Coopers Community

Bunderburg Ginger Beer Bottle Query.

Ocean's of Ale-

♧•  Afternoon mate's I am currently brewing a Morgan's  ginger beer which I've heavily spiced using Cinnamon quills & Cloves & fresh ginger, I'll be bottling it most likely next week sometime.

♧♤• I have about 12 empty bottles of  Bundaberg ginger beer bottles which I'd like to use to bottle my GB in. So my query is can I use these bottles?   Are they pressurized bottles or is the glass to thin to use?                                                               Anybody know or have been bothered to try?

Cheers in advance mate's-20200818_115403.thumb.jpg.6e599116a8486b5cd7032d0525c991b3.jpg

Edited by Ocean's of Ale-
Grammar again, I hated English @ school

@thebeerpig 

•♤Many thanks mate, i assumed it would probly be ok just thought I'd double check it. Years ago I remembered a mate telling me that for some reason he bottled a batch of beer in wine bottles (regular wine bottles not champagne bottles) in any case they all exploded rendering 'Ol mate guttered & angry & with a horrible mess to clean. Most of the batch I'll use longnecks but as I said I had about 12 stubbies I'd really like to use. Now I will.

•♤By the way mate, your bottles there in your photo there are they 250ml throw down bottles by any chance? 

Many thanks for reply mate cheers-

39 minutes ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

By the way mate, your bottles there in your photo there are they 250ml throw down bottles by any chance?

38 minutes ago, Ocean's of Ale- said:

It’s a 375ml bottle like the one in you’re pic but it has a screw top. I fill 2 of these nearly every batch of bottles I brew because they are screw tops (no crown seal capper needed) and use them as first tasters to get an idea of when my batch is ready to drink - before I go pigging out on the bottles. So far they have always gassed up okay and I'm yet to have had any explosions.

• Like 1

All my beer is bottled in Bundaberg ginger beer bottles, but the 750 ml ones with the metal screw cap.. I love ‘em!. ! Never a leak or explosion.,caps are easily fitted and reusable countless times. I’m sure the smaller ones would be fine. As others have noted, they are under pressure with the ginger beer so all should be well. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

They had pressure in them originally, why not? I've used them for beer before, the crown seals fit them. 

+1 for use of the 375 ml Bundaberg Ginger Beer or Sarsaparilla bottles.  I bottle up both my home made ginger beer recipe and Coopers beer kit brew in them and never a problem.

The Bunderberg stubby are a heavier glass bottle than the same sized stubby from say CUB for example.  An empty Bundaberg 375 ml crown seal stubbie weighs 202 g and a CUB 375 ml twist top weighs 189 g so 13 g more glass anyway.

Cheers - AL