Coopers Community

Coopers lager fermenting temp

PaulserP

I just bottled my second lager brew this time using Saflager W-34/70 yeast instead of the kit yeast which I understand is actually an ale yeast, I set the Ink bird up at 12C left the brew in the FF for three weeks. To my surprise it was really clear, smelled and tasted great. Not like the first one I did - no temperature control. I have still to drink the seasoned brew but if it continues along the way it's going it has to better than the first one.  I would suggest that 18 C should be OK if you are using the kit yeast. I am sure someone will clarify the temperature if I have advised wrongly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I would suggest that 18 C should be OK if you are using the kit yeast. I am sure someone will clarify the temperature if I have advised wrongly.

Yes, kit yeast in the lager is an ale yeast, so 18-20 ideal. If its a first brew, I'd do that. You could use a lager yeast, but there's more to making a decent lager than just using the right yeast. Best to read up on the process.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Saflager W-34/70 

Pickles mate you have hit the jackpot with Weihenstephaner Lager Yeast W34/70 - tiz the biz - and mate honestly.... even at higher temps than 12 - you will still get an amazingly good quality brew... is very accommodating... am drinking a full bodied All Grainer with W34/70 at around 18-20 degC and it is Gold!

But yeah @PaulserP Paulie what you are brewing is really an Ale... it's an Ale Yeast.... and 18 or so is fine... just drink it as an Ale... it's not a Lager by any means... but still a nice beer.

Maybe a Late-Hop.... e.g. buy some hop pellets - and get a hop sock and toss them after the major ferment is done... and drink it as an Ale. 

Good luck and stay in touch mate as this site is full of informative folk who know plennnny about brewing ; )

Made a huge difference in my brewing development mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, PaulserP said:

Cheers for the advice. Actually used Bavarian lager yeast. Inkbird set at 12 degrees. 🤞🤞

You have started early in the excellence curve PaulserP... but with temp control - and brewing alternatives - there are so many opportunities... all malt KnK... grain steeps... grain partials... all the way through to All Grain first principles brewing...  you have officially joined the journey!

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

Could I swap out the S 23 yeast for US-05 yeast in the following recipe?  Apart from turning the brew into an ale would it change the flavour dramatically?

Mmm... so no Brew Concentrate at all?  like a Coopers Pale or a Coopers Bitter... just dry malt and some POR hops?

I think this will be a sad old brew - I did one ages ago before all-graining... where I did just dry malt mostly.... a small bag of liquid malt... and it was drinkable...had alc... but head quality and head retention was dire... 

And yeah S23 and I prefer W34/70 for lagers and cooler temps - are quite different from Ale yeasts which US05 is one - and one I like...  US05 much easier to deal with at warmer temps like 18 deg C... 

Anyway dunno if I have answered the question - but really recommend getting some liquid kit in there... Coopers Real Ale is nice - put in your dry malt and (not liking sugar myself) whatever as well and US05 and see how you go.

I would suggest potentially something else instead - 1 Coopers Real Ale - 1 Coopers Amber Liquid Malt Can 1.5kg - one pack of Coopers BE2 or 3 - and US05 or use the yeast from the Can - 18 deg... and a larvely brew should ensue... and add some extra hops if you want... 

But personal choice... 

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mickep said:

Could I swap out the S 23 yeast for US-05 yeast in the following recipe?  Apart from turning the brew into an ale would it change the flavour dramatically?

What are you going for here? The yeast is probably the last concern I'd have with this.

There's a reason good beer kits were invented. Why make it harder and brew with just dry malt, plain sugar and a hop? Kits have other grains, malts and hops already in the mix, which provides flavour. I can't help feeling this would a really underwhelming, flavour-free bitter beer.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mickep said:

Could I swap out the S 23 yeast for US-05 yeast in the following recipe?

You sure could.

I like what you are doing.  Learning from what you hear and read.  Trying something a bit different, but not so different as an all grainer who decides to do a SMASH with Pale Malt and POR hops.

Some of the Coopers recipes do not have a hopped concentrate can.

As others say, you will at least make beer.  Plus you will know what this recipe produces.  You can then build on it for the next brew.

2 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

What are you going for here? The yeast is probably the last concern I'd have with this.

There's a reason good beer kits were invented. Why make it harder and brew with just dry malt, plain sugar and a hop? Kits have other grains, malts and hops already in the mix, which provides flavour. I can't help feeling this would a really underwhelming, flavour-free bitter beer.

To be fair this is a recipe I found on another thread here at the forum, someone trying to clone a commercial beer - VB I think. Because I'm new at this I liked the idea of having a crack at doing a 60 min boil and adding the hops Just to get a feel for things. That said I completely understand what you're saying about the kits.

22 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You sure could.

I like what you are doing.  Learning from what you hear and read.  Trying something a bit different, but not so different as an all grainer who decides to do a SMASH with Pale Malt and POR hops.

Some of the Coopers recipes do not have a hopped concentrate can.

As others say, you will at least make beer.  Plus you will know what this recipe produces.  You can then build on it for the next brew.

Cheers Shamus,

I am experimenting and trying to understand some of the basics. Maybe the exclusion of a kit was a bad idea, but I'll learn from it for sure. The recipe I've used is a VB clone which was posted on another thread here by Mitch. I just wanted to have a crack and see if it was close. Thanks for the heads up about the yeast too.

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mmm... so no Brew Concentrate at all?  like a Coopers Pale or a Coopers Bitter... just dry malt and some POR hops?

I think this will be a sad old brew - I did one ages ago before all-graining... where I did just dry malt mostly.... a small bag of liquid malt... and it was drinkable...had alc... but head quality and head retention was dire... 

And yeah S23 and I prefer W34/70 for lagers and cooler temps - are quite different from Ale yeasts which US05 is one - and one I like...  US05 much easier to deal with at warmer temps like 18 deg C... 

Anyway dunno if I have answered the question - but really recommend getting some liquid kit in there... Coopers Real Ale is nice - put in your dry malt and (not liking sugar myself) whatever as well and US05 and see how you go.

I would suggest potentially something else instead - 1 Coopers Real Ale - 1 Coopers Amber Liquid Malt Can 1.5kg - one pack of Coopers BE2 or 3 - and US05 or use the yeast from the Can - 18 deg... and a larvely brew should ensue... and add some extra hops if you want... 

But personal choice... 

Thanks BB,

I've pinched this recipe off the Crown lager VB clone thread written up by Mitch. I kinda like the whole thing of trying the boil and adding hops just to get a feel for things, it's only my 2nd brew. Maybe it was a mistake to go without the kit but but at least I'll learn something from this  - well hopefully anyways.  Thanks for the advice and the recipe suggestions too. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mickep said:

To be fair this is a recipe I found on another thread here at the forum, someone trying to clone a commercial beer - VB I think. Because I'm new at this I liked the idea of having a crack at doing a 60 min boil and adding the hops Just to get a feel for things. That said I completely understand what you're saying about the kits.

Having a crack at a 60m boil is one thing. But those are done with AG brewing, where a grain bill of different grains are mashed to produce the base of the beer. and provide the flavour

Dry malt and sugar isn't going to replicate an AG process. I did a Coopers recipe of unhopped extract and a big hop addition, and it was really ordinary.

• Thanks 1