Coopers Community

joelwhf

Hey there! 

Ive been brewing for a while, just using basic Mr Beer Extracts with Coopers Craft beer fermenter (8.5 l). Ive decided to test my hand at more complex brews, and in turn I am currently fermenting the Pumpkin Rising Recipe. After the first initial brew ( and sanitising everything as per usual), it has been sitting in the fermenter. As of last Friday ( I waited 4 days), I cooked and placed the pumpkin puree into the fermenter. Previously, the yeast had been quite active but since I placed the puree in the yeast has become considerably less active ( as per my photo you can see the line from where the yeast it to where it is now). I also use a temp controller and have had it at 20 degrees celsius the whole time. Is it normal for the yeast to calm down after putting in the puree?

I understand this is my first time doing the pumpkin rising recipe, but it would be great to have any guidance, ideas etc. of how to absolutely nail this style. Big pumpkin fan here. Want to make something drinkable ! 😄

20200907_130600.jpg

20200907_130640.jpg

20200907_130614.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 2:34 PM, Gag.Halfrunt said:

Dont forget to report back on how it turns out.

@Gag Halfrunt Great news! It turned out pretty darn good! Good carbonation, great sweet taste and pretty solid body! Pretty nice mouthfeel. Im pretty happy with it. Id give it a 7.5 on the joel-o-meter of beers. Can be better ( especially more pumpkin next time), but damn. Pretty happy with the results. Once I nail this style, I might start adding some chilli in the boil to make it a spicy pumpkin ale. Got some Reapers and Scorpions growing out the back ! 

120095612_2733260043666649_3478959141086891945_n.jpg

After 4 days, it is normal for the yeast to slow down. Some yeasts keep a thick layer on top of the FV, regardless of their activity. When you put the pumpkin puree in, you broke the layer and it all sank to the bottom. No biggie. It'll still finish fermenting. I get that at times and even dropping the hop bag in for dry hopping doesn't break it but  rocking the FV back and forth a little does the trick.

9 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

After 4 days, it is normal for the yeast to slow down. Some yeasts keep a thick layer on top of the FV, regardless of their activity. When you put the pumpkin puree in, you broke the layer and it all sank to the bottom. No biggie. It'll still finish fermenting. I get that at times and even dropping the hop bag in for dry hopping doesn't break it but  rocking the FV back and forth a little does the trick.

Thanks @Aussiekraut . It sure did ferment. Feels pretty alcoholic to me! Did the first proper taste test today. Pretty happy with the results 😄