Coopers Community

Gelatin

Ryano2

Isinglass and polyclar, sometimes just isinglass if I get lazy like my latest batch. It has turned out pretty clear, but it wasn't dry hopped. Just as effective at dropping yeast but I don't get a jelly like sludge at the bottom with it like I did with gelatine.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't get a jelly like sludge at the bottom with it like I did with gelatine.

I think you must be the only one in the entire history of homebrewing who's experienced "jelly" when fining with gelatin!  😁    I read the jelly globules are a result of overheating the gelatin. 

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Isinglass and polyclar, sometimes just isinglass if I get lazy like my latest batch. It has turned out pretty clear, but it wasn't dry hopped. Just as effective at dropping yeast but I don't get a jelly like sludge at the bottom with it like I did with gelatine.

Where's the best place to get these products? I'm assuming you can let them at your LHBS but also online?

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I think you must be the only one in the entire history of homebrewing who's experienced "jelly" when fining with gelatin!  😁    I read the jelly globules are a result of overheating the gelatin. 

Maybe on this forum but it was a common issue with brewers on other forums I've visited. Whatever the reason, I'm happy with my current products and have no desire to use it again 

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

... it was a common issue with brewers on other forums I've visited. ...

Got some links?  I couldn't find much at all on the issue but would be interested in learning more about the problem.

6 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Got some links?  I couldn't find much at all on the issue but would be interested in learning more about the problem.

Not off hand, but I did read a number of individual posts about moving kegs and it all being disturbed, taking days to settle out again. I noticed the same thing in bottles of my own. Maybe it was to do with preparing it the wrong way, I don't know, but it was certainly enough to make me find an alternative. 

14 hours ago, Norris! said:

Your google-fu is no match for mineScreenshot_20200806-181110_Firefox.thumb.jpg.bd267899b1e62c4b06021f7e3c12c871.jpg

Yeah, I saw that...  but as mentioned I couldn't find much on the the topic, that largely unhelpful HomeBrewTalk thread was pretty much it.  However, just now using the keyword "floaties" yieds another discussion:  e.g link below.    What's curious here is that contrary to advice elsewhere, some are suggesting that it's because the gelatin wasn't actually heated up enough. Others say however it can happen when fining a warm beer.    I therefore conclude no one has a friggen clue why it happens! 😁  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Yeah, I saw that...  but as mentioned I couldn't find much on the the topic, that largely unhelpful HomeBrewTalk thread was pretty much it.  However, just now using the keyword "floaties" yieds another discussion:  e.g link below.    What's curious here is that contrary to advice elsewhere, some are suggesting that it's because the gelatin wasn't actually heated up enough. Others say however it can happen when fining a warm beer.    I therefore conclude no one has a friggen clue why it happens! 😁  

Hahaha, I have come to the same conclusion. I have read to just hydrate it, to warm it up, to microwaving it. I just heat the water up to a boil let it sit fot a bit, nothing scientific and add the gelatin and let it bloom and then stir...I don't know if it is the best method but I get fair results but most brews will never clear with the amount of hops in it, so I sometimes do it sometimes it doesn't matter.

If I am trying to make a lager or something sparkling I will fine but as long as it is tasty I don't care.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Norris! said:

I have read to just hydrate it, to warm it up, to microwaving it. I just heat the water up to a boil let it sit fot a bit, nothing scientific and add the gelatin and let it bloom and then stir...I don't know if it is the best method but I get fair results but most brews will never clear with the amount of hops in it, so I sometimes do it sometimes it doesn't matter.

I used to simply dissolve in cooled boiled water and pour it straight in.  Recent brews I've allowed it to bloom first in cold water... and then after a while add in some pre-boiled water to fully dissolve.  Coincidence or otherwise,  those two batches have ended up super clear,  and after 3 maybe 4 days CC both have seemingly ended up with so little yeast in the bottles they've actually taken close to six weeks to fully carbonate!   It is winter of course so I know it usually takes longer anyway but they were both fermented with Nottingham which still ticks over down as low as 10º.  The last batch I actually loaded into my fridge and set the temp to 20ºC and left it for 10 days but even then it still wasn't fully carb'd!  That batch was bottled on the 21 June and its only this last week that the carbonation level now seems to be where it should be.    

Edited by BlackSands
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, James Lao said:

I use it with every brew - even stouts.

For me it’s not just clarity,  but it negates the morning after flatulence big time!

Ya know  type that will clear the theatre in 2 seconds flat.

Ahh... yes, that was once a persistent issue that doesn't seem to give me any trouble anymore!   

🤞