Coopers Community

Adding hop pellets to the fermenter.

Superpride is the hop generally used in Lion brews such as Tooheys. It's very similar to POR but higher bitterness (around 13% alpha acids as opposed to around 8%).

POR is nowadays used principally by Coopers and a lot of growers have got out of it,  so whenever it's available I grab half a kilo, vacuum pack, and freeze.

1 hour ago, Bribie G said:

Superpride is the hop generally used in Lion brews such as Tooheys. It's very similar to POR but higher bitterness (around 13% alpha acids as opposed to around 8%).

POR is nowadays used principally by Coopers and a lot of growers have got out of it,  so whenever it's available I grab half a kilo, vacuum pack, and freeze.

Thanks Bribie so If I dropped the quantity of SP would that equate to a similar bitterness level. It's a strain of POR is that correct?

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

Yes, it's POR that was crossed with an Aussie hop that they don't tell us what it was!  So reduce quantity accordingly.

My software says that for example if you did an all grain 23L brew with POR as the sole hop, boiled for an hour, then 25g of POR would give you a bitterness of around 27 IBU, but Super Pride would only need 16g for the same IBU.

Of course using with a kit as a bittering hop you'd need far less or either because the kit is already bittered depending on the tin.

26 minutes ago, Bribie G said:

Yes, it's POR that was crossed with an Aussie hop that they don't tell us what it was!  So reduce quantity accordingly.

My software says that for example if you did an all grain 23L brew with POR as the sole hop, boiled for an hour, then 25g of POR would give you a bitterness of around 27 IBU, but Super Pride would only need 16g for the same IBU.

Of course using with a kit as a bittering hop you'd need far less or either because the kit is already bittered depending on the tin.

Fantastic mate cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

There are many ways you can add hops to a brew.

The Heritage Lager method is called steeping.  It will give some flavour and some bitterness (but not much).  I would still use a Chux cloth.  Sanitise a 1 litre pyrex jug.  Wrap the hops in the Chux.  Pop the Chux baggy in the jug and pour over your boiling water.  Leave for 10 minutes (or even a bit longer).  Fish out the Chux baggy.  If it is not too hot give it a squeeze to extract a bit more hoppy goodness.  The liquid left in the jug is already strained and ready to be added to the fermenter.

Some of these steps overlap, but my general order is:

1. Light Dry Malt into fermenter with boiling water and swirl to mix
  2. Warm up can in sink, open and pour into fermenter
  3. 3/4 fill the can with boiling water to dissolve extract on sides of can.  Add this to fermenter (USE A TEATOWEL TO PICK UP THE HOT CAN OR YOU WILL FUSE YOUR FINGERS TO THE CAN)
  4. Do the hop steep and add this to the fermenter
  5. Top up with water
  6. Add yeast

Hi @Shamus O'Seanand other Coopers Community members,

With my next brew (No. 8 ) I want to make some simple additions for the first time. Coopers Pale Ale is my favourite extract so far, so I will use that.  I will add a packet of LDM and a Pride of Ringwood or other hop steep. But Nervous Nelly needs more detailed instructions on exactly how and when to add these ingredients. I found this thread on 'adding hops to the fermenter' from 2020. Your instructions seem clear to me so I will give it a go! Thanks for the tips and info.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

With my next brew (No. 8 ) I want to make some simple additions for the first time. Coopers Pale Ale is my favourite extract so far, so I will use that.  I will add a packet of LDM and a Pride of Ringwood or other hop steep. But Nervous Nelly needs more detailed instructions on exactly how and when to add these ingredients. I found this thread on 'adding hops to the fermenter' from 2020. Your instructions seem clear to me so I will give it a go! Thanks for the tips and info.

I doubt you can go wrong following Shamus' instructions. That's why I call him the guru. An alternative to using a Chux type cloth is using a coffee plunger if you have one. It enables you to squeeze every last bit of goodness from the hops and I've found it a little easier to manage than cloths.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Do I add brew enhancer no.2 as well as the Light Dry Malt or instead?

Should have had a better look: I found a post from @Classic Brewing Co - "When I do a Coopers k & k beer say Coopers Pale Ale for example I use the can of extract, BE3, 500gm LDME or LME". So BE 2 or 3 and LDM.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Should have had a better look: I found a post from @Classic Brewing Co - "When I do a Coopers k & k beer say Coopers Pale Ale for example I use the can of extract, BE3, 500gm LDME or LME". So BE 2 or 3 and LDM.

Hi Jenny yes add them both. The reason use BE3 instead of BE2 is because 3 contains more malt rather tan Dextrose, which thins your beer but BE2 is fine just add the 500gn of Malt as well.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jennyss said:

You can add any combination you like, Jenny. It comes down to personal tastes really. Unfortunately you won't know the right answer until you try some variations and decide for yourself.
I used to add more malt to some beers on the recommendation of others here on the forum but found extra malt didn't necessarily make the beer better for me. One of my regular go-to beers is a Coopers Pale Ale tin with BE2 and a hot steep of whatever hops I have on hand. When I used more malt or BE3 I didn't enjoy it as much. That's not to say you won't like extra malt. You might love it, so my advice is try variations until you find your beer utopia. 🙂 

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, jennyss said:

Now I've got a real muppet question 

Don't ever feel inadequate about asking a question here. We were all beginners once and even the most advanced brewers here are constantly learning.
It's much better to ask if you're unsure than to botch a brew because you didn't want to inconvenience anyone. Trust me when I say most of the contributors here are happy to answer the questions to help a fellow brewer on their journey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We are all different in what a beer should taste like/enjoy.

I like the extra malt flavour.

Most of my Pale's have a Kilo of Light Dry Malt and a combo of other different sugars to about 300-400g's

Usually 1k LDM, 200g Dextrose, 2-300g Maltodextrin or Carapils (as a steep)

Then a dry hop of what I have, if I remember..

As an example only, I prefer Ale's, My wife likes Lager's, I'm not much of a lager drinker, will if I have too.

It's all down to an individual person's taste.

Hope you can find your go to beer.

• Like 3

It all comes down to what you want/expect from a can of extract, the work is all done for you just add water, a brew enhancer & the yeast. That will give you an acceptable, basic home brew.

The additions of malts, liquid or dried will enhance your experience & of course quantities will determine the final outcome.

Hops play an important part in the flavour & the bitterness in your brew.

There is no hard & fast rule to the ingredients you use but you need to experiment to find the outcome you enjoy.

Once you have done that you will either stick to the recipe or find ways to improve it.

It is a never ending story.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, jennyss said:

HOUSTON - WE HAVE LIFT OFF, stage one has been completed and separated, stage two has ignition and full power.  Brewer SS Jenny is heading for the stars. 🚀

@jennyss Well done Jen and well done to all the CC team for helping you get into a higher orbit.  We all would love to see some pics of your beers in the what are you drinking thread.

Go Girl!

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 8:52 AM, jennyss said:

Hi Jenny. Have you seen Liam's videos? This one shows you how to add grains and hops to your extract brews: https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support/#video=SB8oZdHFxVw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1