Coopers Community

light dry malt substitute ?

amberfiend

was just about to commit to a pale ale recipe this afternoon and thought i had all the necessary ingredients ready to go, turns out i have plenty of boxs of brew enhancer but not the extra box of light dry malt that i was sure i had ? what i do have however is a 1.5kg can of british light malt extract. im pretty sure this will be a perfectly adequate substitute for the light dry malt powder but thought i would ask for everybodys advice here first ?

im going to distract myself with a few other tasks for the next hour or so, hopefully somebodys online who can set me straight on this ? would love to avoid having to run up to dan murphys once again if i can help it . spending way to much time there lately yeah 😉 lol

I'm only posting because no one else has and you're looking for a quick answer. I've never heard of british light malt extract but I'm 95% sure it will be essentially the same as the Coopers stuff. Just remember that the liquid stuff is slightly less concentrated than dry. So if your recipe calls for 1kg of dry malt extract, then you need 1.2kg of liquid malt extract.

• Like 1

Go for it. 

Which brew enhancers do you have? Because they have LDME in them as well. Or at least 2 & 3 do. The maltodextrine is a body and head enhancer so will not convert like dex or sugar or LDME. 

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt
Dextrose - 100% dextrose
Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt
Brew Enhancer 3 - 50% light dry malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Go for it. 

Which brew enhancers do you have? Because they have LDME in them as well. Or at least 2 & 3 do. The maltodextrine is a body and head enhancer so will not convert like dex or sugar or LDME. 

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt
Dextrose - 100% dextrose
Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt
Brew Enhancer 3 - 50% light dry malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

i actually made a quick run out to kegland and scored a kilo, but i did have enhancer 1,2 & 3 on hand as well as the kegland enhancer. the recipe in question calls for 500 grams light dry on top of a box of enhancer no:2 so i was just trying to keep it as close as possible to the originial recipe yeah. this will only be my second brew so trying not to get to cocky with experimentation just yet yeah 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Where would be the cheapest place to buy Light dry malt extract from, either in the 1, 5, 10 or 20kg bags?

I get mine from beerbelly.com.au in 5kg bags for $42.50. They ship to Murray Bridge from Adelaide for $8.50 for up to 25kg so I tend to order quite a bit more than just the LDME. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I get mine from beerbelly.com.au in 5kg bags for $42.50. They ship to Murray Bridge from Adelaide for $8.50 for up to 25kg so I tend to order quite a bit more than just the LDME. 😄

Found Beerco.com.au They are based in Melbourne Metro. Very good prices on the LDME. 1kg 5kg and 20kg bags.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Found Beerco.com.au They are based in Melbourne Metro. Very good prices on the LDME. 1kg 5kg and 20kg bags.

Local as possible is best because postage. 

UNless it's my LHBS in MB - he wants over $60 for the same 5kg LDME and everything else is priced way high as well - coopers cans OS series $19. I can get real and Dark ale at Woolies for $12.60. Priced himself out of my business. 😄

• Like 1