Coopers Community

Vegemite

Gag.Halfrunt

Ok all you brewing brains out there,

How do we make vegemite from yeast?

An obvious ingredient is salt, but what makes it sticky and black and tasty?

Surely our collective brewers heads can come up with a recipe.  Google gives me nothing on this subject.

Edited by Gag.Halfrunt
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gag.Halfrunt said:

Ok all you brewing brains out there,

How do we make vegemite from yeast?

An obvious ingredient is salt, but what makes it sticky and black and tasty?

Surely our collective brewers heads can come up with a recipe.  Google gives me nothing on this subject.

Let's start with the ingredients...
yeast extract is possibly what's left hiding in the trub, then there's salt, another salt, malt extract (from barley) - so that's probably your missing ingredient, then it gets a bit vague unless you know what colour 150d happens to be, 'flavours', then some vitamins - nacin, thamin, good ole riboflavin and finally folate.

i like vegemite.. but seems that one is cheaper to buy than try and reverse engineer 😄

12 hours ago, Stickers said:

yeast extract is possibly what's left hiding in the trub, then there's salt, another salt, malt extract (from barley) - so that's probably your missing ingredient, then it gets a bit vague unless you know what colour 150d happens to be, 'flavours', then some vitamins - nacin, thamin, good ole riboflavin and finally folate.

i like vegemite.. but seems that one is cheaper to buy than try and reverse engineer 😄

I agree, but its not about the price,its about the challenge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 7:49 PM, Stickers said:

150d is one of the most widely used food colourings in use - it is a water soluable caramel-brown food colouring formed by herating sucrose and has a burnt sugar like odour.  The colour can vary from pale yellow to dark brown.  Cola pop is full of it and accounts for 3/4 of 150d's  use world wide.  It is no stranger to the brewing industry which actually pioneered its use in the 19th century.  

• Like 1