon sock... but boiled it for a while before utilisation.... with a bit of vinegar for nice pH drop... mostly just for dry hopping.

In the brew... Stainless Mesh basket... 

Maybe you could do a preboil on your chux... should get rid of any soluble dye or material compounds hopefully and then you should be fine... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1