Coopers Community

4th brew started, bit of an experiment based on existing recipe

20 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

From now on they both sizes get two carbonation drops per bottle. And I will do the same for my next two brews which will be Coopers Lager.

Bulk prime. You can do it in the main fermenter, and find the right dose for your brew, regardless of the bottle size. I find it makes bottle day easier.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

No idea how much hops you used.

i followed the shark attack xpa recipe, not sure how old the recipe is but i get the feeling more recent recipes might have become slightly more hoppy ? or maybe even techniques have slightly changed to amplify the flavours in contemporary brews ? but seriously im so new to this i have nothing to reference or compare to ? the other more rational side to my perspective is just telling me that the hops in this recipe are deliberately calculated to play a more background position in the end result ? its just that after having a taste when bottling im having doubts about whether or not i may have done everything properly ? i still think its going to be a drinkable beer but i was just thinking it would be showing different characteristics at this late stage in its creation ?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/shark-attack-xpa.html

9 hours ago, amberfiend said:

followed the shark attack xpa recipe, not sure how old the recipe is but i get the feeling more recent recipes might have become slightly more hoppy ? or maybe even techniques have slightly changed to amplify the flavours in contemporary brews ? but seriously im so new to this i have nothing to reference or compare to ? the other more rational side to my perspective is just telling me that the hops in this recipe are deliberately calculated to play a more background position in the end result ?

Look at the description. Coopers are suggesting this is a beer a like single Fin. Not a hoppy beer., by any craft beer standards. 75g of hops is a decent amount, but very little of it is bittered (boiled) most is steeped off the boil and dry hopped. That provides flavour and aroma rather than bitterness and bite, and is far more subtle.

• Like 1

lol, i had to google "single fin" as i thought it might be some brewing terminology i havent become aware of yet ?. i had no idea there was actually a popular brand in circulation called single fin lol, now it all makes a little more sense yeah, thanks for bringing it to my attention. i guess i will have to buy a few and make comparrisons when my brew is ready 😉

570225997_ScreenShot2020-09-25at10_40_21am.png.c1583efdddd4d94321551d29327d77a0.png